Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 05:48 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,780,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Jamin You are a good spokesperson for the supplement industry but i dont trust these cure all supplements that are non government regulated and my doctors dont prescribe them for my maladies.
Some points to ponder =https://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/Con.../ucm341344.htm
We are like jack spratt and his wife...you don't trust supps and I don't trust drugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2017, 01:39 AM

7,279 posts, read 5,158,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post

If I was going to recommend a supplement for blood sugar control it would be Berberine. This is proven to be just as effective as Metformin. This is not what the OP was asking for however and this is FYI only.
https://examine.com/supplements/berberine/
Very impressive article on the extensive research done on Berberine. It does appear to be as effective as standard prescription drugs in treating blood sugar levels.

One might ask then, why isn't it offered as treatment by mainstream docs?

Three obvious reasons: [1] doesn't appear to be any long term studies. [b] no studies to standardize optimal dosing, and [3] most of the studies seem to come from China and it's marketed by them as a supplement, not a drug. As such it avoids going thru FDA scrutiny and the required, expensive testing and quality control assurances of the FDA process.

You probably don't buy your dog food or baby formula from China. Should you buy your drugs from them?

Old 09-19-2017, 08:06 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,486,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post

Three obvious reasons: [1] doesn't appear to be any long term studies. [b] no studies to standardize optimal dosing, and [3] most of the studies seem to come from China and it's marketed by them as a supplement, not a drug. As such it avoids going thru FDA scrutiny and the required, expensive testing and quality control assurances of the FDA process.

You probably don't buy your dog food or baby formula from China. Should you buy your drugs from them?
You forgot at least two other obvious reasons. Big Pharma can't make any money from it and mainstream most docs don't believe in supplements. Yes, China has gotten a bad reputation from some bad products that they put out and continue to do so in the name of profit. This does not mean that everything from China is associated with that. In the case of the article, they are not selling anything. It is just a study. The organization that puts it out is here https://examine.com/about/

I also don't buy the product from China, it is from the USA

Here is more from Dr. Jonathan Wright
Dr. Jonathan Wright On Berberine Vs. Metformin
More On Berberine And Type 2 Diabetes
AMPK, Metformin, Berberine, And Gynostemma

Old 09-19-2017, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Very impressive article on the extensive research done on Berberine. It does appear to be as effective as standard prescription drugs in treating blood sugar levels.

It surprises me that you say what you have...MD's are in business to write scripts...plain and simple...and who knows may get pay backs from every drug they write, we've had a long thread going on this issue.

Iodine is so necessary for all our body tissues and I'm sure the word iodine deficiency and use is NEVER brought up by the conventional MD's,,,,a quality bottle of Iodine for consumption is about $12.

Old 09-19-2017, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
You forgot at least two other obvious reasons. Big Pharma can't make any money from it and mainstream most docs don't believe in supplements. Yes, China has gotten a bad reputation from some bad products that they put out and continue to do so in the name of profit. This does not mean that everything from China is associated with that. In the case of the article, they are not selling anything. It is just a study. The organization that puts it out is here https://examine.com/about/

I also don't buy the product from China, it is from the USA

Here is more from Dr. Jonathan Wright
Dr. Jonathan Wright On Berberine Vs. Metformin
More On Berberine And Type 2 Diabetes
AMPK, Metformin, Berberine, And Gynostemma
I wanted to rep you. Good grief is all I can say. So many trusting souls into pharma.

Old 09-19-2017, 11:11 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,213,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
It surprises me that you say what you have...MD's are in business to write scripts...plain and simple...
And supplement companies are in business to sell supplements. So what's your point?

Old 09-19-2017, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
And supplement companies are in business to sell supplements. So what's your point?
Of course, everyone is in business to make profits and for probably the last 30 yrs I've had a gripe against the pharma hogs and the mega profits making their stockholders happy and fat. We could go on about this issue forever, but won't. Pharma has been KING for too long and losing a bit of their position in the worlds of healing, thank goodness. And yes, I take a couple of meds...so don't want to go there...and lots of supps for PREVENTION of what "could" hit me. J

Old 09-19-2017, 05:50 PM

7,279 posts, read 5,158,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
It surprises me that you say what you have...MD's are in business to write scripts...plain and simple...and who knows may get pay backs from every drug they write, we've had a long thread going on this issue.

Iodine is so necessary for all our body tissues and I'm sure the word iodine deficiency and use is NEVER brought up by the conventional MD's,,,,a quality bottle of Iodine for consumption is about $12.
A) No, MDs make their money whether they write prescriptions or not. But when a pt has to pay $100 or so out of his pocket when visiting the doc because he has a routine, common cold that actually needs no treatment and there is no drug treatment for the virus, he EXPECTS a prescription and is disappointed and insulted when he doesn't get one.

B) Huge goiters were not at all uncommon in the MidWest until they started iodizing salt. It's now a little difficult to find salt that doesn't have Iodine added or to find a respectable goiter anymore. Why would anyone pay $12 for Iodine tabs when they can get all they need for a year in $0.50 worth of Morton's Salt? BTW- too much Iodine suppresses your thyroid. Not good.

Old 09-19-2017, 06:11 PM

Quote:
A) No, MDs make their money whether they write prescriptions or not. But when a pt has to pay $100 or so out of his pocket when visiting the doc because he has a routine, common cold that actually needs no treatment and there is no drug treatment for the virus, he EXPECTS a prescription and is disappointed and insulted when he doesn't get one.

B) Huge goiters were not at all uncommon in the MidWest until they started iodizing salt. It's now a little difficult to find salt that doesn't have Iodine added or to find a respectable goiter anymore. Why would anyone pay $12 for Iodine tabs when they can get all they need for a year in $0.50 worth of Morton's Salt? BTW- too much Iodine suppresses your thyroid. Not good.
I've been studying the Iodine deficiency for years all since the best selling book: Iodine Deficiency came out...and many of us don't use the Morton salts. I don't...it's bleached salts from all I've read. Anyway, I know another topic and I'm comfortable with my iodine dosing..I have a c ouple posts in Alt Med in Iodine and it's need for all body tissues, breasts for sure. Many now too, keep low salt intake.

As with all info, there are many many who have opinions and facts/figures and write their articles and books.

Old 09-22-2017, 10:35 AM

1,685 posts, read 3,958,766 times
good news for me - after 5 weeks of working hard and doing what I should be doing I've got a better handle on things. Doctor agrees with me - no Trulicity!! I am still on Metformin, and we will check again in 30 day to see how to adjust that. down 14 pounds -yay me!! and feeling better. I still have some investigation to do into on Berberine and other suppliments. but I think I'm on the right track.

thanks all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes