Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 09:55 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Hi all. Today I got the news from my Dr. that I have Type 2 diabetes. I had been feeling bad for awhile and having strange symptoms, the main one being heart palpitations (irregular heartbeats) that I couldn't tie to anything. He couldn't say for sure if the palps were 100% caused by the extremely high blood sugar, but does suspect it's the cause. Have any of you have this symptom?

Anyway, he prescribed Meformin which I am to start taking tonight, and just wondering what to expect. I am not much of a medicine taker, usually try to go the natural route if possible, so this is new for me. Does it have any horrific side effects? Will I have to be on this for life, or will diet and exercise be enough once it's under control?

I was also wondering if losing more weight will help with my numbers. I have dropped over 30 lbs. over the past few years, I am over 5'8" tall and currently weight 166, trying to get back to about 145. I do exercise several times per week, and also see a chiropractor for adjustments and massage (I have back and arthritis issues).

I will be reading this forum a lot the next few weeks to learn more about this. I felt depressed when he gave me the diagnosis but hopefully you all can reassure me it won't be that bad.

Thanks!
I have a book that will help you tremendously I can send you a copy in USMail or attach a copy in email or you can get it as a free ebook online.

Just a second and I'll see if I get find the link.

Cornerstones4Care

You have to register then sign in and on the right bottom of the page they have an area for free ebooks. Look for "Carb Counting and Meal Planning", excellent book. If you get it and have questions I'm more than happy to answer what I can. I know that book front to back, my husband is diabetic and we have followed that book for the last 1.5 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 06:45 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I have a book that will help you tremendously I can send you a copy in USMail or attach a copy in email or you can get it as a free ebook online.

Just a second and I'll see if I get find the link.

Cornerstones4Care

You have to register then sign in and on the right bottom of the page they have an area for free ebooks. Look for "Carb Counting and Meal Planning", excellent book. If you get it and have questions I'm more than happy to answer what I can. I know that book front to back, my husband is diabetic and we have followed that book for the last 1.5 years.
thanks for the link, that looks helpful!

Old 02-27-2012, 08:40 AM

1,787 posts, read 5,747,801 times
Quote:
thanks for the link, that looks helpful!
I just glossed over the site and it looks like it has a ton of helpful information. Thanks for posting the link.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:28 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
I just glossed over the site and it looks like it has a ton of helpful information. Thanks for posting the link.

No problem at all also if you do have any questions I will be happy to answer them the best I can. Even though I am not diabetic but Sneakers is I cook one meal and we both followed the guidelines in this book, I lost 10 pounds in about 2 weeks and had to force myself to eat everything every day. Good luck with all of this, it can be very confusing and very overwhelming when you first get started.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:03 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,747,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
No problem at all also if you do have any questions I will be happy to answer them the best I can. Even though I am not diabetic but Sneakers is I cook one meal and we both followed the guidelines in this book, I lost 10 pounds in about 2 weeks and had to force myself to eat everything every day. Good luck with all of this, it can be very confusing and very overwhelming when you first get started.
I think the information can help experienced and non-experienced diabetics. Knowledge is for everyone.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:37 PM

326 posts, read 704,333 times
Low GI foods are low Glycemic index foods - a measure of how quickly glucose from a particular food item is digested and entered into the blood stream -- as an example white bread has a high glycemic index as it is just starch whereas a health wheat bread has a lower GI as the fiber and protein content of the bread slow the digestion of the starches.

I am curious about the hypoglycemia that I heard a few times mentioned here -- is that a symptom that occurred before beginning metformin treatment?

Old 10-13-2012, 11:33 AM

240 posts, read 586,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
My husband was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in 2008, was taking Metformin twice a day 500 MG then gradually it was increased to 1,000 mg twice a day. He has lost alot of weight over the last year and I am happy to say he is off meds and diabetes is gone. That's not true for everyone as southernbelle has said but it can happen for some. limit your carb intake, sugar intake, check your sugar before each meal, breakfast, lunch, dinner. Sometimes my husband's sugar would go below 90 and he would feel weak so for him a peice of dark chocolate did the trick. His sugar never went below 70 thankfully. It had gone as high as 300 at one point because he was on prednisone for Pneumonia he had. That medicine spikes your sugars but the doctor knew that and said he was not worried because he would only be on that medication for a week. My husband finally decided last year to get on the band wagon and do something about his weight. So far he has lost 85 lbs. he has another 80 to go.
When a persons diabetes "goes away" and they are off meds don't stop taking your sugar readings once in a while. For example once a week or once a month. I personally know one guy started living the life of a non-diabetic because he got wonderful reading for quite awhile and found out his diabetes had not gone away when 10 years later he had his leg amputated.

Hope your husbands is gone forever but hope he lives kind of like he has still got it. In fact if everyone in the world that hasn't got diabetes lived like they have diabetes the obesity problem would be gone and there would be far less diabetes. The only thing different about a diabetic from a non-diabetic is that the non-diabetic is not forced to live on a healthy diet like a diabetic if the diabetic wants to live for a long time and enjoy good health other than diabetes. By the way I have been a diabetic for many years.

Sad part is if everyone started to live like they were diabetics thousand of companies that produce the "no nos" would be out of business and the economy would collapse the rest of the way.

Congratulations on his weigh loss. I'm five pounds behind him and it took me a long time because I used the slow loss methods. But they certainly have been permanent.

Old 10-13-2012, 11:42 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Hi all. Today I got the news from my Dr. that I have Type 2 diabetes. I had been feeling bad for awhile and having strange symptoms, the main one being heart palpitations (irregular heartbeats) that I couldn't tie to anything. He couldn't say for sure if the palps were 100% caused by the extremely high blood sugar, but does suspect it's the cause. Have any of you have this symptom?

Anyway, he prescribed Meformin which I am to start taking tonight, and just wondering what to expect. I am not much of a medicine taker, usually try to go the natural route if possible, so this is new for me. Does it have any horrific side effects? Will I have to be on this for life, or will diet and exercise be enough once it's under control?

I was also wondering if losing more weight will help with my numbers. I have dropped over 30 lbs. over the past few years, I am over 5'8" tall and currently weight 166, trying to get back to about 145. I do exercise several times per week, and also see a chiropractor for adjustments and massage (I have back and arthritis issues).

I will be reading this forum a lot the next few weeks to learn more about this. I felt depressed when he gave me the diagnosis but hopefully you all can reassure me it won't be that bad.

Thanks!
If you are willing to make drastic dietary changes, you can go 100 percent raw and that will not only get rid of your diabetes, but you will certainly drop the additional weight you are carrying around.

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-30-2012, 06:39 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
Once a diabetic always a Diabetic. Sad as it is thats the way it goes until a cure is found. I would not hold my breath on that one. One can control thier Diabetes to the point, it is at the reading for a non diabetic. The control has become so good, that they can go off thier Meds. I'm speaking of Type II Diabetics here. A Type 1 will always need insulin no matter how good the control is.

One of the saddest things with Diabetes beyond the disease itself is this. Finding the proper doctor, that will take the time to explain Diabetes in detail. I'm always sorry to hear when so many Diabetics feel, that if thier control is so good. That thier numbers come down to a non diabetic level. That they are no longer a Diabetic. Sadly that is not so. Diabetes does not go away once it is diagnosed. Many then get careless with thier strict routine and you know what happens. Stop eating the proper diet, Not exercising enough. Just plain return to the pattern, that got them on the road to Diabetes to begin with.

Something else. Anyone on Metformin that has difficulty with the side effects of this drug. There is a substitute for regular Metformin. It is the extended release form of the drug. This is much easier on the Diabetic that has the common gastrointestinal problems and or nausea common with Metformin. Metformin ER is a little more expensive than regular Metformin, but its worth it when the side effects are must less.

Old 02-16-2013, 07:38 AM

178 posts, read 355,485 times
Quote:
I felt depressed when he gave me the diagnosis but hopefully you all can reassure me it won't be that bad.

Thanks!
Hey there!! dont be depressed! I know it is very hard to not to be but depression can make your case worse. My mother was diagnosed with diabetes years ago, her blood sugar remains too high but when she started look after her dist and physical activities, there was an incredible change in her blood sugar, she got a little control over it, although sometime her blood sugar level starts to swing due to depression and some other tensions but a healthy lifestyle has totally changed her life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes