Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2012, 04:44 AM

6,224 posts, read 6,616,013 times

Advertisements

Sorry to ask another dumb one but my roommate & I argued over this. I say ALL carbs raise BS.

He says (vs but what I say to severely limit, even if no current insulin problems yet) popcorn, fruit, hard-boiled egg, Trident gum (w/ Sucralose/Aspartame/Malitol or other fake sugars) etc. are ok (as I don't have insulin problems/diabetes that I know of now but dad has Type 2 & is overweight. I'm a non-smoker, have daily red wine, no meds currently -- other than baby aspirin/fish oil/Vit. D -- about 5/8", 162 lbs & workout daily w/ weights &/or cardio).

What is correct? Will eating air-popped nightly or 2 granny smith apples, etc. as snack affect me longterm? I know it is carbs, thus affects BS somewhat, yet it is full fiber & so should not spike much? Do pros outweigh cons when eating daily these snacks?

If I need to quit asap it is no problem. Best safe than sorry later, yes? Ok, thanks much again everyone for putting up w/ more confusion, as I come to experts in the field for info, vs him who has no experience other than a big ego.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 12:14 PM

1,009 posts, read 4,038,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
don't have insulin problems/diabetes that I know of
Determine for yourself which foods spike blood sugar by testing with a glucose meter 2 hours after consumption. 10 minutes on an exercise bike (or similar equipment) should lower blood sugar.

Old 04-07-2012, 03:46 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
Type II Diabetes has a lot to do with genetics and not only what you eat. My doctor was (female) 5'6" and weighs 115. At her heaviest she weighed 120. Very physically fit, jogs every day and works at the gym 3 days a week. So yes, because your father is Type II, you could be headed down that path. A heavy person is more susceptable and can bring it out sooner in life. By staying trim and fit, you have a better chance, but it doesn't mean that it's not going to happen.

Carbs are in most everything you eat and you should be careful with carbs. There are good carbs and bad carbs. Some carbs can be processed by your body more easily than other carbs. Good rule of thumb is white food is a no no. White Flour, sugar are good examples. Anytime you can keep carbs in check, it's better, but you are still going to encounter carbs. Most white bread is 22 carbs or higher, where as the cracked wheat bread I buy is only 14 carbs.

Now add to that that people are different on how each individual processes carbs. One person can eat pasta and not have a problem and the next person can eat pasta and their Blood Sugar goes through the roof. One person can eat pasta and their system processes it in 3 hours and the next person takes 6 or 7 hours to process.

So Diabetes is NOT an exact science that works on every individual, every time. All you can do is do what you can.

I've found that keeping a journal of every bite of food I eat has been very beneficial. I have to test my blood sugar 4 times a day. At the end of the week I go through my journal/spreadsheet and look at readings that were higher than normal. Some of them can be attributed to a particular item and, there for, can be avoided, but I've found that some combinations can cause higher than normal readings. I can eat a particular item and my body handles it just fine, but if I eat it with another item, the two can cause me to have higher than normal readings.

Because Type II runs in your family, now is the time to start paying closer attention to it. I would recommend that you pick up a meter and test yourself once a week while fasting. Say every Thursday morning, before you have anything to eat or drink, you test your blood sugar. This could give you a heads up so that you can discuss it with your doctor and get a head start on it. Remeber the old saying, an ounce of prevention......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes