Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2019, 03:08 PM

37,126 posts, read 41,324,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I've cut out carbs and fast food over the last two weeks. Now, will I steal an occasional fry from my kids? Yes, absolutely. Did I just eat 2 oz of Yakisoba noodles, yes. In 11 days, my morning A1C has gone from 7.8 to 4.85. Is this unusual? It's been gradual of course, but I feel great. No more brain fog, have energy.

Your A1C or your blood glucose? A1C is an average over 3 months and would not be expected to change that much in 11 days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2019, 03:52 PM

12,859 posts, read 9,600,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Your A1C or your blood glucose? A1C is an average over 3 months and would not be expected to change that much in 11 days.
Sorry, my Glucose. I use an online chart to convert, though I know it's not the most scientific.

Old 12-18-2019, 11:45 PM

240 posts, read 586,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
I always take issue with someone saying they've "reversed" their diabetes. If you were to eat an apple or banana right now, would you get a blood sugar spike? (assuming you aren't on insulin) If so, you are still diabetic, which would mean you've learned to control your diabetes, but you are still diabetic.

I was diagnosed as diabetic with an A1c of 6.-something, I can't remember. At the time, I weighed 124 pounds, which was my normal weight all my adult life. I now weigh 110 pounds. I keep my A1c around 6, which is good control, but I'm still diabetic and always will be. I haven't "reversed" anything; I control it.

Anyway, congrats on your control. Keep it up.
Well said. I friend of mine a long time ago got real good readings for quite awhile and decided he wasn't a diabetic anymore and just kind of forgot about.

It was a few years later that he got a sore on his leg and doctored it himself. He ended up getting a leg amputated.

After that he paid attention to his diabetes and lived for quite a few years.

No such thing as curing your diabetes that's the non fancy way of saying reversing it. It's a case of managing your diabetes properly forever.

I've only been a diabetic for about 20 years but was diabetic long before that so not an authority on it. They just kept saying pre-diabetic or borderline which is like saying little bit pregnant. Found out later none of them exist. You either are or you aren't. No happy medium.

Old 01-06-2020, 02:46 PM

215 posts, read 151,978 times
Newbie questions. I was told "No matter what, you can't avoid T2 diabetic when one of your parents is T2 Diabetic"
I am 40+ year old male, vegetarian all my life, healthy, and obsessed with being strong and fit since my early 20s. Has been working out for the past 18+ years. Of late, I cut out milk from my diet. I eat healthy most of the time, and occasionally eat small amounts of junk food, once or twice a week.

My diet consists of Oats (breakfast), Beans, veggies and nuts throughout the day.
My goal is to prevent diabetes.

However, keeping the above quote in mind, I want to get inputs from experienced. Each doctor tells a different story. Online research says, we can prevent.

Other school of thought is that, you need to go low carbs (good or bad), ("Keto") to prevent diabetes. But my only source of protein is Beans (which is loaded with carbs, though good carbs).

Old 01-06-2020, 04:04 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,984,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicy_guy View Post
Newbie questions. I was told "No matter what, you can't avoid T2 diabetic when one of your parents is T2 Diabetic"
I am 40+ year old male, vegetarian all my life, healthy, and obsessed with being strong and fit since my early 20s. Has been working out for the past 18+ years. Of late, I cut out milk from my diet. I eat healthy most of the time, and occasionally eat small amounts of junk food, once or twice a week.

My diet consists of Oats (breakfast), Beans, veggies and nuts throughout the day.

However, keeping the above quote in mind, I want to get inputs from experienced. Each doctor tells a different story. Online research says, we can prevent.

Other school of thought is that, you need to go low carbs (good or bad), ("Keto") to prevent diabetes. But my only source of protein is Beans (which is loaded with carbs, though good carbs).
As for your quote above, I don't think it's absolutely true. If a parent is a diabetic, you do have more of a chance of becoming diabetic yourself, but it's not a guarantee. An an anecdote, my mother was type 2, and half of her children became type 2, the other half did not. (I did become diabetic, and I was strong and fit, have never been overweight...same as my diabetic brothers.)

If you haven't been diagnosed as diabetic, I wouldn't worry about it yet...but eating oats and beans will do nothing to keep you from becoming diabetic, maybe cutting carbs would help though.

Old 01-07-2020, 03:14 AM

7,280 posts, read 5,162,086 times
When I was younger, my hair was too thick to easily get a comb thru it. Now, the part down the middle is eight inches wide.

I was "born bald," so to speak, it just took 50 yrs for the baldness to show itself. I could wear a rug now and the baldness wouldn't be obvious and avoid some of the down sides of badness, but underneath (literally), I'd still be bald.

Diabetes is a genetic condition, but it's polygenic. Two diabetic parents can produce a child who is not diabetic. Two non-diabetic parents can produce a child who is-- and there's all the combinations & permutations of that in between.

It's a good plan for everybody to eat & exercise properly. your whole life, whether or not you think you might have the genes for diabetes.

Old 01-07-2020, 08:49 AM

215 posts, read 151,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
As for your quote above, I don't think it's absolutely true. If a parent is a diabetic, you do have more of a chance of becoming diabetic yourself, but it's not a guarantee. An an anecdote, my mother was type 2, and half of her children became type 2, the other half did not. (I did become diabetic, and I was strong and fit, have never been overweight...same as my diabetic brothers.)

If you haven't been diagnosed as diabetic, I wouldn't worry about it yet...but eating oats and beans will do nothing to keep you from becoming diabetic, maybe cutting carbs would help though.
Point well taken!

Old 01-07-2020, 11:28 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,488,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicy_guy View Post

For most, genetics by themselves will not give you T2D unless you also inherit an unhealthy lifestyle. THAT you can change and avoid it if you truly have the gene. If you don't have the gene then you should also avoid the unhealthy lifestyle just to be safe.

You also do not necessarily need to go low carb to prevent but instead avoid high (refined) carbs.

For a large percentage of T2 diabetics, the condition is brought on by a pattern of the wrong foods, overeating and lack of exercise. This combinations leads to insulin resistance which often becomes T2D. A much smaller percentage of T2's would be due to an insulin deficiency, this is a dysfunction of the pancreas and not usually brought on by lifestyle.

It's complicated, you should educate yourself. Doctors are humans, some smarter and more in-tune than others, you should not solely rely on them.

Old 01-08-2020, 08:57 AM

48,556 posts, read 34,920,300 times
If you are worried about becoming diabetic get yourself a blood monitor, and test yourself after eating certain foods. No sense worrying, when you can know for sure.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-16-2020, 12:39 AM

240 posts, read 586,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Did you change anything about your exercise? I suspect exercise is of central importance, and although it is recognized by MDs, it is not emphasized enough. Muscle cells not using enough of the glucose that comes along results in insulin resistance.
I get a kick out the number of people that attribute diabetes solely to obesity. I had lost 80 pounds before I was diagnosed as diabetic. I've known nearly as many diabetics who worked hard and were never diabetic. Some of them never had to work out or walk for exercise because they worked so hard. As far as exercise it is very important not only from the aspect of burning off sugar but also for weight control. I'm not really sure about the muscles and insulin resistance aspect because the resistance doesn't allow the insulin to do it's thing getting the sugar out of the blood into the muscles where it does some good.
Furthermore I've know a huge number of people who were morbidly obese and weren't diabetic. I am not saying that people who are obese aren't more likely to become diabetic because I am sure it is a contributing factor for many.

For some reason the obese have a much harder time controlling their sugar but is probably because most of their lives they ate all that food and garbage that got them obese in the first place so it is hugely difficult for them to fight a battle on two fronts. Eating like a diabetic has to to control sugar readings at the same time as losing weight. Of course the losing weight part, at least slowly, comes naturally the way a diabetic has to eat.

Years ago I put the sugar bowl up in the cupboard when it went empty and not a grain of sugar has passed my lips since (probably at least 10 years). For example on my cereal when I have it, I use honey same for a sandwich instead of jam. You are right, honey is sugar to the body, too but at least it has good stuff in it. I also have a donut or pie or cake now and then. It's kind of a balancing act. You can eat anything but the great big thing is moderation. No more half a pizza or half a dozen donuts or the other stuff on the no no list.

As far as exercise goes I never take my car if it is less than a mile or in other words a 20 minute walk. Tank of gas lasts me all winter and I have lot left of the tank for spring. Summer different story for because a trailer is to hard to pull but with what I do when I shut the car off I get lots of exercise doing what do to make money.

Last edited by 13levine; 01-16-2020 at 01:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes