Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2021, 07:46 PM

2,391 posts, read 1,409,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Dated and biased nonsense. Fat is essential for survival. If it wasn't, the body wouldn't try to save as much of it as possible. Fat makes up 40% of my food intake, much of it is saturated fat. I am as healthy as could be.
Sure, fat is essential for survival. But having fat be 40% of one’s diet is absolutely not essential for survival.

No one ever seems to mention the traditional Okinawan diet — only 7% fat and Okinawans were famous for their longevity.

I always find it weird when people say something like “fat is essential for survival.” It’s like saying “food is essential for survival ,” as all food — every single item, except for salt and pure sugar, has fat in it. Yup, even food that we do not associate with fat ha ecfar in them, sometimes a lot. Raspberries are 12% fat; spinach is 14% fat; plain oatmeal cooked in water is something like 15% fat. Even nonfat foods have fat in them … and sometimes a lot of fat. All the “nonfat” label means is that there is less than .4g of fat per serving where serving size can be as small as the manufacturer desires.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2021, 11:18 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,796,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
Sure, fat is essential for survival. But having fat be 40% of one’s diet is absolutely not essential for survival.

No one ever seems to mention the traditional Okinawan diet — only 7% fat and Okinawans were famous for their longevity.

I always find it weird when people say something like “fat is essential for survival.” It’s like saying “food is essential for survival ,” as all food — every single item, except for salt and pure sugar, has fat in it. Yup, even food that we do not associate with fat ha ecfar in them, sometimes a lot. Raspberries are 12% fat; spinach is 14% fat; plain oatmeal cooked in water is something like 15% fat. Even nonfat foods have fat in them … and sometimes a lot of fat. All the “nonfat” label means is that there is less than .4g of fat per serving where serving size can be as small as the manufacturer desires.
There are over 7 billion people on this planet and they all have unique fingerprints and DNA. Some people can thrive on certain type of diets. The low-fat component of the Okinawan diet is just one of many factors that help them live longer. The Sicilians in Italy who eat more fat than the Okinawans also live a long time. You are acting like a hammer looking for a nail that fits your bias, prejudice, upbringing, etc. This kind of thinking is how bad studies were conducted by biased people. They looked at people who died of heart diseases and screamed, "it's the saturated fat the caused the heart disease." But they ignored the junk food, sedentary lifestyle, and smoking that played a role. The Inuit people eat a very high-fat diet, yet they have very few incidents of heart diseases.

The Inuit Paradox - Arctic Journal

As for me, I am 56 and can still run, have near perfect vision in both eyes, and don't have to take any pill for any diseases. Can you say the same about yourself?

Old 08-20-2021, 01:26 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,486,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post

I wonder where you get your facts? I read them and they didn't seem right. Is it from a vegan propaganda web site or something?

You can also look these up with the USDA to find similar results.

Raspberries are less than 1%.
0.8 grams in 100 grams
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...erry-nutrition

Spinach is half of that.
0.4 grams in 100 grams
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/foods/spinach

Big difference.

Old 08-20-2021, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
There are over 7 billion people on this planet and they all have unique fingerprints and DNA. Some people can thrive on certain type of diets. The low-fat component of the Okinawan diet is just one of many factors that help them live longer. The Sicilians in Italy who eat more fat than the Okinawans also live a long time. You are acting like a hammer looking for a nail that fits your bias, prejudice, upbringing, etc. This kind of thinking is how bad studies were conducted by biased people. They looked at people who died of heart diseases and screamed, "it's the saturated fat the caused the heart disease." But they ignored the junk food, sedentary lifestyle, and smoking that played a role. The Inuit people eat a very high-fat diet, yet they have very few incidents of heart diseases.

The Inuit Paradox - Arctic Journal

As for me, I am 56 and can still run, have near perfect vision in both eyes, and don't have to take any pill for any diseases. Can you say the same about yourself?
The only NON-essential macro nutrients are carbohydrates. For the organs that require glucose like the brain, the liver is able to make it if not provided by diet. That I would assume it's how it works with the Inuit although it's probably been a long time since most Inuits live only on whale and seal. Once they were introduced to the Western Diet, they began to have health problems. Kind of tells you something, not really "kind of" though, it's pretty obvious.

Old 08-20-2021, 03:24 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,499,506 times
yes,the traditional Inuit way of life is all fat and protein,they do eat some berries and seaweed when available.
But then tell it to the ricksaw drivers,they eat rice,rice and rice,same with runners,arent they served pasta before t hey start the marathon?

Old 08-22-2021, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
yes,the traditional Inuit way of life is all fat and protein,they do eat some berries and seaweed when available.
But then tell it to the ricksaw drivers,they eat rice,rice and rice,same with runners,arent they served pasta before t hey start the marathon?
That's just it. Two different fuel sources, fat or sugar.

Either one can cause health problems, it depends on what else you eat and your lifestyle along with genetics.

For example, eating fat AND sugar combined is way worse than either one by itself. Couple that with a sedentary lifestyle and you will have problems. This is more true if the sugar or carbs you eat of the refined type. Runners will burn the pasta they eat, that's a given. An even more extreme example are some of the Kenyan marathon runners who are known to eat pure sugar right before a race and these guys are lean as can be.

Old 08-22-2021, 06:59 PM

In some parts of the world,fat is welcome,as you dont get to eat on a regularly basis and eat well.
In Siberia,parents will slap a thick piece of lard between 2 slices of bread and send their kids to school.
The word 'diet' does not exist in many cultures!

Old 08-22-2021, 08:21 PM

13,080 posts, read 7,537,409 times
Hey, mojo101,

Somewhere around March, I started eating ~3 inches of boiled daikon radish, ~3 inches of eggplant, ~half of bittermelon, 1 cucumber. 2 of the 4 every day.
About May, BGL drops 20 points to 105-120 fasting AM and has stayed consistently down. Lower highs after meal readings too.
Also added EZETIMBE 10mg and Metoprolol 25mg.
Much reduced hot flashes and are low intensity.
Something happen. No sure what.

I never saw any weight loss when I started MF some +10 years ago. Now age 71.

Last edited by leastprime; 08-22-2021 at 08:33 PM..

Old 08-23-2021, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
Hey, mojo101,

Somewhere around March, I started eating ~3 inches of boiled daikon radish, ~3 inches of eggplant, ~half of bittermelon, 1 cucumber. 2 of the 4 every day.
About May, BGL drops 20 points to 105-120 fasting AM and has stayed consistently down. Lower highs after meal readings too.
Also added EZETIMBE 10mg and Metoprolol 25mg.
Much reduced hot flashes and are low intensity.
Something happen. No sure what.

I never saw any weight loss when I started MF some +10 years ago. Now age 71.
good for you,does the daikon make you go to the bathroom more?
Japanese women in the old days will place 2 slices of Daikon under their armpit as deordorant !
do you exercise besides eating ?

Old 08-24-2021, 06:31 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,592,374 times
Well, this thread (in the "diabetes" forum) about "metformin and weight loss" sure went off the rails.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes