Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 09:12 AM

252 posts, read 459,225 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

Just want to share my story with others who are type 2 diabetics. On 12/31/2018 I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes with A1C 7.5 with Total cholesterol 285 and LDL over 200+

My doctor gave me 3 months to make lifestyle adjustment before he wanted to start the medication. I did the research and made the adjustment, started working out and after 3 months my A1C came back 5.3, total cholesterol 178 and LDL 104.

I prepared a full video with Q & A from other people who wanted to know what and how I did.
https://youtu.be/I1bwJMvOYl0

My purpose for this video is not to promote anything just to share my story and my journey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2019, 01:28 PM

8,226 posts, read 3,422,044 times
I never had diabetes but I am interested in the subject, because I think people are dangerously misinformed. I didn't have time yet to watch your whole video, but I can guess what its message is and I agree with it.

Just today I had a conversation on this subject with one of my neighbors. I saw her in the grocery store which is a 5 minute walk from where we live. She told me she had driven her car, because she is not used to walking. She told me her doctor keeps telling her to exercise. She told me she has high blood pressure and diabetes.

I had a similar conversation 2 days earlier with another neighbor. Maybe their doctors tell them to exercise, but maybe their doctors do NOT tell them that drugs are not the answer. So they think they can get by with the drugs, until someday maybe they get motivated to exercise.

I live in a senior community and I would bet most of the people here are just like those 2 neighbors I talked to about diabetes. Any many of them will soon be seriously disabled, mentally and physically. And they don't seem to know or care enough to put in a little effort. Like walking 5 minutes to the grocery store instead of driving.

Old 06-10-2019, 02:51 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,978,672 times
I always take issue with someone saying they've "reversed" their diabetes. If you were to eat an apple or banana right now, would you get a blood sugar spike? (assuming you aren't on insulin) If so, you are still diabetic, which would mean you've learned to control your diabetes, but you are still diabetic.

I was diagnosed as diabetic with an A1c of 6.-something, I can't remember. At the time, I weighed 124 pounds, which was my normal weight all my adult life. I now weigh 110 pounds. I keep my A1c around 6, which is good control, but I'm still diabetic and always will be. I haven't "reversed" anything; I control it.

Anyway, congrats on your control. Keep it up.

Old 06-10-2019, 06:10 PM

48,526 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Congrats! My AIC was in pre-diabetic range for about a year and it's now down to normal levels. Basically I followed my doc's instructions of dividing the carbs by the fiber and eating those things <5, and by testing my BS after eating various things.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-10-2019, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
I always take issue with someone saying they've "reversed" their diabetes. If you were to eat an apple or banana right now, would you get a blood sugar spike? (assuming you aren't on insulin) If so, you are still diabetic, which would mean you've learned to control your diabetes, but you are still diabetic.

I was diagnosed as diabetic with an A1c of 6.-something, I can't remember. At the time, I weighed 124 pounds, which was my normal weight all my adult life. I now weigh 110 pounds. I keep my A1c around 6, which is good control, but I'm still diabetic and always will be. I haven't "reversed" anything; I control it.

Anyway, congrats on your control. Keep it up.
Did you change anything about your exercise? I suspect exercise is of central importance, and although it is recognized by MDs, it is not emphasized enough. Muscle cells not using enough of the glucose that comes along results in insulin resistance.

Old 06-10-2019, 10:44 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
I never had diabetes but I am interested in the subject, because I think people are dangerously misinformed. I didn't have time yet to watch your whole video, but I can guess what its message is and I agree with it.

Just today I had a conversation on this subject with one of my neighbors. I saw her in the grocery store which is a 5 minute walk from where we live. She told me she had driven her car, because she is not used to walking. She told me her doctor keeps telling her to exercise. She told me she has high blood pressure and diabetes.

I had a similar conversation 2 days earlier with another neighbor. Maybe their doctors tell them to exercise, but maybe their doctors do NOT tell them that drugs are not the answer. So they think they can get by with the drugs, until someday maybe they get motivated to exercise.

I live in a senior community and I would bet most of the people here are just like those 2 neighbors I talked to about diabetes. Any many of them will soon be seriously disabled, mentally and physically. And they don't seem to know or care enough to put in a little effort. Like walking 5 minutes to the grocery store instead of driving.
How do they get the groceries home if they are doing the weekly shopping?

Quote:
Did you change anything about your exercise? I suspect exercise is of central importance, and although it is recognized by MDs, it is not emphasized enough. Muscle cells not using enough of the glucose that comes along results in insulin resistance.
https://www.endocrineweb.com/conditi...auses-symptoms

"While genetics, aging and ethnicity play roles in developing insulin sensitivity, the driving forces behind insulin resistance include excess body weight, too much belly fat, a lack of exercise, smoking, and even skimping on sleep."

"How You Can Prevent or Reverse Insulin Resistance

Losing weight, getting regular exercise and not skimping on sleep can all help improve your insulin sensitivity. Don’t rely on dieting or exercise alone: in one fascinating University of New Mexico School of Medicine study, published in the International Journal of Obesity, overweight people who lost 10% of their weight through diet plus exercise saw insulin sensitivity improve by an impressive 80%. Those who lost the same amount of weight through diet alone got a 38% increase. And those who simply got more exercise, but didn’t lose much weight, saw almost no shift in their level of insulin resistance."

Controlling obesity, rather than exercise alone, is the key.

Old 06-11-2019, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
How do they get the groceries home if they are doing the weekly shopping?

https://www.endocrineweb.com/conditi...auses-symptoms

"While genetics, aging and ethnicity play roles in developing insulin sensitivity, the driving forces behind insulin resistance include excess body weight, too much belly fat, a lack of exercise, smoking, and even skimping on sleep."

"How You Can Prevent or Reverse Insulin Resistance

Losing weight, getting regular exercise and not skimping on sleep can all help improve your insulin sensitivity. Don’t rely on dieting or exercise alone: in one fascinating University of New Mexico School of Medicine study, published in the International Journal of Obesity, overweight people who lost 10% of their weight through diet plus exercise saw insulin sensitivity improve by an impressive 80%. Those who lost the same amount of weight through diet alone got a 38% increase. And those who simply got more exercise, but didn’t lose much weight, saw almost no shift in their level of insulin resistance."

Controlling obesity, rather than exercise alone, is the key.
Thin people can get type 2 diabetes, so the cause is not obesity. Obesity is often the result of refined carbohydrates and lack of exercise. And refined carbohydrates and lack of exercise also cause diabetes.

Muscle cells become insulin resistant because insulin is transporting too much glucose into them. There is no way that obesity could be the cause of insulin resistance.

Old 06-11-2019, 06:27 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,268,961 times
Congratulations! I'm a huge believer in prevention and managing conditions as much as possible through healthy living. I have a fasting glucose of 112. Very thin, very active (BMI 20, 1+ hours of cardio every day). No family history but there you are. I got my a1c from 6.0 to 5.5 by cutting way back on potatoes, rice, pasta, etc. and eating more beans, lentils, quinoa, etc. I'm hoping diet and exercise will continue to keep me from becoming a slave to Big Pharma.

Old 06-11-2019, 06:45 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Thin people can get type 2 diabetes, so the cause is not obesity. Obesity is often the result of refined carbohydrates and lack of exercise. And refined carbohydrates and lack of exercise also cause diabetes.

Muscle cells become insulin resistant because insulin is transporting too much glucose into them. There is no way that obesity could be the cause of insulin resistance.
https://insulclock.com/en/is-the-ins...e-as-diabetes/

"The moment when the organism stops reacting to the action of the insulin it is known as insulin resistance or, what is the same, a low insulin sensitivity. It is also known as hyperinsulinemia or insulin resistance.

It is an alteration that is produced in the fatty tissue which makes that insulin cannot carry out its function on it. Insulin produced in the pancreas does not work well, so the body does not react as it should do it. With its glycemia increasing, and the pancreas keeps increasing the need for more insulin.

In other words, the key (insulin) does not achieve to open the cells’ lock as before. This creates a vicious circle that when pancreas loses its capacity for secreting insulin, can lead to a pre-diabetes, type 2 diabetes or severe cardiovascular diseases."

Could you provide a source to support your theory, please?

Old 06-12-2019, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

Could you provide a source to support your theory, please?
Your theory doesn't make sense. How could obesity be the cause of type 2 diabetes if a lot of thin people also get it?

It is well known that insulin resistance results when too much glucose is being transported into cells by insulin. The cells eventually must protect themselves by becoming insulin resistant.

I'm sure you can easily find sources.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes