Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 01:46 PM

8,227 posts, read 3,419,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
T2 Diabetes is complicated.

The most typical cases of T2 are attributed to insulin resistance.

In these cases, eating highly glycemic foods such as sugar and refined carbohydrates spike blood sugar, as expected, the pancreas responds with insulin to keep the BS under control. After some time (could be years), the cells become resistant to the insulin, the excess insulin causes weight gain, usually around the midsection. High blood sugars remain out of control causing damage to cells and tissues, high insulin levels also cause their fair share of damage, this is now T2 diabetes. This pattern is repeated again over a number of years, creating a vicious circle. Obesity is a side effect of insulin which remains in the blood and tissues, unutilized by the cells, on its own, it does not cause diabetes, it does cause other problems like heart disease. Drugs only treat the symptoms, lifestyle changes can stop the progression and in some cases, reverse the damage and condition. Exercise would certainly play an important role in this.

Other cases of diabetes involve the production of insulin. Pancreatic b-cells break down, the pancreas loses some or all of the ability to produce insulin, this is different. It could be and often is a thin person. Low/no insulin causes weight loss. These types of T2 diabetics can become insulin dependent. The same rules of too much insulin apply. If the diet is not controlled, injecting the insulin needed to control a high carb diet could actually result in insulin resistance, causing weight gain and other health problems. This type of diabetic, other than the autoimmune issues would be similar to T1 diabetics who can also become insulin resistant. I've read about and conversed with some.

Most doctors only treat symptoms. We are starting to see a change in this regard, hopefully it will become mainstream. It's doubtful though until the ADA changes its tune on diet, it may not happen. They are controlled by big pharma and they are only interested in selling more drugs.

This is a simplified, as I said, it's complicated.
Refined sugar and flour are part of the cause, but so is lack of exercise. More glucose comes in than the cells can use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2019, 02:18 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Thin people can get type 2 diabetes, so the cause is not obesity. Obesity is often the result of refined carbohydrates and lack of exercise. And refined carbohydrates and lack of exercise also cause diabetes.

Muscle cells become insulin resistant because insulin is transporting too much glucose into them. There is no way that obesity could be the cause of insulin resistance.
I totally agree with you on this one: of course excess weight can contribute to a lot of diseases, but not ll diabetics are heavy and not all heavy people are diagnosed with diabetes. I happen to be one, thank God who has never had any problems and at 82, I am over weight. I do need to lose weight but am not so concerned about becoming diabetic. No one in our family has ever been. I know I need exercise as well, though I do water walk 3 times a week for about 1/2 an hour and do get exercise in a few other ways. I think the carbs play a huge roll in developing many diseases.

Old 06-13-2019, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I totally agree with you on this one: of course excess weight can contribute to a lot of diseases, but not ll diabetics are heavy and not all heavy people are diagnosed with diabetes. I happen to be one, thank God who has never had any problems and at 82, I am over weight. I do need to lose weight but am not so concerned about becoming diabetic. No one in our family has ever been. I know I need exercise as well, though I do water walk 3 times a week for about 1/2 an hour and do get exercise in a few other ways. I think the carbs play a huge roll in developing many diseases.
Right. I don't think being overweight is necessarily bad for health. If you are not a refined carb addict, and if you get a reasonable amount of moderate exercise, you probably won't get diabetes. Genetics are also part of it. But I think the main cause is eating all those refined carbs and not using them to move the muscles.

Another factor may be how well a person is able to store fat. Being able to store fat might actually protect you from diabetes, to some extent, because at least there is someplace for that excess glucose to go.

Being thin, and not good at storing fat, is no protection at all against type 2 diabetes.

Old 06-13-2019, 02:27 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,473,517 times
Quote:
Refined sugar and flour are part of the cause, but so is lack of exercise. More glucose comes in than the cells can use.
I totally agree. In fact, you could probably eat anything you wanted as long as you exercised and burned it off. I have read of some Kenyan marathon runners eating pure sugar before a run. Of course, we are not marathon runners but it's kind of interesting.

https://runnersconnect.net/diet-of-kenyan-runners/

Old 06-13-2019, 03:35 PM

Quote:
I totally agree. In fact, you could probably eat anything you wanted as long as you exercised and burned it off. I have read of some Kenyan marathon runners eating pure sugar before a run. Of course, we are not marathon runners but it's kind of interesting.

https://runnersconnect.net/diet-of-kenyan-runners/
Yeah, I think exercise can to some extent make up for a not so great diet. The important thing is that the energy gets used by the muscles. That's how we evolved, with the assumption that the muscles would contract rhythmically every day.

Contraction of the large muscles also helps a lot with the circulation of blood, and especially of lymph. There is no heart for the lymph circulation, it depends on the muscles.

I also think exercise somehow helps the body detox.

There is too much emphasis on obesity. Of course extreme obesity is not healthy and causes arthritis, etc. But telling patients they must lose weight by restricting calories is not so helpful. They should be told to avoid refined carbs completely, and to get moderate exercise almost every day.

Following that advice is so easy! Losing fat by starving yourself is almost impossible. Patients can't do it, understandably, and wind up on drugs.

Old 06-14-2019, 04:17 AM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times
Halle Berry is T2 ... I think we can agree that she’s an example of the fact that obesity isn’t necessarily the cause.

Old 06-14-2019, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Halle Berry is T2 ... I think we can agree that she’s an example of the fact that obesity isn’t necessarily the cause.
Yes, sometimes those very thin people who can eat anything and never get an ounce of fat are the most vulnerable to T2. And because they are thin they probably assume their diet and lifestyle is good enough, even if it's very bad.

Old 06-14-2019, 08:35 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,267,262 times
Quote:
Yes, sometimes those very thin people who can eat anything and never get an ounce of fat are the most vulnerable to T2. And because they are thin they probably assume their diet and lifestyle is good enough, even if it's very bad.
Yes, I have to watch my a1c and fasting glucose levels even though I'm thin (BMI hovers around 19). No idea why since I'm active and have no family history and I'm pretty careful with my diet- but that's the way it is.

Quote:
I have read of some Kenyan marathon runners eating pure sugar before a run. Of course, we are not marathon runners but it's kind of interesting.
This past Sunday at a Duathlon I consumed one of those little foil packets of caffeine-laced glucose. Here's an example of a brand. https://guenergy.com/ I LOVE the chocolate flavor but save them only for endurance events.

Old 07-04-2019, 07:20 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,849,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Waffle View Post
Hi All,

Just want to share my story with others who are type 2 diabetics. On 12/31/2018 I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes with A1C 7.5 with Total cholesterol 285 and LDL over 200+

My doctor gave me 3 months to make lifestyle adjustment before he wanted to start the medication. I did the research and made the adjustment, started working out and after 3 months my A1C came back 5.3, total cholesterol 178 and LDL 104.

I prepared a full video with Q & A from other people who wanted to know what and how I did.
https://youtu.be/I1bwJMvOYl0

My purpose for this video is not to promote anything just to share my story and my journey.
Good job. I was diagnosed with Type 2 in May 2018. My doctor wanted to put me on meds right off the bat since my A1C was 11% (yes I know). So..... I checked my blood sugar every morning and took the meds for like a week. Then I got back into something I hadn't done in probably 3 or 4 years.....

Good ole fashion exercise. Did anywhere from 30-60 minutes a day of exercise (sometimes just an hour walk after work to enjoy the night air and clear my head). Combine that with not eating 3 hershey bars a day (not joking) and drinking an appropriate amount of water brought my A1C down to under 6% by October, 2018.

I get it I'm fairly new at this disease having just acquired it but its not rocket science to manage it. Get out and do something each day and be intelligent about what you eat.

My biggest regret looking back is not so much my diet pre-type 2 but that I stopped working out for a good 3 years leading up to the diagnosis. From the time I was in high school until well my mid-30s I was one of those lift 5 times a week people. The gym wasn't my life but I did get in there for an hour a day most days and get some lifting in. When I stopped lifting is when I believe it began to happen. My muscles that I once had were no longer there to balance my less than mature diet. Going without any gym or regular exercise for 3 years combined with the still bad diet I believed led to it.

With that being said I am able to manage it without making any real ridiculous changes to my lifestyle.

Old 07-05-2019, 12:15 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,976,739 times
Quote:
Have we forgotten about genes? Diabetes isn't all diet.

I'm thin, have always had a good diet, never eat junk food, bread, etc., and I'm type 2. So was my mother, my grandmother, my brothers and a sister, my aunts, and too-many-to-count cousins.

But, no, of course it's all my diet's fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes