Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 12:08 PM

15,643 posts, read 26,334,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHourDiabetic View Post
sargentodiaz,

To date, no one has reversed their type 2 diabetes with medication. However, numerous folks have reversed their t2dm with lifestyle changes, both through nutrition & exercise. The cases vary from person to person, but most cases of t2dm are reversible. The numbers of diabetics are staggering as medical doctors attempt to treat this condition with medications alone. This treatment is akin to trying to bail water from a sinking ship without plugging the hole first. And the nutrition guidelines by the ADA & USDA will not address a diabetics needs. The hardest challenge is reversing behavioral patterns that have been in place for 10+ years to get results.

All the best,
Frank
Can I correct something for you? Doctors are attempting to medicate this, because people see pills as the panacea for eating right and exercising. People aren't willing to do the work. I'd probably be dead by now if I weren't a janitor. Pushing a 16 pound vacuum cleaner 1/4 of a mile daily, vacuuming 28 stairwells, and washing walls of windows does a body good.

I've known people who eat badly, won't change and feel like garbage, because it's easier to complain than it is to change. I've known people who embrace change, but go from crazy to crazy diet scheme in an attempt to find the fad that works... and they also feel awful because these fads aren't balanced.

I know a woman who convinced a doctor to give her a gastric bypass when she was barely overweight. She was ill for a year after wards.... after the illness passed, she looked GREAT!!! walking around with a bag of Hershey's kissed shoveling them into her mouth one after the other -- she couldn't taste them as fast a she ate them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 01:28 AM

194 posts, read 253,102 times
Biotin (B7) works in synergy with insulin in the body, and independently increases the activity of the enzyme glucokinase. Glucokinase is responsible for the first step of glucose utilisation, and is therefore an essential component of normal bodily functioning. Glucokinase occurs only in the liver, and in sufferers from diabetes its concentration may be extremely low. Supplements of biotin may have a significant effect on glucose levels for both type 1 and type 2 diabetics

Some evidence shows that taking chromium picolinate (a chemical compound that contains chromium) by mouth can lower fasting blood sugar, lower insulin levels, and help insulin work better in people with type 2 diabetes. Chromium picolinate might decrease weight gain and fat accumulation in type 2 diabetes patients who are taking one of the prescription drugs called sulfonylureas. Higher chromium doses might be more effective and work more quickly. Higher doses might also lower the level of certain blood fats (cholesterol and triglycerides) in some people. Beginning research suggests that chromium picolinate might have the same benefits in patients with type 1 diabetes and in patients who have diabetes as a result of steroid treatment. However, researchers are looking carefully at the results that show chromium might be effective for treating diabetes. It might not help everyone. Some researchers suspect that chromium supplements might primarily benefit patients with poor nutrition or low chromium levels. Chromium levels can be below normal in patients with diabetes.

A 1997 study involving 180 type II diabetes patients in China Elevated intakes of supplemental chromium improve g... [Diabetes. 1997] - PubMed - NCBI http://nutrapure.sg/wp-content/uploa...-Diabetics.pdf , documented “spectacular” results in diabetes patients who took 500 mcg chromium picolinate twice daily. After four months, nearly all of the diabetes patients no longer had traditional signs of diabetes. Their blood sugar and insulin levels dropped to near normal—something that medications could not achieve. Even more importantly, the “gold standard” diagnostic measure of diabetes—blood levels of hemoglobin A1c (sugar-damaged proteins that age cells)—also dropped to normal. A follow-up study by some of the same researchers monitored 833 type II diabetes patients who took 500 mcg chromium picolinate twice daily: a significant reduction in fasting blood sugar levels and in post-meal blood sugar levels was found during the ten months of the study. No negative side effects were shown from taking the supplements. In addition, more than 85 percent of the patients reported improvements in the common diabetic symptoms of excessive thirst, frequent urination and fatigue. Many diabetes patients who inject insulin—both type I diabetes patients, and type II diabetes patients who are in more advanced stages of the disease—respond positively to chromium picolinate supplementation. About 70 percent of both types of diabetes patients show improved insulin responsiveness after taking 200 mcg supplemental chromium per day. Some experience such improved insulin sensitivity that they are able to reduce the amount of insulin they inject or the amount of other blood-sugar-lowering medications they take

Old 10-27-2014, 08:59 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,460,404 times
Ultimately its up to her to want to change the lifestyle that her and so many others are also suffering from..There are many who claim that diabetes can be reversed or eliminated to the point you no longer need medications,one such example =To learn more about reversing type 2 diabetes, and living healthfully with type 1 diabetes, read Dr. Fuhrman's book The End of Diabetes. if you want to do it through diet and exercise alone Its a tough course of action that i generally followed for about 2 months but reached a plateau at a weight loss of 20lbs and a halving of my diabetic medications, whats needed is a total lifestyle change
Bariatric surgery can also be effective but either way it requires reducing the amount and type of food you eat.. Be aware your friend knows she is morbidly obese and isnt in the best of health,broaching the subject with her probably wont go over too well. Send books or resources anonymously.

Old 10-27-2014, 07:24 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,703,220 times
Diabetes is largely a matter of genetics. True with diet we can keep the A1C respectable and the glucose levels reasonable. But the body will continue its march toward the end clinical points, albeit at a slower pace. Diet and lifestyle can only slow the progression. Worthwhile? Yes of course.

Old 10-27-2014, 07:59 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,804,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortpes View Post
Diabetes is largely a matter of genetics. True with diet we can keep the A1C respectable and the glucose levels reasonable. But the body will continue its march toward the end clinical points, albeit at a slower pace. Diet and lifestyle can only slow the progression. Worthwhile? Yes of course.
Can anybody verify this is true? I'm no expert here and don't have diabetes.

The new thinking in genetics is that genes are plastic and express themselves or not, depending on external factors. This means you can shape the way your genes express themselves by the way you live, at least to some extent.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:22 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,703,220 times
NO I cannot verify that it is true. I only say that statement as that is what I observed over many patients over many years. I found it a likely explanation of why many patients experience the negative long term consequences of diabetes in spite of good control. However, clearly every diabetic should strive for very good control.

Old 10-28-2014, 03:04 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,460,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
Can anybody verify this is true? I'm no expert here and don't have diabetes.

The new thinking in genetics is that genes are plastic and express themselves or not, depending on external factors. This means you can shape the way your genes express themselves by the way you live, at least to some extent.
Cant verify anything but i have noticed diet playing a major role in the severity of my diabetes.
Following a strict diet nay reduce your diabetes to non existent levels but the fact remains you still have diabetes, step off that strict diet and you'll be right back where you started.

Old 11-05-2014, 12:11 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,017,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sargentodiaz View Post
Some interesting videos and brief article @ Can Type II Diabetes be Reversed? - Conservative Hideout 2.0

I'm not a doctor but have heard more than a few claims similar to this that seems to make sense. I notice that when I follow some low-carb meals, my blood sugar level drops without having to increase my Novolog insulin. So, it was worth my time to view the videos. Judge for yourselves.\\

yes, i did it. went from type 2 using insulin/metformin on and off over the past 3-4 years to last year deciding to drop the weight through diet, exercise and.... adderol. yup, killed my appetite then went on medifast diet, got near my bmi and passed two a1c tests within normal range over a six month period. doc said he rarely sees it, no more meds required, and if i gain the weight back i'm get the diabetes back. diabetes sucks and affect my life more than i thought. still not at bmi weight but by end of the year (2mos) should definitely be there. i've been splurging lately so maybe i gained 2-5lbs but now that day light savings kicked in, going back to hibernation mode.

good luck.

Last edited by Dr. Clean; 11-05-2014 at 12:57 AM..

Old 02-07-2015, 03:13 PM

350 posts, read 418,287 times
Check out the Newcastle diet. Here's the link

Type 2 diabetes and the diet that cured me | Life and style | The Guardian

Old 09-18-2015, 10:26 AM

9,545 posts, read 16,584,751 times
I have known people that are Type II, and do not fit the profile at all. They are thin, fit, athletic yet they have Type II, usually by the time they are in their 20's or 30's. They could eat a diet of nothing but low carbs, and no sugar. They could spend 2 hours at least every day exercising. Yet they still have high blood sugars. I'm one of them, and I go between being called a Type I and II. Diabetes is a very confusing disease, and I would say not enough is known about the why of it.

Watch the Diabetes commercials on TV, and look at the actors in the commercials. Most if not all of them are overweight people, that suggest Diabetics live a sedentary and poor diet lifestyle. As if that is the only person hit by the Disease. I think a lot more study, needs to be done on this Disease as to the why. Why those that don't fit the criteria have the disease, yet many people that are even obese do not.

So no I do not believe at all, that Diet and Lifestyle Reverse Type II or whatever else number the Medical Community wants to call Diabetes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes