Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 07:33 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,468,962 times

Advertisements

My blood work came back a couple of weeks ago and my doc told me I'm pre-diabetic. My sugar wasn't that high, but high enough to be pre-diabetic. I don't want to take any meds and want to try & get this under control myself.

Has anyone else here been pre-diabetic and been able to get your sugar back to normal levels without the use of medicine?? How did you do it? Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2009, 09:30 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,677,986 times
You can be pre-diabetic due to overweight or couch potato etc. so ask your doctor what is his recommended course of treatment is for you to stop diabetes now.

Diabeties plays for keeps when it comes to tearing up your body so don't play with it.........you will lose left untreated.

Old 12-27-2009, 09:36 PM

1,009 posts, read 4,038,231 times
Diet Guidelines
Blood Sugar 101

Old 12-27-2009, 10:03 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Diet and exercise. I won't bother posting diet info since tortoise did.

Lose weight if you're overweight. If you're not overweight, you still need to excercise.

This is the reason your doctor doesn't want you drinking fruit juice. Even natural suger should be avoided as much as possible right now.

When you get it under control, you can try moderation---but moderation should be best kept for eating fresh fruit, not juice.

Diabetes runs in my family.

Every single family member (aunts, uncles, cousins, parents (dead)) has diabetes except for my sister and me.

We both have taken the risk very seriously. We have kept our weight under control throughout our lives and excercised.

Even with our weight under control, we both made diet changes when we were in our early 30---after our father died.

It's a huge lifestyle change when you get the wake-up call, but it's well worth it.

I've never been a big food person so the changes were easy for me.

If you have food issues and/or eating disorders, seek therapy. Your life depends on getting over those issues.

I also recommend joining a diabetes support group. Even finding one online would be beneficial.

Old 12-28-2009, 12:18 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
omigawd

You need to watch this video:

Dr. OZ tells cowboy with health problems go veg or die

Someone posted it in the weight loss forum, but it applies to diabetes too.

In just a month, this man went from being an actual diabetic to well on his way to being free of diabetes simply by changing his diet.

This doesn't mean you need to go vegan. It just shows what a difference a diet change can make when it it comes to diabetes.

Old 12-28-2009, 02:48 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,785,443 times
I would eat more fruits and veggies.
I would also look into the low glycemic index diet.

Exercise should also be made a priority.

Food & Fitness - American Diabetes Association

I wish you the best of luck.

Old 12-29-2009, 08:29 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,468,962 times
Thanks for the great replies everyone!

I know I have to lose weight (A LOT of weight!) and I absolutely need to get out and move. I love fruits/veggies and will absolutely start eating more. I've cut back a lot on those fruit juices and have bought a few gallon jugs of water and only drink water when I'm at work. It's not that bad (LOL!)

Thanks again!

Old 12-29-2009, 08:32 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times
You would be surprised how much exercise alone can help you. Get out there and start walking, running, lifting weights etc. Start doing baby steps, don't try to do everything all at once!

Old 01-05-2010, 12:06 PM

39 posts, read 98,933 times
Since you already got a lot of advise, I would skip similar suggestions.

If you eat bread or any bakery products, look for those that are made with sourdough, with no additional sugar. Ask your doctor if you can take prebiotics and rye, they are good for prevention of type II diabetes.
I would take yoga lessons or start some kind of low profile exercise so your blood sugar level would not drop too low and became hypoglycemic. Look for alternative food that can fine tune your pancrea; consult your doctor.
best wishes

Old 01-07-2010, 08:38 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,551,923 times
Make sure your doctor took a fasting blood sugar too.

I had one decide to test my blood sugar when I went in for something else and he blew off that I had grabbed something to eat on the way to the office. A lot of people put stuff in coffee and forget about it [I don't but.......I have accidently grabbed that cup of joe on fast mornings].....He told me I was prediabetic with "100" even though my fasting one normally runs around 80 and was just fine with a glucose tolerance test and the other test they do. It has been several years since with no problems and no whacko tests.

But don't get complacent. All this advice is right on, regardless. Go low glycemic all the way around and excercise! I too have to loose a lot of weight and excercise seems to hold the key for me - 25lbs since Oct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes