Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2016, 10:59 PM

586 posts, read 830,562 times

Advertisements

Sorry if I sound dumb but I am a pre diabetic and have been doing research online. I have spoken with my doctor but the best advice he has given me is to lose weight, eat healthy, and exercise which really is the only advice. My blood sugars are not high enough for me to be on meds.

I have been trying my best to live by the guidelines. I know it was my fault to begin with for gaining weight. I started gaining weight when I was 17 and I didnt have a psychological problem or anything, I just didnt make wise choices with the food I ate. My dad passed away about half a year prior, and my mom was too depressed to cook so she gave me money everyday so I could buy something to eat, and I always ended up eating fast food or pizza for a good half a year, this life style carried on even when I went to college. The past few years, ever since having my own family, I have stopped eating fast food and just focus on home cooking, but I know I need to get rid of this excess weight. I've lost 20 lbs so far but still have a ways to go.

Most health articles on the web are pretty much from an optimistic point of view, however something that really stood out to me was "it is a progressive disease." Does that mean that people will have it will end up dying from it, or going blind, or getting their limbs chopped off even if they go back to practicing a healthy lifestyle? Lets assume that 1 year from now, I will reach my target weight, exercise for at least 40 minutes at least 4x a week (depending on what my future schedule will be like, remember this assuming things go my way a year from now), and eat healthy for the most part will I still have to deal with the consequences of the disease?

I asked my doctor because I was really paranoid at the time and he said the reason my sugars are higher than normal is because of my weight, if I went back to a healthy weight, chances are it could resolve on its own, there's really no way of telling how my body will react until I do reach my goal. So some questions that I have, otherwise I swear I wont be able to go to bed tonight.

1. If someone turns their life around and leads a healthy life style (weight, activity, diet) will they need to be in constant fear of the negative side affects of the disease?
2. I'm only 26, will I die by the time I'm 46?
3. what happens if they have a chat meal? Say its their birthday and someone treats them out, can they be naughty for the night and have whatever they want (Let's say they feel like having pasta) is that the end of the world? What about eating out once a week?
4. What if someone goes on a week long vacation and leaves all their worries behind them and of course traveling means eating out, will they have to pay a price for eating whatever they want?

Again, lets assume that you are answering for someone who is a prediabetic or a diabetic who turned their life around and now is at a healthy weight and stays active. I really want to lead a healthy lifestyle but scared diabetes will cut my life short. There's still a lot I want to accomplish and I really dont want to die when I'm in my 40's or even my 60's. I am really just wanting to look whats ahead in the future. I am so scared of dying young. Thanks for all the answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2016, 10:54 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
My hubby has type 2 and takes medication for it... he ignores a lot of what hes been told about food and drink.. I dont think he takes it as serously as it can be.. I think since he took very ill with Rheumatoid Arthritis three years ago the diabetes has gone on to the back burner. and not as important to him.......... but many people cope and live a long life. so stop worrying...

Old 09-03-2016, 11:05 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
From everything I hear about Type 2 it can about be reversed with nutrition, weight, exercise etc.

A friend who is about 40 and bordering on diabetes, took control and took off over 82 lbs and now exercising and is one happy person. She eliminated all WHITE FOODS....and still does. She does not to spend her life on drugs. We are in charge.

Old 09-03-2016, 12:57 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,974,750 times
I've had type 2 for years, have never been overweight. Rather than take insulin, I control my carb intake, which keeps my A1c (the number doctors use to gauge blood sugar over a few months at a time) under 6, which is very good for a diabetic. My diabetes is controlled, not reversed. I am and will always be a diabetic, no matter what I do.

I'm saying you can control diabetes if you take the time to understand how it affects your body. My oldest sister has had diabetes for a couple decades, and she controls hers the same way I do. She has no discernible diabetes-related damage to her body, and she's nearly 80 years old.

Control is the key to living with diabetes.

Old 09-03-2016, 01:36 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,381,108 times
Being a diabetic doesn't mean you have been given a death sentence. It does, however, mean that you have to live a more disciplined life now. This involves exercise (daily), diet (eat healthy foods with plenty of vegetables and limit starches) and routine follow up with your doctor for lab monitoring and any medication he/she prescribes. I assume you are already taking metformin. It also means there are some things you should just avoid (alcohol and sugary sweets -- especially high fructose corn syrup).
There is a ton of good info on the internet (webMD, diabetes association, American heart association, Mayo Clinic...).

Old 09-03-2016, 01:59 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,436,891 times
If you aren't diligent with control YES, otherwise it is not!

Old 09-03-2016, 02:02 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,338,536 times
It's up to you now.

Old 09-03-2016, 05:42 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,720,252 times
I think the term pre-diabetic shouldn't exist. It doesn't mean you even have it yet, or you may not even get it. Beyond pre-diabetes, there is adult onset type 2, which is like sometimes you have diabetes numbers, & sometimes you don't. Not a big deal. I met someone who had diabetes numbers over 200 & had to have injections. That's when a person has to be careful about diet & even try to have a good calm.

I got a 125 diabetes # at a physical, I was sent to diabetes class. They gave me a tester, never had another 125 for years. They also gave us the horrible advice to have all the diet pop we wanted. The drugs in diet pop can cause weight gain.High #s can occur when one is nervous, as is sometimes the case while at a doctor for physical or other test. When the numbers don't stay high, no cause for alarm. Best wishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by conlainhothuong View Post
I am a pre diabetic and have been doing research online. I have spoken with my doctor but the best advice he has given me is to lose weight, eat healthy, and exercise which really is the only advice.

I started gaining weight when I was 17 and I didnt have a psychological problem or anything, I just didnt make wise choices with the food I ate. I need to get rid of this excess weight. I've lost 20 lbs so far but still have a ways to go.

"it is a progressive disease." Does that mean that people will have it will end up dying from it, or going blind, or getting their limbs chopped off even if they go back to practicing a healthy lifestyle? Lets assume that 1 year from now, I will reach my target weight, exercise for at least 40 minutes at least 4x a week (depending on what my future schedule will be like, remember this assuming things go my way a year from now), and eat healthy for the most part will I still have to deal with the consequences of the disease?

Again, lets assume that you are answering for someone who is a prediabetic or a diabetic who turned their life around and now is at a healthy weight and stays active. I really want to lead a healthy lifestyle but scared diabetes will cut my life short. There's still a lot I want to accomplish and I really dont want to die when I'm in my 40's or even my 60's. I am so scared of dying young. Thanks for all the answers.

Old 09-05-2016, 08:28 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,412,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conlainhothuong View Post
Most health articles on the web are pretty much from an optimistic point of view, however something that really stood out to me was "it is a progressive disease." Does that mean that people will have it will end up dying from it, or going blind, or getting their limbs chopped off even if they go back to practicing a healthy lifestyle?
As a Type 2, which you are not at this time, you would probably have to ignore all medical advice for this to happen.
Quote:
Lets assume that 1 year from now, I will reach my target weight, exercise for at least 40 minutes at least 4x a week (depending on what my future schedule will be like, remember this assuming things go my way a year from now), and eat healthy for the most part will I still have to deal with the consequences of the disease?
Later in life that's possible, especially if there is a strong family history. But given your age, even with a a strong family history, if you make changes now, you could be symptom free for decades.
Quote:
1. If someone turns their life around and leads a healthy life style (weight, activity, diet) will they need to be in constant fear of the negative side affects of the disease?
You don't need to live in fear, just be smart and aware, and continue those yearly check-ups.
Quote:
2. I'm only 26, will I die by the time I'm 46?
Most likely not from diabetes.
Quote:
3. what happens if they have a chat meal? Say its their birthday and someone treats them out, can they be naughty for the night and have whatever they want (Let's say they feel like having pasta) is that the end of the world? What about eating out once a week?
Be naughty for a night, but not one night every week. You can still eat smart when eating out. Eat smaller portions and take the rest home. Don't eat bread served with dinner. If you have pasta, get it with meatballs or some other protein, and don't eat it all. Substitute veggies for fries. Even if you're being naughty for just one night, eat what you want but still limit the amount. You can still enjoy the food without overeating. And give up the idea of eating a full dessert portion at one sitting ever again. If it's a special occasion, share with someone.
Quote:
4. What if someone goes on a week long vacation and leaves all their worries behind them and of course traveling means eating out, will they have to pay a price for eating whatever they want?
Yes, they will pay a price! Reverting to a previous lifestyle for a week is backtracking. You can go on vacation and you can eat out, but you can't eat whatever you want for a week and not expect consequences. Make lifestyle changes and stick with it.

Old 09-06-2016, 10:26 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,469,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
From everything I hear about Type 2 it can about be reversed with nutrition, weight, exercise etc.

A friend who is about 40 and bordering on diabetes, took control and took off over 82 lbs and now exercising and is one happy person. She eliminated all WHITE FOODS....and still does. She does not to spend her life on drugs. We are in charge.
Type 2 diabetes can be reversed in some cases. The damage can be undone if you follow a good diet. If your blood sugars are normal your body will restore itself for the most part. It depends on how long your sugars go uncontrolled and what damage it causes. Keeping your numbers normal is a problem for most diabetics. When I say normal I mean between 70 and 100. An average BG for a non-diabetic is about 87. You CANNOT go back to your old ways or it will come right back. The diet thing is NOT temporary.. Exercise and weight loss is important but diet is most important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes