Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 11:25 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
No, not as high as his. I was trying to say that out of all the diabetics I know (some with good and some with bad control), none of them had fatigue as a symptom. Foot ulcers, kidney damage, eye problems, yes, but not fatigue on a daily basis just from being diabetic, not even the ones with bad control.

Mostly I was saying that his old age of 48 is not causing his fatigue
Agreed, and I am going to be 53 soon.

But probably a chicken and egg thing. Lack of exercise and a poor diet can contribute to diabetes AND fatigue.

When I was first diagnosed with RA I had been exercising, and was told to exercise more... Really? When I feel like I have been beaten with baseball bats, can barely walk, and have no energy?!!! Yep, and boy did it make a huge difference in the long run.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2019, 12:12 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,974,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I was responding to your post, yes the symptoms you describe are the most typical complications but by no means the only ones. Fatty liver affects many T2's who are overweight and insulin-resistant but by no means all diabetics. It goes hand in hand with a bad diet of too many refined carbs. I do not understand why some people here think I am talking about them, I speak (or write) in broader terms. I agree about the age. Both young and old diabetics can have liver issues and suffer from fatigue, I don't think it's age-related. The fatigue could be from something else entirely, who knows?

Maybe because you quote them when you're posting? That makes it look like you're talking to the person you quoted, rather than in broader terms.

Again, I think the OP should investigate his fatigue, rather than blame it on diabetes.

Old 07-12-2019, 12:22 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,467,804 times
Quote:
Maybe because you quote them when you're posting? That makes it look like you're talking to the person you quoted, rather than in broader terms.
Really? I am responding to what you posted, not talking about YOU personally. There is a difference.

Quote:
My own liver is fine and dandy.
This is what left me wondering. We were talking about someone else.

My suggestion was that the fatigue was not directly from diabetes but from a complication.

Old 07-13-2019, 12:09 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,974,750 times
Quote:
Really? I am responding to what you posted, not talking about YOU personally. There is a difference.

You asked why people think you're talking to them when you aren't, and that's the reason why.

Old 07-14-2019, 10:28 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Waffle View Post
Hi All,

Just want to share my story with others who are type 2 diabetics. On 12/31/2018 I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes with A1C 7.5 with Total cholesterol 285 and LDL over 200+

My doctor gave me 3 months to make lifestyle adjustment before he wanted to start the medication. I did the research and made the adjustment, started working out and after 3 months my A1C came back 5.3, total cholesterol 178 and LDL 104.

I prepared a full video with Q & A from other people who wanted to know what and how I did.
https://youtu.be/I1bwJMvOYl0

My purpose for this video is not to promote anything just to share my story and my journey.
Much Type II diabetes is due to being overweight. If you can lose the weight, your HbA1C can return to normal.

Along the same lines, some pregnant women develop gestational diabetes and once their baby is delivered their blood sugar level returns to normal.

Its far from a sure thing though. Some people can make lifestyle changes that will pretty much fix the problem. Others can make the same changes and still require medication.

Losing weight will take pressure off your pancreas and, in some cases, it will fix the problem. Other people aren't so lucky. There are type II diabetics who are athletic and have a totally normal weight.

I don't object to you posting this video and the Q & A. I do object to a suggestion that this is all anyone needs to do to return to normal.

Old 07-22-2019, 09:56 AM

4,587 posts, read 2,596,069 times
Quote:
I was responding to your post, yes the symptoms you describe are the most typical complications but by no means the only ones. Fatty liver affects many T2's who are overweight and insulin-resistant but by no means all diabetics. It goes hand in hand with a bad diet of too many refined carbs. I do not understand why some people here think I am talking about them, I speak (or write) in broader terms. I agree about the age. Both young and old diabetics can have liver issues and suffer from fatigue, I don't think it's age-related. The fatigue could be from something else entirely, who knows?
I do have a fatty liver. Thanks everyone. My A1C btw usually ranges from like 6.1 to a high of 7.4 over the last 7 years. I started taking Ozempic 4 weeks ago. This week I begin the actual treatment dose after four treatments designed to acclimate myself to the medication. Hoping I will lose some weight as the medication is shown to reduce your appetitie.

Old 07-30-2019, 09:12 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,683,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Waffle View Post
Hi All,

Just want to share my story with others who are type 2 diabetics. On 12/31/2018 I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes with A1C 7.5 with Total cholesterol 285 and LDL over 200+

My doctor gave me 3 months to make lifestyle adjustment before he wanted to start the medication. I did the research and made the adjustment, started working out and after 3 months my A1C came back 5.3, total cholesterol 178 and LDL 104.

I prepared a full video with Q & A from other people who wanted to know what and how I did.
https://youtu.be/I1bwJMvOYl0

My purpose for this video is not to promote anything just to share my story and my journey.
Congratulations on your success in turning your health around!

You mentioned Drs. Neal Barnard and Joel Fuhrman as great resources in your video. Maybe you are already aware of them, but you might also want to check out Drs. John McDougall and Michael Greger.

Even though these physicians are all in agreement that a whole food plant-based diet is best for optimal health, I think it helps to get input from across the board. Drs. McDougall and Greger also have monthly free webinars covering various health related topics.

Dr. McDougall:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/

Dr. Greger:
https://nutritionfacts.org/

Finally, there's good news in that some diabetes associations are finally recognizing the benefits of a plant-based diet:

Plant-Based Diets Recognized by Diabetes Associations
Michael Greger M.D. FACLM July 29th, 2019 Volume 47
https://nutritionfacts.org/video/pla...eid=6a2f19ee58

Old 07-30-2019, 10:39 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
I would add Mark Bittman and Michael Pollan.

If I had to choose one? Michael Greger. But I don't, so I read them all!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-30-2019, 08:29 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,381,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
Congratulations on your success in turning your health around!

You mentioned Drs. Neal Barnard and Joel Fuhrman as great resources in your video. Maybe you are already aware of them, but you might also want to check out Drs. John McDougall and Michael Greger.

Even though these physicians are all in agreement that a whole food plant-based diet is best for optimal health, I think it helps to get input from across the board. Drs. McDougall and Greger also have monthly free webinars covering various health related topics.

Dr. McDougall:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/

Dr. Greger:
https://nutritionfacts.org/

Finally, there's good news in that some diabetes associations are finally recognizing the benefits of a plant-based diet:

Plant-Based Diets Recognized by Diabetes Associations
Michael Greger M.D. FACLM July 29th, 2019 Volume 47
https://nutritionfacts.org/video/pla...eid=6a2f19ee58

if you are type 2 and not yet insulin dependent what you did took a lot of effort.But I will still caution
diabetics against it.

Old 08-13-2019, 09:32 AM

12 posts, read 6,702 times
Quote:
I always take issue with someone saying they've "reversed" their diabetes. If you were to eat an apple or banana right now, would you get a blood sugar spike? (assuming you aren't on insulin) If so, you are still diabetic, which would mean you've learned to control your diabetes, but you are still diabetic.

I was diagnosed as diabetic with an A1c of 6.-something, I can't remember. At the time, I weighed 124 pounds, which was my normal weight all my adult life. I now weigh 110 pounds. I keep my A1c around 6, which is good control, but I'm still diabetic and always will be. I haven't "reversed" anything; I control it.

Anyway, congrats on your control. Keep it up.
GO vegan and the diabetes will go away
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes