Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 09:40 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,047,357 times

Advertisements

I just found this article and I have the symptoms of being hungry a lot. I just thought it was frequent urination and thirst:

Pre-diabetes - How to prevent pre-diabetes from becoming type 2 diabetes

This has just hit me that I have the symptoms

I did good today without cookies or ice-cream, but really ate more than a half a cup of that orzo (with tomatoes, oil and spices). I noticed I am always hungry or maybe I don't eat enough. So each time I am hungry I nibbled like every 2 hours something...apple, soy milk, nuts, etc. I am not vegan but eat a vegetarian diet including eggs, cheese and fish, but not every day either. Someone at the gym told me about eating every 2 hours for some reason, I forgot but that is what I did today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 01:15 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
I use to be a vegan or close to it many years ago, until I lost my Dad unexpectedly. My whole life had changed. I use to make my own salad dressing to everything to deserts. I even worked out like 2.5-3 hrs 3 to 4 times a week. Ever since this summer when I turned another year older, I started having health issues. It is one thing and then another. So what is next is what I say, and it was a cavity ( and I haven't had one in 30 years or so) and now my A1C level has increased from the summer. So, what is next, I hope nothing.
Yeah -- grief can do that. After I lost my mom tons of physical crap happened to me, too -- up to badly twisting my leg in a fall and not being able to work for three months.

Are you testing your blood sugar? When I was diagnosed I tested several times daily to get an idea of what was going on, along with keeping a food diary. I test on my arm, and I'm a big baby -- doesn't hurt at all.

Writing down everything you eat is just AWFUL to do -- I'm not a writer downer kind of person -- but it really gave me a handle on what does what to me. Rice and beans spike my sugar badly, but I can handle potatoes and whole grain breads. Especially when I eat them in the PROPER PORTIONS. Portion control is the thing.

And the weight fell off. Trust me, writing it down makes you very aware of what you are eating and WHY... and when you become aware of everything you eat....you start thinking do I NEED this, or am I just stuffing food in my mouth because it's there.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:07 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,047,357 times
Quote:
Are you testing your blood sugar? When I was diagnosed I tested several times daily to get an idea of what was going on, along with keeping a food diary. I test on my arm, and I'm a big baby -- doesn't hurt at all.
The Doc didn't mention anything about checking my sugar

Quote:
Writing down everything you eat is just AWFUL to do -- I'm not a writer downer kind of person -- but it really gave me a handle on what does what to me. Rice and beans spike my sugar badly, but I can handle potatoes and whole grain breads. Especially when I eat them in the PROPER PORTIONS. Portion control is the thing.
I have a phone app that I am keeping track on, which also has a website. I do notice that I eat a lot of carbs.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:30 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,527,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
Last time my Doc checked me, my A1C reading was 5.9. Unfortunately it now went up to 6.1 from my Docs office today. She wants me to limit my carbs and do cardio. I mostly do a stretch and a weight class at the gym, besides walking my dog which could be 30 mins to over an hour.

I was doing good for a while, but slacked. I was using my phone app fora website that kept track of my carbs and all I ate, but I slacked big time. I haven’t had baked potatoes in a while and switched to Coke Zero, which I hardly drink. But I have a bad habit now if I don’t eat lunch I eat cookies, but today an ice-cream.

Suggestions are appreciated.
Please eliminate soda (in all forms) from your diet. Artificial sweeteners are just as bad (actually worse) for our bodies than real cane sugar.

Medscape: Medscape Access

Old 03-29-2012, 01:08 AM

19,206 posts, read 16,689,350 times
Get yourself a glucose monitor and test your blood at home for a few weeks to get a good idea of what you're up against.

You can turn this around. Just because you "might" be pre diabetic, it doesn't mean you'll become diabetic. Make some changes in your diet, get come exercise - even just a walk a day helps. Check your blood glucose and keep a journal of your meals and activity and see how it goes.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:07 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Please eliminate soda (in all forms) from your diet. Artificial sweeteners are just as bad (actually worse) for our bodies than real cane sugar.

Medscape: Medscape Access
I totally agree about soda -- bad bad bad. We switched years ago to sparkling water with essenses, when we realized that what we really liked was the carbonation.

And I'm hearing that carbonation isn't all that good for you... so I've cut back on that.

As a side note -- not all granulated sugar is made from sugar cane. Sugar is also made from sugar beets. If all you are doing is sweetening with it, it doesn't make a difference which you use. But in baking, especially if you have to manipulate a dough, you want cane sugar. It's superior for baking.

Old 03-29-2012, 02:11 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I totally agree about soda -- bad bad bad. We switched years ago to sparkling water with essenses, when we realized that what we really liked was the carbonation.

And I'm hearing that carbonation isn't all that good for you... so I've cut back on that.

As a side note -- not all granulated sugar is made from sugar cane. Sugar is also made from sugar beets. If all you are doing is sweetening with it, it doesn't make a difference which you use. But in baking, especially if you have to manipulate a dough, you want cane sugar. It's superior for baking.
Totally agree about the sodas. I haven't had any in decades. I do love the sparkling waters like LaCroix or Polar. But I even limit those. Most of the time I drink plain water, or add some lemon juice. I also like cold herbal tea like hibiscus tea.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:21 AM

22,660 posts, read 24,589,306 times
I just do not get the soda thing. I mean yeah, I drank some when I was a kid.....not that much. I do not think I have drank more than a six pack as an adult.....have NO desire to drink that C**P.

I see people in Walmart and other stores............usually big-fatty people...........case upon case of the junk.....I really do not get it.

Old 03-30-2012, 04:26 AM

18,717 posts, read 33,380,506 times
Also, remember that for many people, refined carbs (bread, pastry, cereal) is as bad as straight sweets. People think of "no sweets" but don't know about carbs sometimes. Everyone is different.
I think eating every two hours is absurd.
I agree that OP should find out what the problem is, if any, before making a diagnosis or taking advice from this person or that one.

Old 03-31-2012, 02:07 PM

18,717 posts, read 33,380,506 times
A co-worker of mine uses Stevia for coffee or tea and says that is better for diabetics (or anyone, actually) than "artificial sweetners." I'm not talking about lots and lots of sweetner of any kind, more like a few packets a day in coffee or tea. Does anyone know? There are so many rumors, especially about anything that is processed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes