Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2021, 03:20 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times

Advertisements

Several months ago I moved to a new Dr and hit it off with her PA right away and she did a great job motivating me. I changed my lifestyle to where I eat better (most of the time) and exercise more. I have some issues with my legs/feet so the exercise is not strenuous but it is more than I have done in some time. But I was put back on Metformin by this PA and she was shocked a previous Dr took me off it 5 years ago. She said this was a very safe drug and asked me to try it. She did explain it can help with a slight lowering of my A1C (9.3 then) if I did nothing else and could help with weight loss. Well I've lost 36 lbs and my A1C is down to 6.1. Another 30 lbs and I'll be at my age 21 weight. (60's now). So is Metformin really a big factor in my weight loss or is this over-hyped? No doubt my eating is a factor but is this RX making it that much easier?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2021, 06:28 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,464,793 times
some use it to lose weight as it curbs your appetite.
are you eating less now?

Old 07-08-2021, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
some use it to lose weight as it curbs your appetite.
are you eating less now?

I am but not because of Metformin. I just made a conscious effort to start doing better and stuck with it. But the PA at the office said Metformin is contributing to the weight loss.

Old 07-08-2021, 11:44 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,974,750 times
Metformin isn't a weight loss drug. Your changes in diet are what have caused you to lose weight.

I didn't need to lose weight, but I lost 6 pounds when I first started metformin, and it was from lack of appetite as a side effect of the drug. Once my body got used to the metformin and the loss of appetite disappeared, I gained the 6 pounds back.

Old 07-09-2021, 03:11 AM

I've been reading more on this and experts do seem to disagree but there are plenty who feel it is a weight loss drug. Not sure who is right or wrong or if it can even be proved one way or the other.

Old 07-09-2021, 07:19 AM

7,238 posts, read 5,114,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
I've been reading more on this and experts do seem to disagree but there are plenty who feel it is a weight loss drug. Not sure who is right or wrong or if it can even be proved one way or the other.
Several studies show that diabetics who take metformin lose 10-15 lb more than diabetics given the placebo in tests....Metformin does several things to help diabeitics, including improving their sensitivity to insulin, and insulin's main purpose is to regulate fat metabolism....It also affects GI motility (most pts feel a little nauseous &/or bloated when first taking it, so maybe it affects appetite too.

To be considered a "wt loss drug," it would have to be shown that metformin also helps non-diabetics to lose weight...I'd gues it won't because non-diabetics don;t have any problem with their insulin sensitivity.

Old 07-09-2021, 12:54 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
My doctor put me on it last fall, and discussed my diet to lower my A1C. Yes, I have lost 12 pounds since then, but I would consider the main reason to be no more sugar in coffee, only sugar free soda, no ice cream/cake/pastries, less pasta/potatoes/rice, and checking the label on bread and most everything else to buy things with less sugar and less carbs. I suspect that taking Metformin without a change in diet would still reduce the A1C and the weight but not nearly as much.

Old 07-11-2021, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien2002 View Post
I am using Keto cookbook for my diet. I think it is really helpful and u should follow it. I lost about 3kg after I had used it
this is keto book, you should check it: https://bit.ly/3hwRXd7
Seriously? One post and it is this? I've read enough on the Keto diet that it is not happening. Just an excerpt from a Mayo article.

Mayo's verdict: While the ketogenic diet may be recommended for some people with uncontrolled epilepsy, the high fat content — and especially the high level of unhealthy saturated fat — combined with limits on nutrient-rich fruits, veggies and grains is a concern for long-term heart health.

Old 07-11-2021, 04:05 AM

2,910 posts, read 1,357,996 times
Quote:
The use of metformin reduces body weight in persons with type 2 diabetes mellitus in contrast to sulfonylureas, which are associated with weight gain. Some evidence shows that metformin is associated with weight loss in obesity in the absence of diabetes.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metformin

My PA agrees.

Old 07-11-2021, 09:23 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,412,706 times
I went on metformin a year and a half ago and it made no difference in my weight. In fact, I felt no difference with anything when I went on it. No change in appetite, no stomach issues. My A1C went from 6.3 to 6.1 after being on it for 6 months, but that's it. One difference may be that my weight was already at a good level when I went on it. My major weight loss had occurred years earlier when I was first diagnosed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes