Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 10:45 AM

128 posts, read 207,649 times

Advertisements

Not to where my father is concerned, he's a skinny string bean of a man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 04:41 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,863,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post

So no, I don't think obesity cause diabetes. There are some researchers who now believe diabetes causes obesity, not the other way around.
I agree with this.

My dad, my sisters and I are all obese, and the only way any of us has been able to lose weight was while taking metformin.

One of my doctors said that it seems like her patients who are at a healthy weight when they're diagnosed with diabetes have a much harder time controlling it than patients who are overweight or obese.

Old 06-17-2015, 06:52 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,149,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I agree with this.

My dad, my sisters and I are all obese, and the only way any of us has been able to lose weight was while taking metformin.

One of my doctors said that it seems like her patients who are at a healthy weight when they're diagnosed with diabetes have a much harder time controlling it than patients who are overweight or obese.
I've had a couple of doctors over the years say the same thing.

I know my blood sugar numbers do not seem to be impacted by my losing or gaining weight. What does impact my numbers majorly is when I have an ulcerative colitis flare-up.

Old 06-18-2015, 04:32 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,279,929 times
"Many normal weight people with type 2 diabetes have excess visceral fat. Visceral fat is the type of fat surrounding the body’s abdominal organs and is highly metabolically active, producing a variety of hormones that influence glucose and fat metabolism. Fat cells release fatty acids into the blood stream that can damage the muscle cell’s ability to properly attach to insulin causing resistance, as well as affecting the glucose output of the liver."

In short, aside from genetics eating a diet high in fructose containing foods and or fructose combined with fatty foods such as donuts, pies, etc can cause fatty buildup in the liver (non alcoholic fatty liver disease) , promote insulin resistance, and bring on type 2 diabetes even in thin and athletic people, though athletic people will have a much higher tolerance for fructose than thin people who do not exercise.

A lot of kids and teens get fatty liver early in life due to the obscene amount of sugary junk in their diets and they simply don't know any better to not be eating it. When I was in high school I could get nutty bars and ho-hos for lunch, mountain dew out of the vending machines, etc. I thought that because I was thin I could eat whatever and it was fine. Not true. Fructose, especially without enough choline in the diet, will build up in the liver.... and with choline in the diet there's some studies that suggest choline causes fat in the arteries though nothing conclusive... if true it would mean the fat eliminated from the liver just gets deposited elsewhere.

Old 06-19-2015, 08:28 AM

18,001 posts, read 27,450,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
"Many normal weight people with type 2 diabetes have excess visceral fat. Visceral fat is the type of fat surrounding the body’s abdominal organs and is highly metabolically active, producing a variety of hormones that influence glucose and fat metabolism. Fat cells release fatty acids into the blood stream that can damage the muscle cell’s ability to properly attach to insulin causing resistance, as well as affecting the glucose output of the liver."

In short, aside from genetics eating a diet high in fructose containing foods and or fructose combined with fatty foods such as donuts, pies, etc can cause fatty buildup in the liver (non alcoholic fatty liver disease) , promote insulin resistance, and bring on type 2 diabetes even in thin and athletic people, though athletic people will have a much higher tolerance for fructose than thin people who do not exercise.

A lot of kids and teens get fatty liver early in life due to the obscene amount of sugary junk in their diets and they simply don't know any better to not be eating it. When I was in high school I could get nutty bars and ho-hos for lunch, mountain dew out of the vending machines, etc. I thought that because I was thin I could eat whatever and it was fine. Not true. Fructose, especially without enough choline in the diet, will build up in the liver.... and with choline in the diet there's some studies that suggest choline causes fat in the arteries though nothing conclusive... if true it would mean the fat eliminated from the liver just gets deposited elsewhere.
This.

Genetics smenetics imo.

99% of the food out there is junk. It's hard to eat right imo and ime.

I make a salad every morning to take to work for lunch, make my own dressing, make a veggie and fruit smothie, make my own omlete, and bring some leftover food of something we cooked from scratch the night before, and I bring a small handful of nuts/seeds to snack on, drink about 100+ oz of water a day and a couple cups of coffee black in the am.

I lose weight doing this, feel better, have more energy, etc. I refuse to get diabetes. Hope some of you with d2 can at least help yourselves with proper diet.

Old 06-20-2015, 10:58 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,863,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
This.

Genetics smenetics imo.

99% of the food out there is junk. It's hard to eat right imo and ime.

I make a salad every morning to take to work for lunch, make my own dressing, make a veggie and fruit smothie, make my own omlete, and bring some leftover food of something we cooked from scratch the night before, and I bring a small handful of nuts/seeds to snack on, drink about 100+ oz of water a day and a couple cups of coffee black in the am.

I lose weight doing this, feel better, have more energy, etc. I refuse to get diabetes. Hope some of you with d2 can at least help yourselves with proper diet.

And if you don't have a family history of diabetes, that will probably be enough for you. I cook from scratch and have for years and that wasn't enough to overcome my family history.

Old 06-21-2015, 12:30 AM

11,027 posts, read 5,978,490 times
It's always been my understanding that sugar and refined carbs caused both weight gain and type 2 diabetes, i.e. it was diet related. Some people will be genetically more resilient than others. The explanation from stockwiz is the first explanation I have heard that is different to the simplistic insulin spiking hypothesis.

Do people who do not consume refined sugars and starches get type 2 diabetes?

Old 06-21-2015, 08:33 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,149,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
It's always been my understanding that sugar and refined carbs caused both weight gain and type 2 diabetes, i.e. it was diet related. Some people will be genetically more resilient than others. The explanation from stockwiz is the first explanation I have heard that is different to the simplistic insulin spiking hypothesis.

Do people who do not consume refined sugars and starches get type 2 diabetes?
Because of dietary restrictions created by Ulcerative Colitis, I do not consume any refined sugar and the only starches I get are from vegetables. Not only am I not overweight, but there are times when I struggle not to be underweight. I have type II diabetes. Have had it since I was 19 and at the time I was on the track team.

Old 06-22-2015, 02:12 AM

11,027 posts, read 5,978,490 times
Interesting, thanks. Were you on that restrictive diet from a young age then?

Old 06-22-2015, 02:25 AM

692 posts, read 956,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Because of dietary restrictions created by Ulcerative Colitis, I do not consume any refined sugar and the only starches I get are from vegetables. Not only am I not overweight, but there are times when I struggle not to be underweight. I have type II diabetes. Have had it since I was 19 and at the time I was on the track team.
If you were thin, in shape and had diabetes since 19, I doubt your diabetes actually is type 2. If anything, the info you gave suggests T1 diabetes over anything else, especially since Ulcerative Colitis and T1DM are both auto-immune mediated disorders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes