Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2019, 12:32 AM

240 posts, read 586,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
I never had diabetes but I am interested in the subject, because I think people are dangerously misinformed. I didn't have time yet to watch your whole video, but I can guess what its message is and I agree with it.

Just today I had a conversation on this subject with one of my neighbors. I saw her in the grocery store which is a 5 minute walk from where we live. She told me she had driven her car, because she is not used to walking. She told me her doctor keeps telling her to exercise. She told me she has high blood pressure and diabetes.

I had a similar conversation 2 days earlier with another neighbor. Maybe their doctors tell them to exercise, but maybe their doctors do NOT tell them that drugs are not the answer. So they think they can get by with the drugs, until someday maybe they get motivated to exercise.

I live in a senior community and I would bet most of the people here are just like those 2 neighbors I talked to about diabetes. Any many of them will soon be seriously disabled, mentally and physically. And they don't seem to know or care enough to put in a little effort. Like walking 5 minutes to the grocery store instead of driving.
My personal rule is to never start my vehicle unless it is pouring or storming if the the place I'm going is a mile or less in other words less than 20 minutes walking time and I can even take my time at that.

It amazes me the number of people who I meet who are walking because they had a heart attack and their doctor told them to walk for exercise. They are the ones in the categories you mentioned. Two choices only look your health or handle disaster that MIGHT not even have been necessary.

This is from a Superintendent I had: I was trying to correct a school safety issue -badly frayed carpet on heavily used stairs- and I was informed that, "Our school board believes in disaster management rather than disaster prevention".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2019, 11:33 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
I keep finding more information on the hormonal imbalances we live with. What I'm learning is mind blowing putting it mildly.

https://www.hgh10.com/managing-diabe...rowth-hormone/

Old 08-18-2019, 11:56 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,979,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I keep finding more information on the hormonal imbalances we live with. What I'm learning is mind blowing putting it mildly.

https://www.hgh10.com/managing-diabe...rowth-hormone/

From the article you linked: " It has been said that HGH can cause diabetes, particularly when used inappropriately."

Old 08-18-2019, 12:17 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
From the article you linked: " It has been said that HGH can cause diabetes, particularly when used inappropriately."
Inappropriate is the key. I'm finding so much info on poor health and aging and hormonal imbalances. Everything I'm reading leads me to deficiencies of hormones. There is a lot of info in the link you won't hear from your doc who prescribes the diabetic drugs.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 08-18-2019 at 12:30 PM..

Old 08-23-2019, 11:29 AM

591 posts, read 664,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Much Type II diabetes is due to being overweight. If you can lose the weight, your HbA1C can return to normal.

Along the same lines, some pregnant women develop gestational diabetes and once their baby is delivered their blood sugar level returns to normal.

Its far from a sure thing though. Some people can make lifestyle changes that will pretty much fix the problem. Others can make the same changes and still require medication.

Losing weight will take pressure off your pancreas and, in some cases, it will fix the problem. Other people aren't so lucky. There are type II diabetics who are athletic and have a totally normal weight.

I don't object to you posting this video and the Q & A. I do object to a suggestion that this is all anyone needs to do to return to normal.
I agree with the loosing of weight. I started at 227, and now 172. However, now it is very hard to loose more. I exercise at least 4 days a week, walking, treadmill, weights, the standing bike. I pretty much maintain 1200 to 1300 calorie diet. ANY THING ELSE I CAN DO?????? A1C 2 months ago was 6.6 LADYBEE

Old 09-11-2019, 12:33 PM

12,843 posts, read 9,573,647 times
How much exercise do you guys do? I am now working out just about every day, at least 30 minutes a day. The main thing is diet though, I used to be a carb fiend. I'm on day four of low/no carbs and I feel great already. As for genetics, I am easily the thinnest of my siblings, but the only one with diabetes.

Old 09-11-2019, 11:53 PM

240 posts, read 586,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
How much exercise do you guys do? I am now working out just about every day, at least 30 minutes a day. The main thing is diet though, I used to be a carb fiend. I'm on day four of low/no carbs and I feel great already. As for genetics, I am easily the thinnest of my siblings, but the only one with diabetes.
My mother ended up on insulin. Out of five kids, I'm the only diabetic. I was diagnosed as borderline for a long time. I have since found out that borderline is very similar to being a little bit pregnant. They always tell you to fast before your blood test so of course you get borderline reading.

Although I firmly believe that obesity promotes diabetes by the time I was diagnosed as diabetic I had lost 80 pounds. That was 20 years ago. I actually know lots of diabetics that were never overweight so I have to wonder. The reason I lost the weight was because I had heavy weight on my chest feeling. That was thirty years ago. First physical.

After I had a blood test the Doctor told me he had never seen such high readings. He was not a young Doctor. I had 1800 triglycerides and 480 cholesterol. He couldn't believe I had walked in instead of coming by ambulance.

He gave me three choices 1) Keep going the way I am and live a very short time 2) Keep going the way am, take a lot of pills and live and little longer or 3) Lose a lot of weight, take a few pills and live a long time. I opted for #3. I had lost hardly any weigh when the weight on my chest feeling began to go away. In other words I opted for no heart attack which was very close. Most obese people court the heart attack first.

I firmly believe that DISASTER PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN DISASTER MANAGEMENT.

By the way it took about 10 years to lose that 80 pounds and I never used any of the magic methods that are all over TV I simply quit eating all the garbage I shouldn't be eating. Just did sit ups (Not those stupid hands behind my head crunches but hit knees with hands each sit up) and leg lifts to 90 degrees. When doing sit ups never have your feet held or put you feet under anything. That nullifies the exercise aspect.I eventually got up to 50 of each in the morning and at bedtime and I always did walk a lot so didn't need to change that. It took quite a while to get up to 50. I just added on every time I could. Oh, I know a lot of readers are saying "I can easily do a hundred" but put a 50 pound weight on each shoulder to imitate lifting all that fat that is being lifted and do your 100.

I aimed for a quarter ounce or about a quarter of a tablespoon of fat a day. I never even thought that depressing word DIET instead it was "I'm not going to gain weight today, I'm going to lose some". Pretty goofy don't you think? The word diet is sort of like you are being punished for losing weight. Never think the word DIET again.

Last edited by 13levine; 09-12-2019 at 12:39 AM..

Old 09-12-2019, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13levine View Post
My mother ended up on insulin. Out of five kids, I'm the only diabetic. I was diagnosed as borderline for a long time. I have since found out that borderline is very similar to being a little bit pregnant. They always tell you to fast before your blood test so of course you get borderline reading.

Although I firmly believe that obesity promotes diabetes by the time I was diagnosed as diabetic I had lost 80 pounds. That was 20 years ago. I actually know lots of diabetics that were never overweight so I have to wonder. The reason I lost the weight was because I had heavy weight on my chest feeling. That was thirty years ago. First physical.

After I had a blood test the Doctor told me he had never seen such high readings. He was not a young Doctor. I had 1800 triglycerides and 480 cholesterol. He couldn't believe I had walked in instead of coming by ambulance.

He gave me three choices 1) Keep going the way I am and live a very short time 2) Keep going the way am, take a lot of pills and live and little longer or 3) Lose a lot of weight, take a few pills and live a long time. I opted for #3. I had lost hardly any weigh when the weight on my chest feeling began to go away. In other words I opted for no heart attack which was very close. Most obese people court the heart attack first.

I firmly believe that DISASTER PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN DISASTER MANAGEMENT.

By the way it took about 10 years to lose that 80 pounds and I never used any of the magic methods that are all over TV I simply quit eating all the garbage I shouldn't be eating. Just did sit ups (Not those stupid hands behind my head crunches but hit knees with hands each sit up) and leg lifts to 90 degrees. When doing sit ups never have your feet held or put you feet under anything. That nullifies the exercise aspect.I eventually got up to 50 of each in the morning and at bedtime and I always did walk a lot so didn't need to change that. It took quite a while to get up to 50. I just added on every time I could. Oh, I know a lot of readers are saying "I can easily do a hundred" but put a 50 pound weight on each shoulder to imitate lifting all that fat that is being lifted and do your 100.

I aimed for a quarter ounce or about a quarter of a tablespoon of fat a day. I never even thought that depressing word DIET instead it was "I'm not going to gain weight today, I'm going to lose some". Pretty goofy don't you think? The word diet is sort of like you are being punished for losing weight. Never think the word DIET again.
Thanks for sharing. I will say, I've had a horrible diet most of my life, just happen to not be drastically overweight. I am as thin now as I am at 21, but in better shape.

Old 09-18-2019, 12:44 PM

I've cut out carbs and fast food over the last two weeks. Now, will I steal an occasional fry from my kids? Yes, absolutely. Did I just eat 2 oz of Yakisoba noodles, yes. In 11 days, my morning A1C has gone from 7.8 to 4.85. Is this unusual? It's been gradual of course, but I feel great. No more brain fog, have energy.

Old 09-18-2019, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I've cut out carbs and fast food over the last two weeks. Now, will I steal an occasional fry from my kids? Yes, absolutely. Did I just eat 2 oz of Yakisoba noodles, yes. In 11 days, my morning A1C has gone from 7.8 to 4.85. Is this unusual? It's been gradual of course, but I feel great. No more brain fog, have energy.
I better be careful. Sugar could be too low maybe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes