Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 03:36 AM

4,103 posts, read 7,026,947 times

Advertisements

Hey guys. Ever since I've gotten super serious about controlling my diabetes I'm just not interested in eating anymore. I tend to be on the ridiculously sensitive side with carbs. So many of them throw my blood sugar into a frenzy that I barely have the desire to eat. I used to love food so much and now I just don't. There's not much more I can eat besides protein and veggies. I find myself going to meal replacement drinks a lot because I just don't want to eat another piece of meat or eat another vegetable. At the same time, I know I can't really eat what I want either. I do take a multivitamin to supplement the nutrition I'm not really getting. Anybody else ever feel this way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 04:20 AM

17,390 posts, read 16,532,427 times
I'm doing lower carb for weight loss purposes and I totally understand what it's like to do without my beloved carbs. But one thing I have noticed is that there are many, many people in the same boat who are also really good and creative cooks.

Check out some of the low carb recipe sites and you will find a wide variety of dishes that are low carb but absolutely delicious, too. After you make a few of those dishes, you'll find it easier to improvise in your own kitchen and you'll be able to create dishes that satisfy your craving of the week without putting your health in jeopardy.

Yes, it's more of an effort but it's worth it, IMO. What foods do you find yourself missing the most?

Old 01-24-2013, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I'm doing lower carb for weight loss purposes and I totally understand what it's like to do without my beloved carbs. But one thing I have noticed is that there are many, many people in the same boat who are also really good and creative cooks.

Check out some of the low carb recipe sites and you will find a wide variety of dishes that are low carb but absolutely delicious, too. After you make a few of those dishes, you'll find it easier to improvise in your own kitchen and you'll be able to create dishes that satisfy your craving of the week without putting your health in jeopardy.

Yes, it's more of an effort but it's worth it, IMO. What foods do you find yourself missing the most?
Many fruits, beans, rice, pasta, bread. I do cook well but I think I'm just exhausted with it all. It is what it is, though.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:11 AM

17,390 posts, read 16,532,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitasway View Post
Many fruits, beans, rice, pasta, bread. I do cook well but I think I'm just exhausted with it all. It is what it is, though.
I totally understand. There are just times when you want to eat what the rest of the world seems to be eating.

Have you tried the low carb pasta (Dreamfields) to see if that spikes your blood sugar?

Also, I've found that if I put my focus into making a really good sauce (with fresh herbs), serving it over spaghetti squash, eggplant or zucchini is pretty satisfying. I also brown ground turkey and add in taco seasoning, then serve over a bed of spinach with tomatoes, onions, peppers, etc. Top with a little cheese and some salsa - pretty good. All the flavor of tacos without the tortillas or shells.

Do you like crab legs, lobster, shrimp? Always good for a pick me up - IMO. Hang in there!

Last edited by springfieldva; 01-24-2013 at 09:20 AM..

Old 01-24-2013, 11:40 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,611,310 times
I completely understand where you're coming from, I feel like I have to put away the things I normally would have had before when I go food shopping now because of either too high sugar, too high carbs or both.

I have been learning to get pretty damn creative with my cooking to not get bored. I've found quite a few diabetic cooking recipes that are pretty good and there's a lot of options. The main thing to remember is that there are healthier substitutions for just about everything.

Certain fruits, beans, rice, pasta and breads are okay to have, as long as you don't overdo it. The main thing is to have it in moderation. For instance bananas, cantaloupes and grapes will shoot up your blood sugar, however passion fruit, apples and raspberries are fine. Red lentils and black beans are also good alternatives and avocados are actually a good healthy option.

If certain foods you already have throw you into a tizzy, try to either eat a small portion or try to cook it with other ingredients that are not adding to the problem.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
I completely understand where you're coming from, I feel like I have to put away the things I normally would have had before when I go food shopping now because of either too high sugar, too high carbs or both.

I have been learning to get pretty damn creative with my cooking to not get bored. I've found quite a few diabetic cooking recipes that are pretty good and there's a lot of options. The main thing to remember is that there are healthier substitutions for just about everything.

Certain fruits, beans, rice, pasta and breads are okay to have, as long as you don't overdo it. The main thing is to have it in moderation. For instance bananas, cantaloupes and grapes will shoot up your blood sugar, however passion fruit, apples and raspberries are fine. Red lentils and black beans are also good alternatives and avocados are actually a good healthy option.

If certain foods you already have throw you into a tizzy, try to either eat a small portion or try to cook it with other ingredients that are not adding to the problem.
Those fruits may be fine for you but they aren't for me. Every diabetic is different and I am extremely sensitive, more so than a lot of other diabetics. I guess this was more of a vent thread than an asking for suggestions thread. I know what my body can and can't handle through experimentation and it won't take much.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:49 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,611,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitasway View Post
Those fruits may be fine for you but they aren't for me. Every diabetic is different and I am extremely sensitive, more so than a lot of other diabetics. I guess this was more of a vent thread than an asking for suggestions thread. I know what my body can and can't handle through experimentation and it won't take much.
I hear you. I only recently got a glucose meter since I was diagnosed on the 15th. I haven't yet fully taken in what causes me to spike and what doesn't. So far I have noticed that if I have any sweets, even if they're sugar free cause my blood sugar to rise. I'm now curious how fruit will affect me. Even more strange - pasta did not affect me anywhere near as bad as I thought it would.

The meal replacement drinks I hear you on. I was using the Boost ones, but will be switching to Atkins because it only has 1g of sugar.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:14 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
Don't worry about sugar, worry about carbs as they contain sugar plus. Ask for a referral to a diabetic educator, insurance will cover it. You get a lot of info about diet.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:28 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times
I've tried to cut down on carbs and such. Try to eat mainly meat and veggies, but Im not real good about the veggie part. I snack on nuts but I miss things like baked potato and rolls and pizza. I may have a piece of them now and then but I miss them. Its hard.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:26 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
I am with you...carb cravings....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes