Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 01:31 AM

1 posts, read 5,483 times

Advertisements

This is what happened to a friend of mine. He got some blood work done for another reason and was surprised to find out that he had pre diabetes. Actually, the first doctor he went to didn't even realize it. Anyway, he started dieting and exercising according to this useful website:

www.diabetespreventiondiet.com

He was able to lower his blood sugar enough to be considered normal. I got scared and I got my blood sugar checked last week. I was really close too. Now I'm doing this diet to see what happens. Get checked if you are over 40! Millions of Americans don't even know they have it.

Last edited by Jordan65; 08-28-2008 at 01:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 07:07 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,849,529 times
Default So true!

It is absolutely true that there are millions of people with pre-diabetes and with diabetes that no idea they are in that danger. Many do not even consider it a big risk. It is the 4rd or 5th killer disease and unless you have a physical or genetic reason, it is the easiest to prevent. If you do have it, it can be controlled in most cases, with diet and exercise. If it is severe, you may need drugs to help control it. But the most important thing you can do is make the decision to do what is needed.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:31 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,612,339 times
Nothing surprising about this thread as 1/3 of all Americans are prediabetic and growing.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:07 AM

633 posts, read 1,949,660 times
Default Lower BS Levels by Drinking Organic Apple Cider Vinegar

Organic apple cider vinegar has many health benefits, one has been noted to lower the blood sugar levels in diabetics.

You mix it with water, the mix can be as low as 2 -3 tbs up to 2 - 4 oz in water.

I cant hurt you, unless you drink it straight it is to acidic. ACV will metabolize as a basic ( alkaline ) lowing the body PH.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:56 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,253,321 times
Funny freak out...Did a finger prick with my dad when he did his...

Well my sugar was 120...so he starts freaking out about it.
I let him rant on for a few minutes..and when he stopped...

"dad..i just ate a glazed doughnut"

"oh"

lol

Old 08-28-2008, 02:13 PM

9,523 posts, read 16,505,688 times
I have been dealing with Diabetes since I was 24, I am now 58. I actually dealth with earlier since my chances of developing it were very high, both my parents and grandmother were Diabetics. When I was told at age 24 I was diabetic, I was not surprised, I knew I had done everything and more to prevent it. I knew I had kept it at bay somewhat or I would have had it in my teens. Luckingly I have been able to keep it controlled but its a daily battle, I just got use to it, thankfully. I think the number that is used to confirm Diabetes has been lowered thru the years. I think when I was told it was 140 and now is 120 or in that area anyway. If one does what is needed to control their glucose levels they can help avoid the onset of Diabetes. If one has the genectics and hereditary factors in their family for developing the disease, it gets more complicated. However even with that, with a proper lifestyle and diet one can keep their diabetes at a level where they can have a full life. One thing is for sure if anyone has been told they are pre diabetic and they do little to help themselves. Well all I can say is Diabetes doesn't allow for that, it creeps up on you and it will take over your life, and there is no cure for it at this time. So you can't sit around and let it, you have to exercise and exercise. You have to watch the carbs as well as the sugar, and you have to test yourself so you know where you are at with this disease. You have to have and I can't stress enough a doctor that you are comfortable with, one that can keep track of where you are with this situation. I found one of the most difficult things with Diabetes was not so much what I had to do to deal with it. I mean all the medical end of the disease, that actually got easy for me, I found the most difficult part was when I have to be around people that do not take care of themselves. People that eat nothing but crap, are overweight. People that would not walk 10 feet if they did not have to. Yet they don't have diabetes and brag about it. Im sorry but I tire of them fast, but none of them know it, as far as I know that is. So take care of your Health and if Diabetes strikes. Just do what you have to do and Diabetes can be quite manageable.

Old 08-28-2008, 02:56 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,253,321 times
I read in Men's Health (i think it was)
A story about someone that got rid of thier pre-diabetic condition with just eating and exercise. He was already thin and workout somewhat.
But just eating more often, being regularly active and NOT having so many "dude foods" fixed him right up.
I thought that was pretty neat.
And rather interesting because he wasnt fat and didnt smoke.

Old 08-28-2008, 06:20 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,571,328 times
I was diagnosed as a diabetic a few years ago. Total surprise to me. So much so, that I told no one and was in a state of denial for a few months. No family member is/was a diabetic. My weight had been a problem for a few years at one time. My sleep patterns were extremely erratic for a few years. Additional testing showed that my sleep patterns could have contributed to my being a diabetic.

I now take meds for this condition. I agree with the OP. Get tested as soon as possible and do not ignore any symptoms. Good luck to all.

Old 08-28-2008, 06:47 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,222,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new jersey mike View Post
Organic apple cider vinegar has many health benefits, one has been noted to lower the blood sugar levels in diabetics.

You mix it with water, the mix can be as low as 2 -3 tbs up to 2 - 4 oz in water.

I cant hurt you, unless you drink it straight it is to acidic. ACV will metabolize as a basic ( alkaline ) lowing the body PH.

This has been beaten to death in other threads, but again, it is NOT possible to lower the "body' pH. The body WILL MAINTAIN a constant pH no matter what you eat or drink....

Old 08-28-2008, 07:35 PM

9,523 posts, read 16,505,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
I read in Men's Health (i think it was)
A story about someone that got rid of thier pre-diabetic condition with just eating and exercise. He was already thin and workout somewhat.
But just eating more often, being regularly active and NOT having so many "dude foods" fixed him right up.
I thought that was pretty neat.
And rather interesting because he wasnt fat and didnt smoke.
It depends what type of diabetic one is and what age they developed it. The person you mention I imagine is a Type II and not insulin dependent, so he can manage it for some time with diet and exercise. Someone that is a Type I has no choice they are insulin dependent. Reason being there pancreas is either making little or no insulin. People that develop the disease as children or young adults are generally a Type 1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes