Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 02:10 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,474,587 times

Advertisements

Most larger cities have diabetic clinics where you can avail yourself of the expertise of a team of diabetic educators consisting of an endocrinologist a nurse and a dietician,google diabetic clinic in your area.Once you have diabetes you need to change your lifestyle to include a much more rigorously controlled diet,more exercise,and lose the excess weight,if your bs numbers are still high you probably need to start taking the drugs that will bring your bs numbers down.
It will help you to spot trends if you start a daily log book of your bs readings,noting readings before breakfast lunch and supper.

PS,op i notice you post in the Portland section,assuming thats Portland Oregon =
https://www.google.ca/search?q=portl...k1.CWjI3ehPVJI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2016, 01:15 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,858,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Yes you mentioned that before in the same post you said you eat pretzels as a snack.
Some times I do, so what?

Nothing more healthy than lovely green romaine lettuce leaves as a sandwich wrap. I often buy the organic romaine.

Old 10-11-2016, 01:24 PM

48,630 posts, read 35,099,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Some times I do, so what?

Nothing more healthy than lovely green romaine lettuce leaves as a sandwich wrap. I often buy the organic romaine.

Because you keep saying you do not touch any processed white foods. You say you haven't touched them in years.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-13-2016, 02:37 AM

jaminhealth
I think the reason you dont have diabetes is not because of your diet or all the pills and potions you take but you are just not genetically predisposed to diabetes.

Old 10-13-2016, 01:08 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,958,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
jaminhealth
I think the reason you dont have diabetes is not because of your diet or all the pills and potions you take but you are just not genetically predisposed to diabetes.
I agree...if it doesn't run in your family you're not as likely to get it. If your parents or siblings were diabetic and you aren't, then it could be your diet.

It's really hard to prove a negative...can't say that a supplement or diet has prevented you from getting diabetes because you don't really know that you ever would have developed it.

Old 10-13-2016, 01:57 PM

102,310 posts, read 108,476,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
If you are pre diabetic, fruits are off the menu. Refined carbs too. Get your carbs in fresh green veggies. Best diet is protein/veggies/water.
THIS! OP, it's interesting that when you presented your diet in your first post, everything you mentioned was carby. You didn't mention protein or greens. You should be focusing on protein & green veggies (NOT root veggies!). 2 slices of toast, even if whole grain, is too much! Fruit--out! Unless you have a thin slice or two of apple, say, after first having some protein (cheese, for ex.). When I buy an apple, it lasts me a week or more, lol, because I only take off 2 thin slices, very thin. Some docs would say even that's too much.

I do have toast. But I choose the bread very carefully at the store. I look all over town for the lowest-carb bread, aiming for about 12 carb grams/slice (that includes subtracting for 1 or 2 grams fiber). Some are around 14 grams, so I slice off a corner, or a crust. You really have to toe the line, OP. And then eggs-wise, I have 2 whole eggs + 2 egg whites, to boost the protein level. A good dose of protein is essential to keeping your metabolic hormones (which govern the blood-sugar levels--insulin is a hormone) stable. You should ingest some hormones FIRST, before having your carb item. Actually, I mainly do omelets, which I add cheese to, for more flavor and protein. A few slices of yellow squash or zucchini, or maybe tomato and spinach, and you have a really filling meal.

Get the book, "Protein Power" from Amazon--it's only a couple of $$, and it explains in great detail the effects of various foods, including different types of oil, on the body. It also has charts for how much protein you need at what weight, and how many carb grams different foods have. AND, most crucially, it discusses the importance of exercise and building lean muscle mass to maintaining stable blood sugar. Do you work out? If not, you should start this week. Walking daily also helps.

You can do this, OP; it's just a matter of doing some research and informing yourself about how your body works and responds to food, and the finer points of different foods' nutritional values. You have to become a little scientist, to some extent.

Once you go truly low-carb (do you need to lose weight, btw? If not, you won't need to go quite as low-carb as you would if you needed to lose weight), you may be hungry at first, but your system will adjust within a week or two, after which you'll find a protein + big salad type of meal very filling.

Don't get discouraged. Instead, arm yourself with information, and get started on the road to good health/stable blood sugar.

Old 10-13-2016, 02:54 PM

48,630 posts, read 35,099,152 times
Myth: If you have diabetes, you should only eat small amounts of starchy foods, such as bread, potatoes and pasta.

Fact: Starchy foods can be part of a healthy meal plan, but portion size is key. Whole grain breads, cereals, pasta, rice and starchy vegetables like potatoes, yams, peas and corn can be included in your meals and snacks. In addition to these starchy foods, fruits, beans, milk, yogurt, and sweets are also sources of carbohydrate that you need to count in your meal plan.

Wondering how much carbohydrate you can have? A place to start is about 45-60 grams of carbohydrate per meal. However, you may need more or less carbohydrate at meals depending on how you manage your diabetes. You and your health care team can figure out the right amount for you. Once you know how much carb to eat at a meal, choose your food and the portion size to match.

Diabetes Myths: American Diabetes Association®

Disclaimer: I am not a diabetic and I do not play one on TV
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-13-2016, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Fact: Starchy foods can be part of a healthy meal plan, but portion size is key. Whole grain breads, cereals, pasta, rice and starchy vegetables like potatoes, yams, peas and corn can be included in your meals and snacks. In addition to these starchy foods, fruits, beans, milk, yogurt, and sweets are also sources of carbohydrate that you need to count in your meal plan.
You can eat all the starchy foods you like if it doesnt impact your blood sugar levels, i would suspect a diet like you have just laid out wouldnt generally be the best course of action for a diabetic.

Old 10-13-2016, 03:49 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,521,604 times
Quote:
Myth: If you have diabetes, you should only eat small amounts of starchy foods, such as bread, potatoes and pasta.

Wondering how much carbohydrate you can have? A place to start is about 45-60 grams of carbohydrate per meal. However, you may need more or less carbohydrate at meals depending on how you manage your diabetes. You and your health care team can figure out the right amount for you. Once you know how much carb to eat at a meal, choose your food and the portion size to match.

Diabetes Myths: American Diabetes Association®

Disclaimer: I am not a diabetic and I do not play one on TV
The ADA's recommendations are flawed. The 60g per meal is for people that are on a standard dose of insulin. If you don't eat the 60g per meal you risk hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). For people on just medication the 60g per meal is a recipe for disaster. After years on this type of diet, the medication will eventually stop working and you will have to go on insulin. Your pancreas will break down and you will have no choice. I was headed that way until I changed my ways. I will never be "cured" but I sure have it under control. That is impossible if you eat the foods you describe. That is not to mention the other health problems that will come of it such as weight gain, high triglycerides, insulin resistance etc.

This is from Dr. Bernstein a well known diabetes doctor and a type 1 diabetic for most of his life. He is his 80's and is still kicking and quite fit. Probably more fit than I am and I'm only 53.

ADA's Latest Low-Carb Stance Is Severely Flawed, Says Longtime Low-Carb Advocate Dr. Bernstein - Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. A Complete Guide to Achieving Normal Blood Sugars. Official Web Site

ADA Recommendations Now Include Low Carbs

Yes you can enjoy a small amount of sweets or starchy foods on special occasions. I just wouldn't make it a habit.

Old 10-13-2016, 03:51 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,998,353 times
Quote:

Wondering how much carbohydrate you can have? A place to start is about 45-60 grams of carbohydrate per meal.

As a diet-controlled diabetic (I don't take insulin) their recommended 45-60 grams of carbs per meal would put my blood sugar in the very high range, ridiculously high. Maybe they mean 45-60 grams to be okay for someone on insulin, but for someone not on insulin like me, that would be way too many carbs per meal.

Trust your glucometer to tell you how many carbs you can eat per meal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes