Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2014, 07:27 PM

7 posts, read 6,539 times

Advertisements

There are many types of newer home diabetes tests that are available rather than only the traditional test that people have used for years. Variations to the traditional test offers less pain and requires less amount of blood that is needed to be drawn. Newer home diabetes tests simply provide a mechanism that automatically pricks your finger tip, causing almost no entry wound.

One very new testing system that provides a major reduction in pain is the laser diabetes test. It works just like the traditional test, except a laser beam is pointed at the finger and easily pricks it. Other home testing kits are available that tests blood from an area like the thigh. However, testing in any other area beside your finger tip does not show more recent changes in your blood sugar levels.

Prior to conducting a test, you should wash your hands with antibacterial soap to ensure cleanliness. It is important to always avoid infections even during the simple testing process. In a typical testing kit, there will be various supplies including a thin testing strip.

After using the small mechanism to prick your skin, you simply place a drop of blood on the strip. Then, insert the strip into the diabetes testing meter. The appliance will then read your blood and be able to tell you what your blood sugar levels are at that time. Then, based on what your physician has instructed regarding what your safe blood level should be, you will be able to assess if it is too high, low, or normal.

It is actually very simple to test your blood level at home. Based upon the type of blood sugar meter you have purchased, it may be able to provide you with additional functions as well. These are not necessary, but you may find them helpful. One example is a home testing machine that now has the ability to save previous readings of your blood sugar that you have taken which helps you to compare any future changes.

Article Source: http://tinyurl.com/mvlhgvg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 03:48 AM

3 posts, read 3,823 times
The usual glucose levels analyze involves pricking your finger with a small needle called a lancet,putting a drop of blood vessels on a analyze strip, and using a meter that shows your glucose level. Blood glucose metres and analyze strip are available at your local pharmacy.

Old 12-10-2014, 04:50 AM

35,308 posts, read 52,514,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deroki View Post
There are many types of newer home diabetes tests that are available rather than only the traditional test that people have used for years. Variations to the traditional test offers less pain and requires less amount of blood that is needed to be drawn. Newer home diabetes tests simply provide a mechanism that automatically pricks your finger tip, causing almost no entry wound.

One very new testing system that provides a major reduction in pain is the laser diabetes test. It works just like the traditional test, except a laser beam is pointed at the finger and easily pricks it. Other home testing kits are available that tests blood from an area like the thigh. However, testing in any other area beside your finger tip does not show more recent changes in your blood sugar levels.

Prior to conducting a test, you should wash your hands with antibacterial soap to ensure cleanliness. It is important to always avoid infections even during the simple testing process. In a typical testing kit, there will be various supplies including a thin testing strip.

After using the small mechanism to prick your skin, you simply place a drop of blood on the strip. Then, insert the strip into the diabetes testing meter. The appliance will then read your blood and be able to tell you what your blood sugar levels are at that time. Then, based on what your physician has instructed regarding what your safe blood level should be, you will be able to assess if it is too high, low, or normal.

It is actually very simple to test your blood level at home. Based upon the type of blood sugar meter you have purchased, it may be able to provide you with additional functions as well. These are not necessary, but you may find them helpful. One example is a home testing machine that now has the ability to save previous readings of your blood sugar that you have taken which helps you to compare any future changes.

Article Source: http://tinyurl.com/mvlhgvg
You sound like you are new to diabetes as everything you mention has been available for years,
If you are trying to inform us of something new i seem to be missing it.
The link does have good common sense advice that all diabetics should be aware of.
Thanks for sharing..

Old 12-13-2014, 01:02 AM

77 posts, read 215,296 times
Sounds more like an advertisement to me.

Old 12-14-2014, 09:00 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,865,844 times
Sounds like an ad to me too and esp from such a new poster.

I had an interesting thing happen to me last yr--I was getting worried about my blood sugar so I bought a glucose meter and went home and did a fasting test. It was 126 and I was upset about that so I went on the Atkins diet and several wks later tested again and it was 106! This was after losing 10 lbs and eating no carbs and I never could get it under 100. I went to the doc and got it tested and it was 71. I'd gotten a defective meter but I'm grateful bc it caused me to lose the weight.

Old 12-19-2014, 01:24 AM

77 posts, read 215,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Sounds like an ad to me too and esp from such a new poster.

I had an interesting thing happen to me last yr--I was getting worried about my blood sugar so I bought a glucose meter and went home and did a fasting test. It was 126 and I was upset about that so I went on the Atkins diet and several wks later tested again and it was 106! This was after losing 10 lbs and eating no carbs and I never could get it under 100. I went to the doc and got it tested and it was 71. I'd gotten a defective meter but I'm grateful bc it caused me to lose the weight.
Congrats! Curious though, why do you think you had a defective meter? You did the proper thing -- you cut out a lot of sugar and lost weight, so your numbers went down. I'd guess with that same defective meter, you'd get around a 71 today. Good job!

Old 01-08-2015, 03:56 AM

5 posts, read 6,532 times
i bought a diabetic machine.bu do not know how to use it.no manual.

Old 01-14-2015, 02:16 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,467,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassJoe View Post
Congrats! Curious though, why do you think you had a defective meter? You did the proper thing -- you cut out a lot of sugar and lost weight, so your numbers went down. I'd guess with that same defective meter, you'd get around a 71 today. Good job!
I am wondering the same thing. Maybe the original result really was accurate and the lifestyle changes kicked in and demonstrated how well they work.

I bought my meter as a result of reviewing some medical records of about 4 years ago when I noticed an "out-of-range" BG result that my then doctor never bothered to discuss with me.
Subsequent annual checks reported as "normal" where 95, 90 and this past year 84, which also paralleled some weight loss over these years.

Until I read how the "90's" range is not as innocuous as the drs. report it to be. This coupled with my mother's Type 2....and now I switched to low carb and truly regular exercise just to avoid another hypochondria crisis in the future, my most recent one being triggered by a pneumonia episode.

My BMI is 26 and in clothes I look anything but fat - but wanting to look "really" good (as in "hot") has never been much of an incentive for me to stay on track with low carb and exercise. I tend to slide back into periods of crass sedentarism and high carb feasts because I just never cared about "hot".

The horrible anxiety episodes that I get when I fear some life-threatening diagnosis ...now that's another story. The best motivator ever for hypochondriacs.

So I hope to reach my goal of 25 BMI and regular FBG results in the 70's soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes