Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 09:23 PM

2,216 posts, read 4,540,445 times

Advertisements

Went to the dr today and my blood sugar was 498. I eat ALOT of fruit and have lost 35 lbs since February. I thought the weight loss was due to healthier eating but now I'm reading that rapid weight loss can be a symptom of diabetes.

The dr said they had two choices...admit me to the hospital OR up my meds from just 500 mg of metformin to this: 1000 mg metformin twice a day and Lantus at night.

Tonight will be my first night to take it and I'm worried about it dropping too low to fast...maybe I'm just paranoid but I keep reading how many on Lantus do have hypo readings in the morning. any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 11:07 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
I take Lantus and you are correct, low readings in the morning. But you can get buy. Here's what I did.

As a diabetic, it is best to eat more meals, but less food. So I eat breakfast at 6am, I have a snack of some kind of fruit at 10am. I eat lunch at 12, I have a snakc at 2pm. Usually a half of a sandwich with meat on it. I have supper at 5:30pm. I am supposed to have a snack at 8, half of a meat sandwich and some yogurt or pudding. I measure my blood sugar before breakfast, before lunch, before supper and at 8pm.

My readings before breakfast were 60-70 range. I simply moved my 8pm snack to 10:30. It worked. This morning my blood sugar reading was 107. Yesterday it was 99. Day before yesterday it was 101.

Lantus is a long term insulin. It lasts for 24 hours. When you first start on it, it doesn't work right away. It takes 3 or 4 days to build up in your system and then your readings will stabilize.

498 is very high. I have had doctors tell me what high blood sugar readings actually mean to your system and every time it made no sense to me because it is very difficult to explain. My new doctor explained it the best. He said, a low reading, like 50, harms your system almost like a stroke. It takes away body functions because your system shuts down non vital organs to protect itself. Not good. High readings are as if you had razor blades running through your veins or broken glass. It makes your entire system weak and things can fail. Eyesight, leg functions, loss of feeling in your extremities. He also explained a single low reading or a single high reading is a concern, but nothing to panic about. Continuous low or high readings is what is the killer.

But, you still have to listen to your system and it's a give and take thing. For instance, today was over 100 degrees and I was working outside. About 4pm I started getting weak and shakey. I checked my blood sugar and it was 160. So it wasn't low blood sugar causing the problem. It was the fact that I was sweating all day and I had lost electrolites. Any type of drink (and I needed something to drink, bad) that replenishes electrolites is full of carbs and will cause your blood sugar to rise. Things like Gatoraide, Power Aide, etc... is going to kick your Blood Sugar up. But you need the fluid and you need the elctrolites so I drank a 16oz bottle of something that is supposed to replenish electrolites. Sure enough, before supper my Blood Sugar was 226, but I felt a lot better and my system was stabilizing. I took my Novolog insulin as per my chart and then had a good supper. At 8pm I checked my Blood Sugar and it was 156. So it was headed down. Right now, I feel great. I had a half of a sandwich at 10:30pm. But the point is, there are times that you'll have to throw caution to the wind and listen to your body. That's fine, just don't over do it. I really wanted about 2 more of those drinks, but instead after the one drink, water followed and it did the trick.

Old 07-11-2012, 10:36 AM

Thanks for the info. Very helpful as I'm learning as I go. BS was 297 when I woke this morning. High, but coming down from 498 obviously.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:42 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatotex97 View Post
Thanks for the info. Very helpful as I'm learning as I go. BS was 297 when I woke this morning. High, but coming down from 498 obviously.
Like I said, it takes a few days of Lantus to really level out. Keep us posted. Mine was 98 this morning.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:49 AM

still in the same range today but I know it's probably too soon. Very nauseated however and I'm guessing that's from the increase in metformin.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:56 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,794,697 times
Probably too much fruit and you should cut back or switch to the lowest glycemic ones. I know diabetics that have to avoid fruit and there are ones that you wouldn't expect to be very high GI, like watermelon.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:11 AM

Yeah, I have cut back on the fruit. I've only had one apple in a couple of days. For me that is huge.

I did just cave and have some bread with a little peanut butter. Was so nauseated but this was the only thing I felt I could "stomach". Feeling a little stronger since I ate it.

Old 07-12-2012, 02:12 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,347,630 times
With blood sugars that you have been reporting you should be cutting waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down on any fruit. Bread is another bad food to have as well, There are plenty of low carb wraps if you need a bread type of fix. You really need to read as much as you can about the disease.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:48 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,589,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatotex97 View Post
Went to the dr today and my blood sugar was 498. I eat ALOT of fruit and have lost 35 lbs since February. I thought the weight loss was due to healthier eating but now I'm reading that rapid weight loss can be a symptom of diabetes.

The dr said they had two choices...admit me to the hospital OR up my meds from just 500 mg of metformin to this: 1000 mg metformin twice a day and Lantus at night.

Tonight will be my first night to take it and I'm worried about it dropping too low to fast...maybe I'm just paranoid but I keep reading how many on Lantus do have hypo readings in the morning. any advice?

So you are a diabetic and eating lots of fruit??? Kinda par for the course in my book.

Old 07-13-2012, 04:17 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Just a hint,, if you are taking Lantus at night you might want to keep a few sugar cubes within arms reach just in case you go hypoglycemic during the night.

I personally take an 80 unit shot of Lantus every morning and a 20 unit dose of Humalog before every meal and a morning and night 850mg tablet of Metformin and a once daily Januvia tablet,
And with all that my Blood sugar readings are still double what they should be thanks to my addiction to eating too much, if you want to make an impact on your diabetic numbers its all about the types and quantities of food you eat. Sounds like you are on the right track keep it up..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes