Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2020, 09:02 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,490,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13levine View Post
I get a kick out the number of people that attribute diabetes solely to obesity.
Yes, this.

Very often, obesity is a side effect of insulin resistance. Insulin resistance is the effect of too much insulin on a regular basis. Too much insulin is the effect of too many high carb foods and not enough exercise. Obesity on it's own does NOT cause diabetes. Insulin resistance quite often causes or leads to T2D.

More than 100 million Americans have diabetes or pre-diabetes. The cause for most is obvious. Bad diet and lack of exercise.
https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2...es-report.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2020, 12:29 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,984,813 times
I belong to a type 2 diabetes group that advocates less than 50 carbs per day. The obese members lose a substantial amount of weight with this low carb intake, and they get their A1c's down to normal level (not prediabetic level, normal level). Once they lose the weight, they are still diabetic and for the rest of their lives still have to limit their carbs to avoid blood sugar spikes....diabetes doesn't go away with weight loss.

Old 01-16-2020, 07:32 PM

92 posts, read 44,568 times
Congrats on completely eliminating the episode of type 2 diabetes you had! Best of luck to you going forward!

Old 01-22-2020, 08:16 AM

2,176 posts, read 1,328,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybee View Post
I agree with the loosing of weight. I started at 227, and now 172. However, now it is very hard to loose more. I exercise at least 4 days a week, walking, treadmill, weights, the standing bike. I pretty much maintain 1200 to 1300 calorie diet. ANY THING ELSE I CAN DO?????? A1C 2 months ago was 6.6 LADYBEE
In a nutshell- fasting 14, better 16 hours a day may help.
For example- if you have dinner at 6pm- your next meal is not earlier than 10 am. No snack in- between. You can drink water. Consume all your meals in an 8 hour window.
It has to do with the hormone leptin
It would be good for everyone to learn about leptin and it’s effects on the insulin in the body.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3602983/

Last edited by Nik4me; 01-22-2020 at 08:28 AM..

Old 01-23-2020, 12:24 AM

240 posts, read 586,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybee View Post
I agree with the loosing of weight. I started at 227, and now 172. However, now it is very hard to loose more. I exercise at least 4 days a week, walking, treadmill, weights, the standing bike. I pretty much maintain 1200 to 1300 calorie diet. ANY THING ELSE I CAN DO?????? A1C 2 months ago was 6.6 LADYBEE
I would say from my own experience you are doing all you can do. You have somewhere around a 160 meter reading which certainly could be lowered. It kind of depends what you are eating. You must not be indulging in much sugar to lose that much weight and have that A1C.

If you keep doing what you are doing you will get past those plateau (those are depressing) and be happy just losing a little bit of weight at a time it will be permanent weight loss and your readings will improve.

I ran into lots of those plateaus but don't give up, you are on the right track. I found out 3 meals a day of an average of 3 or 4 hundred calories a meal and a small snack between meals worked best. Biggest meal in the morning, smallest at night. Goes back to that old saying: Breakfast like a queen (king), lunch like a princess (prince), supper like a Pauper.

If you count carbs it depends of course on the individuals weight and activity but I think it is around average 45 to 60 for women and 60 to 75 for men per meal or 45% of calories per day. Virtually everything has carbs in it.

What most people fail at is not drinking enough water. Eight glasses a day is not near enough because half of it ends up in the bathroom. I drink at least a dozen large glasses a day it is really good for the blood. It lubes the joints really well too if you drink enough. I've had arthritis in one hip so bad I could hardly walk and 2 big glasses of water and it was like magic how quickly the pain went away.

Old 01-23-2020, 06:31 PM

2,441 posts, read 6,264,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
I belong to a type 2 diabetes group that advocates less than 50 carbs per day. The obese members lose a substantial amount of weight with this low carb intake, and they get their A1c's down to normal level (not prediabetic level, normal level). Once they lose the weight, they are still diabetic and for the rest of their lives still have to limit their carbs to avoid blood sugar spikes....diabetes doesn't go away with weight loss.
Obviously, you are not taking the advise of the ADA, which advocates loading up on carbs and injecting insulin for the rest of your life.

Could it be that the ADA is more interested in raking in millions of dollars in donations from Big Pharma, who makes billions every year selling insulin, than advocating a low-carb diet that can place T2 into remission?

The answer is obvious. It's all about the $$$$$$.

Old 01-23-2020, 06:55 PM

37,131 posts, read 41,330,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
Obviously, you are not taking the advise of the ADA, which advocates loading up on carbs and injecting insulin for the rest of your life.

Could it be that the ADA is more interested in raking in millions of dollars in donations from Big Pharma, who makes billions every year selling insulin, than advocating a low-carb diet that can place T2 into remission?

The answer is obvious. It's all about the $$$$$$.
Please provide a link to the ADA's advice to load up on carbs and inject insulin for the rest of your life.
Thank you.

Old 01-24-2020, 12:45 PM

The ADA recommends 45-60 carbs each meal, plus 15-20 carbs each snack. If I did that, I'd be at least 20 pounds heavier than I am now, my A1c would be much higher, and I'd be on several medications and very likely insulin. No thanks... I'll keep my A1c in the 5-6 range, without all those recommended carbs and medications (I only take metformin*). I normally believe what doctors tell me, but these ADA recommendations are counter productive and actually harmful to diabetics, and diabetics are coming to realize this.

https://professional.diabetes.org/si...e_Counting.pdf

*Edit: I recently realized that I can lower my sugars/A1c to near-normal range by eating fewer carbs than recommended, and without metformin. No doctor has ever told me this.

Last edited by oldgardener; 01-24-2020 at 01:04 PM..

Old 01-24-2020, 01:31 PM

37,131 posts, read 41,330,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
The ADA recommends 45-60 carbs each meal, plus 15-20 carbs each snack. If I did that, I'd be at least 20 pounds heavier than I am now, my A1c would be much higher, and I'd be on several medications and very likely insulin. No thanks... I'll keep my A1c in the 5-6 range, without all those recommended carbs and medications (I only take metformin*). I normally believe what doctors tell me, but these ADA recommendations are counter productive and actually harmful to diabetics, and diabetics are coming to realize this.

https://professional.diabetes.org/si...e_Counting.pdf

*Edit: I recently realized that I can lower my sugars/A1c to near-normal range by eating fewer carbs than recommended, and without metformin. No doctor has ever told me this.
You might want to consider the collateral benefits of metformin before stopping it.

https://www.everydayhealth.com/type-...pe-2-diabetes/

I think the ADA is just being realistic. There are people who just will not follow an extremely low carb diet.

Old 01-24-2020, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
You might want to consider the collateral benefits of metformin before stopping it.

https://www.everydayhealth.com/type-...pe-2-diabetes/

I think the ADA is just being realistic. There are people who just will not follow an extremely low carb diet.
There are a surprising number of diabetics who are perfectly willing to follow an extremely low carb diet---they have just never been told that they can, or that they should. They are given metformin and a slew of other drugs/insulin and told to "watch what you eat, eat fruit, eat this many (too many!) carbs at every meal" That isn't good enough advice, and the ADA should be advocating change in their guidelines to help accomplish this.

I wish I had known this years ago, I could have helped my brother control his diabetes better, before he had his feet amputated when he was following ADA guidelines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes