Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 01:02 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,058,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djkingman View Post
I have been taking it for about a month, 500mm morning and night, and my blood readings haven’t gone much below 150. I told my doctor and she said to take one in the morning and two at night. Curious, I took my blood at bedtime 145, in the morning it was 147. Isn’t fasting reading supposed to be the lowest of the day? Is the Metformin not working or should I give it more time? Thanks In Advance (TIA)
Ask your doctor if he will add Glimepiride to your med's to make you blood sugar better, much better in some cases.

Also, I'm not sure that you have something to worry about since your blood stays at 150 or below. The "ideal" number is good goal but any number below 150 is also great too! Up past 150 is time to be concerned. Remember that we are all different so none of us can meet "ideal" numbers all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2017, 02:59 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,485,219 times
Quote:
I am not taking insulin. Just tarted back on Metformin (thread title). Trying to avoid needles with lifestyle changes and 1500mg of Metformin.
LOL, I said "making" not "taking". Under normal circumstances, your pancreas produces enough insulin to regulate your blood sugar. For us diabetics, that system is broken down in one way or another. Hence, you are not "making" enough insulin. I am the same way. Metformin treats insulin resistance or in other words helps you use the insulin already present more efficiently. If there is no insulin or not enough there to begin with, you are stuck with high blood sugar. In your case, like in mine there is some but not enough.

I have been taking Metformin for over 10 years and I have tested myself many times. I have tested my blood sugar in the morning, taken the Metformin on an empty stomach, not eating anything for several hours (like 4), tested again and my blood sugar has gone down only 5 or 10 points. Not much at all which means the Metformin by itself is not enough. Do you get it now? You could do the same test yourself to see what I mean. Anyway, good luck but you should mention this to your Doc.

Old 12-28-2017, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in Illinois View Post
Ask your doctor if he will add Glimepiride to your med's to make you blood sugar better, much better in some cases.

Also, I'm not sure that you have something to worry about since your blood stays at 150 or below. The "ideal" number is good goal but any number below 150 is also great too! Up past 150 is time to be concerned. Remember that we are all different so none of us can meet "ideal" numbers all the time.
I take 2mg glimepiride daily. It is a new generation in it's class of drugs but it is still kind of "old school". There are MANY new treatments on the market. 2mg is a relatively low dose. I help it along with a low carb diet. Probably under 50g a day.

https://www.drugs.com/dosage/glimepiride.html

The generally accepted number number to prevent complications is 140 or below at all times, even after meals. I know that is hard to do for some but if you avoid high carb foods (not just sugar) it is entirely possible.

Old 12-28-2017, 04:04 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,982,794 times
Metformin is enough for some people, like me.

Old 01-13-2018, 08:03 AM

344 posts, read 245,372 times
Quote:
I have been taking it for about a month, 500mm morning and night, and my blood readings haven’t gone much below 150. I told my doctor and she said to take one in the morning and two at night. Curious, I took my blood at bedtime 145, in the morning it was 147. Isn’t fasting reading supposed to be the lowest of the day? Is the Metformin not working or should I give it more time? Thanks In Advance (TIA)
I take one 1000MG of Metformin in the morning and one 1000MG in the evening. When I was first diagnosed I took daily shots of Lantus and a weekly shot of Trulicity. I also was VERY good with my new way of eating. I've done so well that I'm off the Lantus and only take a weekly shot of Trulicity along with the twice daily 1000MG of Metformin. I believe the Lantus really jump started lowering my blood sugar. I would discuss additional options with your doctor.

Old 01-24-2018, 09:46 AM

244 posts, read 236,022 times
What I don’t understand is how my blood glucose reading of 135 at 10PM can change to 175 at 7AM without eating anything all night.

Old 01-24-2018, 10:33 AM

Quote:
What I don’t understand is how my blood glucose reading of 135 at 10PM can change to 175 at 7AM without eating anything all night.
It's called the "Dawn Phenomenon". The liver dumps glucose into the bloodstream.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...t/faq-20057937

Old 06-14-2018, 08:23 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,902,474 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
It's called the "Dawn Phenomenon". The liver dumps glucose into the bloodstream.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...t/faq-20057937
I had something similar happen this morning. I haven't done the sticking myself routine in a long time. When I woke up this morning at 6:30, my blood sugar was 166. I went right back to sleep, and when I woke up and stuck myself again at 9:30, it was 175. Seemed counterintuitive. I guess I've been "Dawn Phenom'ed."

I have been taking 2000 mg of Metformin every morning for just over a year. I just started eating lower carb two days ago, after eating lots and lots of carbs over the weekend. My blood sugar was 200 yesterday, the morning after the first day of no (or few) carbs. It went down to 166 today, then 175, this morning.

I've become a subscriber at dietdoctor.com after reading about it in this forum. I watched the video in this article, which they sent me, yesterday. I was glad to note "porridge" is on the list of acceptable carbohydrates. I take that to be British for oatmeal, which my endocrinologist has recommended I eat. I was afraid it ran counter to "low carb" principles. But hey, if dietdoctor recommends it, it's okay, right?

https://www.dietdoctor.com/outside-t...f2ed-469581305

I'm especially glad I can still eat oatmeal, as I just bought a brand new bottle of vanilla, and that's not cheap anymore.

Old 06-14-2018, 09:47 AM

The only way to know for sure is to test. You don't have to keep testing forever, just to see how you react to certain foods. I will say this for me at least, the Metformin by itself will not lower my numbers. I take a second med along with it. Your numbers seem a bit high to me. The goal is to remain at or below 140 at all times, even after meals. This is easier said than done unless you do low carb. As an example, I do test myself after eating certain fruits. Most of the time I am still not that high but I do take the proper medication. You need to really see if the Metformin is doing it's job. If you take it in the morning, wait till it has taken effect later in the day. Eat a meal that you are not sure how will affect you, wait 1.5 hours and test to see how you are reacting. It's also a good idea to test before you eat to see the net gain for that meal. This is what I do, not all the time but just to see how I react to certain foods. Since I do low carb, I kind of take the guess work out of it and I don't really test much at all.

Old 06-14-2018, 11:11 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,982,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
But hey, if dietdoctor recommends it, it's okay, right?

Don't take someone's word for it. Test your blood sugar, then eat the oatmeal, then test your blood sugar again 1-1/2 hours later.

Trust your glucometer, not what people say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes