Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 10:44 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,516,854 times

Advertisements

I found out when I was in the hospital that I had high blood sugar. Since I came home, I spent money on a blood sugar meter. My blood sugar is always high. Waking in the morning is highest for some reason.

I eat no carbohydrates but vegetables. No bread, no pasta, no rice, no potatoes, no crackers, no pizza, no sandwiches, no cereals.
I eat chicken, fish, and eggs and nuts. I eat lettuces, green vegetables, tomatoes, green beans.
No dairy, I am allergic to milk, cheese, and yogurt.

I am getting tired of eating a piece of meat and vegetables.
My blood sugar is not going down, and I have blurred vision and numbness in my hands and feet.
I am going to eliminate the vegetables, as they must be the culprits, as they are the only carbohydrates I am eating. Someone told me tomatoes and onions could be spiking my blood sugar as they have some sugar in them.

I had been on state aid because I had no insurance when I was in the hospital, but I am taking a job and am told I am losing the state health insurance.
They do not base it on whether your employer provides insurance or not. They base it on income.
I cannot afford to buy insurance on my own though, so I cannot see a doctor, but I doubt a doctor can help me with this. If they are going to tell me to diet and exercise, I am not going to pay $100 to see one out of pocket. If they are going to tell me not to eat carbohydrates, I am already near that point.

Years and years ago, a doctor told me my insulin was really high. He just said to watch what I ate and to exercise.
He said I had insulin resistance.

I am doing everything I should be doing, cutting my food back more and more, and I am going to eliminate all carbohydrates...the evil carbs!
My blood sugar is more and more out of control, and I wonder how people control it.
If anyone has any ideas, please write here.
I would appreciate the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 05:58 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,631,075 times
A couple of ideas. For starters do you supplement? If not look at getting these 3 as they are great at helping you Insulin Receptors and the Cells Mitochondria's burn Glucose and they are Magnesium Citrate, B-Complex and Chromium.

Secondly do you consume Caffeine as that can cause the Pancreas to overload on producing Insulin so no Coffee or Tea unless decaf. Thirdly what is your exercise routine?? As 30 minutes 5 days a week of aerobic i.e. Jogging, Biking, Kick Boxing and Swimming as some examples and as a bonus try to lift weights 3 times a week as these will help restore those Receptors.

Lastly if all else fails then i'd go low carb with lean proteins (Grass fed beef and Salmon) and high amounts of healthy fats like Olive oil, Flax oils and Walnuts and Almonds as these will help you burn Fat Ketones instead of Glucose for energy as that will restore your Insulin Receptors.

Old 10-07-2008, 11:25 AM

434 posts, read 934,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6/3 View Post
A couple of ideas. For starters do you supplement? If not look at getting these 3 as they are great at helping you Insulin Receptors and the Cells Mitochondria's burn Glucose and they are Magnesium Citrate, B-Complex and Chromium.

Secondly do you consume Caffeine as that can cause the Pancreas to overload on producing Insulin so no Coffee or Tea unless decaf. Thirdly what is your exercise routine?? As 30 minutes 5 days a week of aerobic i.e. Jogging, Biking, Kick Boxing and Swimming as some examples and as a bonus try to lift weights 3 times a week as these will help restore those Receptors.

Lastly if all else fails then i'd go low carb with lean proteins (Grass fed beef and Salmon) and high amounts of healthy fats like Olive oil, Flax oils and Walnuts and Almonds as these will help you burn Fat Ketones instead of Glucose for energy as that will restore your Insulin Receptors.
I have been suffering glycemia.

It is not fun

Thanks for sharing your knowledge

I will be happy to try.

Old 10-07-2008, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinglebell View Post
I have been suffering glycemia.

It is not fun

Thanks for sharing your knowledge

I will be happy to try.
Possibly too many carbs Jinglebell?

Old 10-07-2008, 03:14 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,269,659 times
Have you done the exercise part?
Are you overweight?
Do you count your calories?

Any type of food will give you excess sugar if you eat too much of it.
The "bad" dietary choices for diabetics are bad because it spikes your sugar.
Avoiding them wont avoid high blood sugar if you overeat anyway.

Old 10-07-2008, 03:54 PM

434 posts, read 934,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6/3 View Post
Possibly too many carbs Jinglebell?
Thanks for accepting my friendship invite

The funny thing is that sugar brings me up more than takes me down

Therefore, I have to eat every 2-3hours

I weigh 110-115lbs, 5'4" tall, very athletic

But I have to eat candy bar before I can play tennis

Everybody say no no

Somehow, my body need candy bar

Old 10-07-2008, 04:29 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,663,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
I found out when I was in the hospital that I had high blood sugar. Since I came home, I spent money on a blood sugar meter. My blood sugar is always high. Waking in the morning is highest for some reason.

I eat no carbohydrates but vegetables. No bread, no pasta, no rice, no potatoes, no crackers, no pizza, no sandwiches, no cereals.
I eat chicken, fish, and eggs and nuts. I eat lettuces, green vegetables, tomatoes, green beans.

My blood sugar is not going down, and I have blurred vision and numbness in my hands and feet.
I am going to eliminate the vegetables, as they must be the culprits, as they are the only carbohydrates I am eating. Someone told me tomatoes and onions could be spiking my blood sugar as they have some sugar in them.

I had been on state aid because I had no insurance when I was in the hospital, but I am taking a job and am told I am losing the state health insurance.
They do not base it on whether your employer provides insurance or not. They base it on income.
I cannot afford to buy insurance on my own though, so I cannot see a doctor, but I doubt a doctor can help me with this. If they are going to tell me to diet and exercise, I am not going to pay $100 to see one out of pocket. If they are going to tell me not to eat carbohydrates, I am already near that point.

Years and years ago, a doctor told me my insulin was really high. He just said to watch what I ate and to exercise.

I am doing everything I should be doing, cutting my food back more and more, and I am going to eliminate all carbohydrates...the evil carbs!
My blood sugar is more and more out of control, and I wonder how people control it.
Jinglebell - you need to find a doctor right away! You sound diabetic, not sure type 1 or 2, but you need to get a doctor right away. There are free/reduced price clinics that are not the real answer, but will help you get the attention you need. If you need help PM me and we can work on this.

Old 10-07-2008, 04:33 PM

746 posts, read 3,500,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post

The vegetables you eat have very few carbs.
Yes, you have insulin resistance, and you need to see an endocrinologist or doctor with expertise in diabetes. You are currently destroying your body and will soon lose your sight, your legs and end up on dialysis with a short life expectancy.

The doctor will likely prescribe sulfonylurea or similar for the problem, and you if that doesn't solve the problem, you may have to start insulin. If you can not afford a doctor or medications, there are programs to cover the expenses which your local community health center should be able to help you arrange.

You need medical help asap as continuing to have high blood sugars (you did not say what they are) will do more an more irreversible damage over time.

Also, visit this forum run by the American Diabetes Association:

Adults Type 2 (http://community.diabetes.org/n/pfx/forum.aspx?nav=messages&webtag=adatype2 - broken link)

Old 10-07-2008, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinglebell View Post
Thanks for accepting my friendship invite

The funny thing is that sugar brings me up more than takes me down

Therefore, I have to eat every 2-3hours

I weigh 110-115lbs, 5'4" tall, very athletic

But I have to eat candy bar before I can play tennis

Everybody say no no

Somehow, my body need candy bar
Thanks Jinglebell for the friendship invite as that was nice of you.

Im guessing you need to eat every few hours or you feel weak??
That sounds more of Hypoglycemia than Glycemia as your over producing Insulin and driving down your blood sugar levels to low.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:11 PM

1,869 posts, read 4,024,311 times
food enzymes, found either at health food store or possibly vitamin section of grocery store, may help. Enzymes are needed to digest food, pancreas makes many enzymes. If food is not fully digested in the body, not only is it toxic but blood sugar (undigested sugars) could rise. something to look into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes