Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 01:45 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I've lost 120 lbs since my diagnosis. .
Congratulations...losing 100lbs is what i need to do but its the toughest thing i've ever tried to do and i'm having no success at all. My main problem is i'm retired and eating food is one of my only joys in life.
Tried 2, 6 month stints with the Victosa and found no benefit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2015, 01:16 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Congratulations...losing 100lbs is what i need to do but its the toughest thing i've ever tried to do and i'm having no success at all. My main problem is i'm retired and eating food is one of my only joys in life.
Tried 2, 6 month stints with the Victosa and found no benefit.
I had actually lost 180 and then I gained 60 back, because eating (and cooking!) is something I really enjoy. I was talking to my doctor about it last week and she said I need to get back to losing weight. I told her I know exactly what I need to eat in order to lose weight and what has worked for me in the past, it's just very hard to stick to it when there's stress in other areas of my life. When I'm stressed, I like to cook something really good or eat something sweet. I managed to break the pattern for a year by limiting the contact I had with the most stressful people in my life, but once I let them back in, the comfort eating started back up. Also, I hurt my back and my foot and I had to stop most of my exercise.

My doctor suggested I eat whatever I want until the last day of the year and then get myself back on track for the new year. So that's what I'm focusing on for now.

Old 12-29-2015, 03:08 PM

20,932 posts, read 28,414,875 times
Quote:
Fasting will not affect a1c, the a1c is an average of your sugar over the last three months (little more complicated than that but that's basically what it tests).

BG over 180 on a regular basis will cause nerve damage and damage to the small blood vessels in the body, can mess with your eyes and lots of other stuff. The most common place for nerve damage is the feet but it can affect nerves all over the body, even things like the stomach or the penis.

If Invokana is too expensive, then find out what meds your insurance covers and ask the doctor to prescribe one of those. I was on Januvia before and it worked very well. If he doesn't have prescription coverage, Walmart has some diabetes drugs on their $4 list...they're the older meds and not the ones that do a lot of advertising to doctors, but that doesn't mean that they wouldn't work.

If he doesn't get it under control, he'll probably end up on insulin and that would be a pain to have to deal with, and it can be expensive too.
Thanks for the advice.

Old 01-24-2016, 07:11 PM

35,690 posts, read 21,045,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetNot View Post
Causes kidney stones and can cause pancreatitis. if you end up in the ER over the killing stomach pain, have them check you for pancreatitis.
Just jumped into forum. God I did metformin until I thought would die almost 1 yr finale the ER. /I lost weight and 4 yrs later back with high sugar. What else besides metformin!!! All I read said side effects- pancrititist I have to find Meds I can tolerate until I lose weigh again . Anyone? what you switched to after metformin?? I have dr appt 11th he told me to research.

Old 01-24-2016, 07:37 PM

Quote:
I had actually lost 180 and then I gained 60 back, because eating (and cooking!) is something I really enjoy. I was talking to my doctor about it last week and she said I need to get back to losing weight. I told her I know exactly what I need to eat in order to lose weight and what has worked for me in the past, it's just very hard to stick to it when there's stress in other areas of my life. When I'm stressed, I like to cook something really good or eat something sweet. I managed to break the pattern for a year by limiting the contact I had with the most stressful people in my life, but once I let them back in, the comfort eating started back up. Also, I hurt my back and my foot and I had to stop most of my exercise.

My doctor suggested I eat whatever I want until the last day of the year and then get myself back on track for the new year. So that's what I'm focusing on for now.
You sound like me - I too stress eat. Told dr need to calm down so I stop bingin , anyhow bad knees so not moving much . Going to try water/.aerobics at the gym waiting on the knee to stop hurting. Cold weather not a motivator! But it's time.
The metformin scares me terribly. Last time I took it the pain and horrible sickness thought I would die that day. However, I think the brown breads - and any oils or fat so I'm wondering if metformin and certain foods are enemies ? Also some mentioned ER how bad was it prior to switching from reg???

Old 01-24-2016, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
You sound like me - I too stress eat. Told dr need to calm down so I stop bingin , anyhow bad knees so not moving much . Going to try water/.aerobics at the gym waiting on the knee to stop hurting. Cold weather not a motivator! But it's time.
The metformin scares me terribly. Last time I took it the pain and horrible sickness thought I would die that day. However, I think the brown breads - and any oils or fat so I'm wondering if metformin and certain foods are enemies ? Also some mentioned ER how bad was it prior to switching from reg???
I'm doing better on the stress right now. I know what my main source of stress is (my aging parents) and I'm not inviting them over. It's hard but I just need some time to get back on track without dealing with them. I'm exercising again, riding my bike and lifting weights.

About metformin, some foods are worse for it than others. Fat seems to be a trigger for diarrhea when you're taking metformin. Personally, it took me a few weeks to adjust to it. There are people on the ADA forums who joke about still being afraid to fart after years on metformin, so I think it's worse for some people than others. My dad had to stop taking it recently because he's got dementia and he wasn't getting to the bathroom in time. His doctor increased his insulin a bit to compensate for him stopping metformin. I tried to get my mom to talk to his doctor about the extended release version, but she was tired of cleaning up after him and was happy to stop his metformin.

Old 01-24-2016, 11:32 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Anti-ageing drug could let you live to 120 in good health - Life & Style - NZ Herald News

Old 01-25-2016, 05:58 AM

ok so metformin will help me live longer--- accordimg to the article - so I need to figure out what to do about the pancrititis part-- my son also had a bad bout the first 2 weeks --so far he's doing OK on the pill- I was soo sick and in pain Lord- I am so afraid- but decided I have to try again- but maybe with MORE information of what triggers the bad spells to avoid them. I live far from family- once my daughter had to drive me from work - terrible mess--the last time she took me to ER no way I could have gotten self there - and I'm sick for hours and hours

Old 01-25-2016, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
ok so metformin will help me live longer--- accordimg to the article - so I need to figure out what to do about the pancrititis part-- my son also had a bad bout the first 2 weeks --so far he's doing OK on the pill- I was soo sick and in pain Lord- I am so afraid- but decided I have to try again- but maybe with MORE information of what triggers the bad spells to avoid them. I live far from family- once my daughter had to drive me from work - terrible mess--the last time she took me to ER no way I could have gotten self there - and I'm sick for hours and hours
Maybe you should see an endocrinologist rather than your primary care doctor to get your diabetes figured out.

I think a lot of the newer diabetes drugs have a risk of pancreatitis. Victoza, Januvia and Byetta all have warnings about increased risk of pancreatitis, and those are just the ones I've been on. So if you've had pancreatitis before, that seems like it would make prescribing for you more complicated, which is why the endocrinologist might be a good idea.

Old 01-25-2016, 09:54 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,473,517 times
For me and for many I've heard from, it's high carbs with metformin that give you the the bad GI side effects. Since I've been on low carb (over a year now), I've experienced virtually no side effects. I routinely eat high fat while on the metformin and do not feel anything out of the ordinary. I speak for myself. The ER version of the metformin is supposed to minimize the GI effects as well.

For anyone willing to try it just cut back on the carbs while taking the same dose of the met to see if it makes a difference. By cut back I mean, limit it to no "white" carbs such as bread, pasta, rice or potatoes and of course sweets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes