Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 08:04 PM

22,665 posts, read 24,627,441 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I bonk whenever I eat a carby-meal. I believe it is insulin-resistance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2019, 02:11 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,586,772 times
Prediabetes may be overdiagnosed and overtreated

link

Old 03-11-2019, 07:46 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,455,764 times
I had a FBS test this morning and it clocked in at 106.

PRE-diabetes. I've been here before. I need to up my fruits and vegies and cut back on the carbs.

I have been going to the gym on a more regular basis.

We re-test in a year.

Old 03-12-2019, 08:39 AM

We had a 65 yesterday morning. She finished her dinner at 10 pm, continued drinking water and tea for another hour, but wanted to stay up another two hours to watch the late shows. The blood glucose crash in hour 3 caused the relatively low reading. I rolled back her Metformin this month from 1000 mg to 500 mg. The fasting blood glucose has stayed about the same as I dropped the 1st of two daily doses and cut 20g carbs by reducing the supplement drinks. I'm looking to roll back to 250 in the next month or two, and try the Berberine supplement as a part-time companion. I will take it as well and start monitoring for side effects.

Old 03-12-2019, 09:46 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,486,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
We had a 65 yesterday morning. She finished her dinner at 10 pm, continued drinking water and tea for another hour, but wanted to stay up another two hours to watch the late shows. The blood glucose crash in hour 3 caused the relatively low reading. I rolled back her Metformin this month from 1000 mg to 500 mg. The fasting blood glucose has stayed about the same as I dropped the 1st of two daily doses and cut 20g carbs by reducing the supplement drinks. I'm looking to roll back to 250 in the next month or two, and try the Berberine supplement as a part-time companion. I will take it as well and start monitoring for side effects.
I took Berberine for about 3 months, noticed no side effects, none at all. Certainly not like Metformin which is known to cause GI issues.

Old 03-12-2019, 10:31 AM

8,226 posts, read 3,428,579 times
Insulin resistance starts when insulin is trying to shove more glucose into muscle cells than they need. Too much glucose could kill the muscle cells, so eventually they have to resist the insulin.

Either too much sugar is going into the body, or the muscles aren't using enough glucose. Or both. That results in metabolic syndrome, or what the OP is calling pre-diabetes. Yes it is real.

No idea if the OP has metabolic syndrome or not, but it's possible because it is so common now. More likely if you are overweight, but also very common for those who are normal weight. You can be normal weight and get very little exercise and eat too much sugar.

The OP said not much exercise except for walking. But walking is the best exercise, depending on how much.

I think the important questions for the OP are how much walking they do every day, and do they eat a lot of refined carbohydrates.

In other words, are they the typical American on their way to metabolic syndrome? Very easy to fix at such an early stage.

Old 03-13-2019, 06:03 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,273,537 times
I don't have the OP's problems with eating and crashing (my diet is very heavy in vegetables and protein, low in refined carbs) but my last blood glucose level was 112. I have no risk factors: no family history, daily cardio workouts, BMI hovering around 19 (I'm female).

I agree with the recommendations to check your a1c and change your diet. (My dietary changes got my a1c from 6.0 in 2015 to 5.5 earlier this year.) I've heard that there are home kits to measure a1C; you may also want to get one using Requestatest.com. They generate an order and for $29 or $36 (depending on the lab) you go to a LabCorp or Quest lab near you at your convenience and get the test. No doc visit necessary. I just used them for all the tests mydoc usually orders because the lab she was associated with was disorganized and I will be using RequestaTest form now on.

Old 03-13-2019, 08:34 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,486,697 times
Another note on the testing. In many cities, including mine and I don't live in a large city, there are medical labs that will perform many different tests for a nominal fee. I go in and order two different tests, a "basic" test which includes, cbc, lipids etc and then a "diabetes" test which does the A1C, insulin, glucose etc.. Each test is $20 and they have at least 30 different tests that they do all at very economical prices.

You go in, they draw blood and a few hours later your results are ready for you to pick up. NO doctor referral needed.

I could post a link to the website but that is just in my area. These labs are known as "cash labs" or "walk in" labs.

As for home A1C tests, I've seen them at Walmart and you don't have to send in anything. They give you results within minutes. I've never used one but I thought I would mention them anyway.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/ReliOn-Fa...ystem/39384290
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bayer-A1C...t-Kit/11332213

Old 03-14-2019, 04:35 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,983,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
As for home A1C tests, I've seen them at Walmart and you don't have to send in anything. They give you results within minutes. I've never used one but I thought I would mention them anyway.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/ReliOn-Fa...ystem/39384290
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bayer-A1C...t-Kit/11332213

Those home tests can be off by half a percent, though. If the lab shows my A1c as my normal 6, and a home test can show anywhere from 5.5 to 6.5, that's worthless to me. I'd rather just use the lab results.

But if you were expecting a huge change of several points, then it could be worth it to use a home test kit to monitor your progress.

I have read that the Walmart A1c is the most accurate for a home kit.

Old 03-14-2019, 07:06 PM

Our doctor used one of those home tests in the office to get immediate (<5min) results.

We actually just started using a Grape Root 1000 mg liquid dropper yesterday. We have 500 mg Metformin in the evening after cutting back from 500+500mg in January to see if we can hold glucose levels at these levels before increasing the berberine.

It seems most products don't contain much of any berberine.

https://www.consumerlab.com/reviews/...iew/berberine/

This will need follow-up. There is a wide range of customer reviews without any of quantifiable data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes