Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 04:45 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,460,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Have you tried diabetic meds?? My husband is on metformin and Glimepiride. he's type 2. before adding the Glimepiride we couldn't get his sugar below 250. By adding this his sugar has been as low as 80 and as High as 160. I will admit he started to not watch what he ate for awhile. But he's back on track. Skipping meals and fasting is not good either. Limit fruits to once a day. Limit carbs, eat a lot of protein and veggies. Do not snack after 7 pm. If you must have a snack then have it within 15 minutes after dinner. If my husband eats a snack late in the evening I find his sugar is higher in the AM. Processed carbs turn into sugar which isn't good either. if you buy whole grain bread make sure it does not have HFCS. it's better not to eat foods with that in it. Portion control is important too. My doctor told him to stay away from white rice.
Read up on high Glycemic foods and try to avoid them if you are at risk for or have diabetes=Glycemic index and glycemic load for 100+ foods - Harvard Health
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2017, 04:59 AM

20,993 posts, read 28,558,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Read up on high Glycemic foods and try to avoid them if you are at risk for or have diabetes=Glycemic index and glycemic load for 100+ foods - Harvard Health
Thanks.

Old 04-06-2017, 04:13 PM

21,948 posts, read 25,318,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rent.in.nyc View Post
What Jamin says is common sense.
Also fruit juices are off the table, especially orange juice, full of sugars, often 30%.
No, it isn't. At all.

A small glass of orange juice for many diabetics is fine. A small glass of orange juice, waffles drenched in maple syrup is not fine. It depends on progression of diabetes. Many people with type II will do fine with a small (4 oz) glass of orange juice.

That doesn't mean it's advised as basically it's a cumulative effect. Someone who is prediabetic at 20 may very well want to complete avoid all fruit juice and even limit fruits period. Someone who is 75 and prediabetic a small glass of orange juice is a non-issue. As long as it's not a small cup of orange juice with the syrup drenched waffle for breakfast, a gallon of sweet tea throughout the day, pastries for a snack.

Old 04-07-2017, 09:04 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,517,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
No, it isn't. At all.

A small glass of orange juice for many diabetics is fine. A small glass of orange juice, waffles drenched in maple syrup is not fine. It depends on progression of diabetes. Many people with type II will do fine with a small (4 oz) glass of orange juice.

That doesn't mean it's advised as basically it's a cumulative effect. Someone who is prediabetic at 20 may very well want to complete avoid all fruit juice and even limit fruits period. Someone who is 75 and prediabetic a small glass of orange juice is a non-issue. As long as it's not a small cup of orange juice with the syrup drenched waffle for breakfast, a gallon of sweet tea throughout the day, pastries for a snack.
As I mention in another thread, some of the ADA's dietary advice is not so good but other than their recommendations on milk, on this one they are spot on. Juice is not recommended for diabetics. It may not be that simple. If you are on medication and/or insulin it may not be that bad since the spikes are more or less controlled. Diabetics that are only diet controlled should avoid them, the whole fruit is always better. Not only that, unless you buy "no sugar added" juice, most of the stuff that is sold at supermarkets is way sweeter than it should be.

What Can I Drink?: American Diabetes Association®

Old 06-12-2017, 11:30 AM

30,742 posts, read 19,407,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conlainhothuong View Post
So last time on here, I said I was diagnosed as a pre-diabetic. Since then, I have mostly watched what I ate, my diet consists of mostly veggies and fresh fruits, organic whole grains etc. Doc said since I am technically not considered a true diabetic at the time I was tested, I didnt need to check my bs 4x a day yet, just maintain a healthy diet, although he did give me a kit so I can check once in awhile.

This morning, I had breakfast at my mom's house. I had what she had, 2 pieces of organic 100% whole wheat toast, and whole eggs. I made absolute sure to check the nutrition value. I am no stranger to eggs, so I know they dont have much carbs probably less than 1%? The toasts were 20 grabs each, but had 3g of fiber so I was taught to subtract the fiber leaving a net carbs of 17g. Two pieces would = 34 grams of carbs. I only drank water. 2 hours later, I felt like checking my blood sugar and really given what I ate, I was considering it to be fine, but to my horror it was 229!!! I have another spare kit, so I checked again using that, 226!!! How in the world is this possible? I will definitely make an appointment to see my doc, but is there a valid explanation for this?

At 9:30 am that morning I ate a small bite (and I really mean small, I know what I'm dealing with here, so I wouldnt dare eat too much) of a granola bar, just enough for me to taste it. Can that really small bite raise my blood sugar that much? I didnt eat a whole bar, just a bite to get the taste.

I am devastated, and feel like all my effort to eat well is meaningless. I am supposed to PREVENT full blown diabetes, not trigger it. Really, just want to give up and let myself deteriorate but I look at my kids and conclude this mentality is irresponsible, but I really dont understand where I went wrong, at least this morning. Any inputs from long term diabetics? Thanks

Update: Its down to 178, 30 minutes after I last tested.
Read the book "Plant Paradox." You are probably creating visceral fat from eating lectin in your diet if this book is correct. I recently tested my blood sugar and it was averaging about 163 over a few days. I ate IAW with the recommendations of Plant Paradox and a week later was down around 100. As an aside, I've followed the eating plan about 2 weeks and lost 12 lbs. so far.

Old 06-12-2017, 11:49 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,644,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Read the book "Plant Paradox."
I'll check into this. Thanks!

I've quit drinking commercial fruit juices. I mostly eat whole apples but occasionally I will juice one with some veggies and a little of the expensive greek yogurt with little sugar.

Old 07-23-2017, 06:50 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,687,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Can I ask those who take Turmeric, how much they take and how you feel it is helping you?

Does anyone drink Crystal Light and how or if does it affect your BG?
I have tried turmeric capsules, but I didn't see any effects on BS levels. This past week I have tried just taking magnesium along with the janumet, and my BS level readings have been doing VERY well.

Old 07-24-2017, 09:29 PM

29,536 posts, read 22,813,842 times
Cut out the meats, dairy, eggs, and eat good carb sources, plenty of fruits and veggies and legumes. Also exercise of course.

Old 07-25-2017, 08:14 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,559,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Cut out the meats, dairy, eggs, and eat good carb sources, plenty of fruits and veggies and legumes. Also exercise of course.
Reduce proteins in order to reduce blood sugar levels???? That's questionable advice.

Old 07-25-2017, 08:35 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,687,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
This advice goes against everything I am learning on DM 2 management.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes