Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 09:07 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times

Advertisements

I did a search and didn't find anything definitive on what I'm curious about.

Has anybody been put on Metformin, in addition to insulin, and what has it done for you?

I've got what is called, Brittle diabetes. My blood sugars slam back and forth.

I test twice a day. Before breakfast, before supper. I take insulin, 45 units of 70/30 before breakfast, 35 units of 70/30 before supper.

One day, my BG readings will be 140, and in the evening, 350. Next day, 180 before breakfast and 110 in the evening. Both days, I had the same snacks, same breakfast and lunch.

My doctor transfered to Hawaii. So the VA gave me a new doctor. She upset my applecart. She dropped my insulin to 20 units morning, 20 units evening. She also put me on Metformin, 3 times a day. She explained that she wanted me to keep a log of BG readings, Blood Pressure readings, and what I ate, 4 times a day. She explained that I would probably be high, but she wanted me to stick to this for 2 weeks and then come back in for the next adjustment.

I've been rock solid. 240 morning, 242 at noon, 238 before supper, 252 at bed time. I realize these are high, but at least they are on track with something I might be able to control.

To give you an idea of how brittle I've been. I've hit 32 for a low, and last year I wound up in the hospital in a coma, my blood sugar was 1408.

The other thing is, this new doc, is also a Type II diabetic. She holds seminars for the state agencies. So I have great hopes.

Was just wondering if anybody else has been put on Metformin and what was your results.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2009, 12:49 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
Before insulin, I tried it. Spent a lot of time in the bathroom. Went off it. No help to you! I'd rather be steady and a bit high than brittle.

I will say that old fashioned, non-prescription Novilin has given me better results than all the new insulins did. Tried Novolog, Humalog, Lantus, Levemir, Humulin - none was very good for me. Much better control on Novilin.

Old 12-19-2009, 07:45 AM

356 posts, read 1,345,524 times
I only take Metformin, but my sister takes Metformin and insulin. It sounds like she may be a brittle diabetic like you. I have had good control with just Metformin so far, but it did cause stomach upset at first. Be sure you take it with food.

Old 12-19-2009, 07:59 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,534,507 times
I hate metformin. I won't take it. All it does is....well, you know. It doesn't bother some people as much as it did me, but it might've been due to my diet. Who knows. All I know is I refuse to take it. Personally, I prefer insulin.

My companion is also a brittle diabetic. He is not on insulin, but a host of the newer diabetic meds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
To give you an idea of how brittle I've been. I've hit 32 for a low, and last year I wound up in the hospital in a coma, my blood sugar was 1408.
Wow. That is amazing. I can relate because I have seen those quick ups and downs on my companion. It is scary because the highs and lows weren't associated with any eating out of the ordinary. I mean my spikes are related to what I eat and drink, but his just flip out. He also may be allergic to his own insulin. I may not be using the right word ~allergic~, but that is how his MD explained it.

Old 12-20-2009, 05:14 PM

426 posts, read 1,087,026 times
I'm sorry. I don't have any first hand experience with metformin. My mother and husband are/were on that stuff. My sister was on..... well I don't remember if it was metformin or not, but she was on pills, insulin, and then both throughout her 15 year struggle with diabetes.

My mom and husband both showed side effects for the first couple of months after taking metformin. They could be extremely moody and angry. Quite volatile in fact. Another side affect they had was frequent bowel movements. When they had to go, they had to go!

My husband is on metformin and is typically at 150 range. He does cheat, too often and then his numbers can go way up. But that only happens when he cheats! Generally, he feels OK. And since he's lost 30 lbs., his diabetes has become easier to manage.

My mother had a terrible time with diabetes for far too long. She was taking high doses of metformin but began to recover just short of ending up on insulin! When my sister died, Mom was sure she only had a few more years left on this earth. But she began seeing a homeopathic doctor a few years ago. Now she is completely off of metformin and is doing fine without any medications at all. Though she is on a strict diet.

I was diagnosed as a diabetic in August by a regular doctor. My husband suggested I go on metformin, but I decided against it. After seeing how my mother started to feel like a normal again, I realized there was another option for me, so I opted for a more natural approach, and began seeing my mom's natural doctor. My blood sugar can stay in a normal range, but my biggest enemy is my own eating habits. I've had to change the way I eat drastically. It's difficult, but what is the alternative? Metformin or a different type of drug? Insulin? I don't think so. Not if I can help it. Anyway, I do cheat once in a while, but because I am on no medication, my blood sugar can spike badly, so I have to be careful of what I eat. I've gotten to the point now where I'm going to have my insulin levels checked. Either I'm making enough insulin and it's not being used, or I'm not making enough because my pancreas is "shutting down" after so much abuse. In which case, it needs to be treated.

I'm very sorry to hear that you have so much trouble managing your blood sugar. I hope in time you can find a combination of treatments that work for you, and you can begin feeling good again. PM me anytime. Good luck!

Old 12-21-2009, 07:40 PM

I was diagnosed with Type II diabetes when my pancreas was damaged by a bad infection. So I went straight to 70/30 Novolin from the very start. But like I said, I slam back and forth with numbers and there is no relationship to what I'm eating.

For instance, to test my theory, I ate the same meals, breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, supper, bedtime snack, for 3 days straight. I made sure that I ate exactly at the same time each day, same activity, etc. This was before the Metformin.
Day 1 day 2 day3
breakfast 129 240 70
lunch 180 140 133
supper 260 245 160

That's the same meals, same portions.

With the Novolin, I've not experienced being sick from it but I do not like the peaks and valleys. My normal dose in the morning causes me to bottom out to 50-70 at about 11am. So I have to eat a snack to get by that. Not much of a snack. I eat 2 peanut butter crackers. Eat a light lunch, and come supper time I'm 250 or so.

So now I'm on Metformin and insulin and although I'm high in glucos readings, they are steady. I don't have the peaks and valleys. I have to see my doctor next week again and hopefully she'll give me the go ahead to increase my insulin a couple units at a time until the readings are brought down to reasonable numbers.

Thanks for all the input. I had heard of people using metformin, or insulin, I"m the first person I've seen taking both.

Old 12-22-2009, 05:49 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
While the food intake might be the same, the level of activity can throw off your glucose levels. Activity - or relative lack thereof - can mean a peak one day and a valley the next. Good luck!

Old 12-22-2009, 08:52 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,919,735 times
I think I'm pre type 2, have been taking Metformin and Glimipride for about a year. Has moved my BS in 'normal' range. Doc said I need to lose a bunch of weight. Thing was I gained 25 lbs on the meds.

Since I moved Ive been off for a month until I get checked out by new doc. My energy levels really drop fast if I dont eat often. Ive moved to eating small amounts 5 times per day. Those peanut butter crackers in the car and office are lifesavers.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:22 PM

746 posts, read 3,499,239 times
My endo just wrote a prescription for me for metformin, to replace the actos I have been taking for years and which causes edema problems in my lower legs.

I am expecting some problems at first, but will give it a try. I do take insulin every day, Lantus and Humalog.

And I will be watching this thread with interest. And perhaps reporting back to it.

Old 12-23-2009, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by litlux View Post
My endo just wrote a prescription for me for metformin, to replace the actos I have been taking for years and which causes edema problems in my lower legs.

I am expecting some problems at first, but will give it a try. I do take insulin every day, Lantus and Humalog.

And I will be watching this thread with interest. And perhaps reporting back to it.
The only problem I've had with Metformin is the very first day, I was really tired and went to bed about 8. Slept like a rock. Next day was fine. So hopefully there will be no side effects. Just a good steady, low Blood Glucos reading.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes