Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2014, 11:59 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,660,295 times

Advertisements

I have a friend and coworker who has diabetes. In 2011 she was not on insulin, but was by sometime in 2013. She does not watch her diet - she eats a lot of sugar and starch. She has gained a lot of weight. The disease is causing problems with her eyes - she has to use the magnifier on the computer screen to see to type, plus a magnifying glass for papers. She has sores on her lower legs that have been infected and are not healing well. She also has high blood pressure. She is only 56 years old yet she is a time bomb at this point. She is depressed and overwhelmed and I don't know how much support she gets at home (she has a husband and two grown daughters). She is very devout. But she seems depressed and maybe resigned. Very tired. I and others have talked to her, encouraged her, let her know we care - yet she continues her unhealthy behavior. We don't want to put her on the defensive, we just want to help - be there for her and support her in healthy living. But we just don't know what to do at this point. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 06:31 AM

295 posts, read 835,110 times
Unfortunately, I don't think there's much you can do for her except be there for her when she needs support and perhaps, IF she asks for help, try to help her find that help and/or encourage her to see her doctor. But only if she asks for that help. The thing is, she has to "own" her diabetes and until she admits she has a problem, she will be defensive if you bring health matters up. No matter how much you love her, she has to help herself so you must step back until (and if) she reaches out.

One thing you can do if you have her over say, for coffee or a meal, provide lower carb foods. But that's about all.

I hope she finds it within herself to reach out and help herself to better health.

All just my opinion.

Old 07-29-2014, 01:02 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,958,574 times
Uncontrolled diabetes can cause weight gain and make a person very tired. It's possible that her vision would improve if she started eating right and exercising...my vision was very blurry before my diabetes was diagnosed. Within two weeks of starting diabetes meds and reducing my carb intake, I could see again. Sometimes vision problems in diabetes are caused by damage to the small blood vessels in the eyes...that usually means that small blood vessels all over the body are also damaged. It's important to get a diabetic eye exam every year. If she were my mother, I'd nag her until she got a diabetic eye exam and saw an endocrinologist. But it's hard or impossible to make suggestions like that to a coworker.

She probably has to reach a crisis point before she really makes a change.

Old 07-30-2014, 03:51 PM

15,646 posts, read 26,341,981 times
Hate to say this -- but it's not your problem. SHE has to want to change.

And it's hard. She not only has to change HER diet and lifestyle -- she has to change her family's diet, and as resistant to change as she is -- you can bet they are just as bad.

My husband just said yesterday "If I had to do what you do, I'd be in big trouble because I just can't."

Yes you can, but you have to want to.

If you want to help -- make sure any snacks you bring in are low carb -- think veggies and ranch dressing, not donuts or bagels or sweets. Start talking about what you're making for dinner and talk about it being low carb and healthy and TASTY.

Too many times people think healthy food is tasteless. I watched a few episodes of the 600 pound life show and frankly -- if I had to east like that, I think I'd stay fat. I mean -- yeah, you have to eat boneless skinless chicken breast, but jeezaloo -- you can JAZZ IT UP. There's a ton of easy low carb pan sauces to dress a chicken breast -- and by the way -- everyone should have an instant read thermometer to make sure you cook your chicken to the right temp and to not overcook it.

Depression is common with diabetes. I just went through a depression, and I ate my way out of it -- result? My A1C is 8, and my liver is messed up, and my BG is in the 160's. YAY!!

Now I'm back on the straight and narrow, listing my intake in my food diary, counting the carbs, testing my BG twice a day and exercising. Gag -- it's SO boring. In the past few weeks I've lost 8 pounds, and I'm feeling better, and I know I'll be back under control by the next blood test, even though the A1C won't be under 7 yet.

And yet -- damn I wish I could hammer back some cookies. Sugar and flour are really like dope -- as good as I feel with out it, I still WANT it.

It's a wretched fact -- she's got to do this on her own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes