Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2018, 04:48 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,140,641 times

Advertisements

I don't blame anyone but myself for this, I do not control my type 2 diabetes really at all. I DO have levimer injections and large amounts of Metformin and Glibeuride? I don't really track my bloodsugar hardly at all. and I eat what I want or what I can get.

I DO have complications that have developed over the years, BAD Neuropathy in my feet and lower legs, injections in my eyes for macular degeneration. and Heart disease. My mother had the same things and died at 62 from a massive heart attack. I expected to die about that same time but didn't I am now 66.

I just wondered how many people are out there like me?

I also wonder what other complications may be in store for me.

If you want to ignore this thread feel free, please don't waste time lecturing me as it is not going to help.

Just curious how many others don't really do much about their diabetes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2018, 04:59 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,988,565 times
I'm glad you do take your medications, even if you don't watch what you eat or check your blood sugar.

My brother didn't control his diabetes, and he warned me to take care of mine so I wouldn't end up like he did, with amputated feet and kidney failure, so I do keep mine under control.

Last edited by oldgardener; 09-14-2018 at 05:12 PM..

Old 09-16-2018, 08:31 AM

17,559 posts, read 39,213,061 times
Well, I hope I don't get a lecture either, but here is my admission - I "supposedly" have Type 2 based on my constantly high A1c's, but I don't do anything (medical) about it. I used to take small amounts of Metformin which did little and I did not like my doctor for various reasons and quit going. I am 69 years old, have ZERO complications. I exercise daily, am a normal weight with good muscle tone, drink a lot of water, and basically eat what I want although I do not eat large amounts of sugar (I do eat some). My eyes are fine, I only wear reading glasses. I have no wrinkles or skin problems, no neuropathy, etc.

I have heard of people having very low A1cs and having complications, and others with high A1cs for years with nothing. So it really depends on the individual. I made the decision that I would live my life normally and not be a slave to medicines and sticking myself and what happens happens. I would not advocate this for anyone else, we all make our own decisions and this is mine.

Old 09-16-2018, 10:37 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,389,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
I don't blame anyone but myself for this, I do not control my type 2 diabetes really at all. I DO have levimer injections and large amounts of Metformin and Glibeuride? I don't really track my bloodsugar hardly at all. and I eat what I want or what I can get.

I DO have complications that have developed over the years, BAD Neuropathy in my feet and lower legs, injections in my eyes for macular degeneration. and Heart disease. My mother had the same things and died at 62 from a massive heart attack. I expected to die about that same time but didn't I am now 66.

If you want to ignore this thread feel free, please don't waste time lecturing me as it is not going to help.

I'm in the same boat at 70yrs of age, got diagnosed with type 2 20 years ago , trying to maintain healthy blood sugar levels when you have diabetes is tough just do your best. i also have macular degeneration and get the eye shots every 5 weeks,also i had high blood pressure and high cholesterol which led to a stroke two years ago ,i am now much more serious about my efforts to control Blood sugar,blood pressure and high cholesterol. the thing with diabetes its a degenerative desease that slowly eats you alive, Most recent failure is my kidneys,dialysis is a necessity i'll soon have to live with.

Old 09-16-2018, 11:33 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,896,530 times
Please remember that the OP was asking if others were like him. He was NOT asking for advice. If these off topic posts continue, infractions will be issued.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 09-16-2018, 02:14 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,140,641 times
I appreciate the responses so far. I don't see anyone really trying to give advice or admonishment, [which actually surprises me pleasantly].
Oh for the record I am a woman.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:29 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,497,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post

I WAS like you, about 4 years ago. I saw my A1C numbers going up steadily and decided to make a complete turnaround. I've been LC/Keto ever since. My blood sugar numbers improved dramatically as well as lipids and blood pressure. What scared me? I couldn't stand the idea of living without limbs or going blind, kidney failure etc. You have to ask yourself, would you be fine without a foot or a leg? I did not inject insulin, only medications. It would have progressed eventually to insulin. I stopped it cold, I will never be cured but I stopped the progression. I use that word a lot but that's because diabetes is progressive, make no mistake. You are only treating the symptoms, not the cause. Insulin may help control your numbers but too much of it WILL cause damage, just like high blood sugar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes