Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 09:29 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,222,031 times

Advertisements

How is your diet otherwise? Are you balancing all of what you need and not just the fruit/sugars? You need a specified amount of each food group daily within a specific calorie range to stay stable. Do you know what your key foods are? Those would be the ones that raise your blood sugar from just walking past them in the grocery store. What is your key food/foods to keep your levels stable even if you have too many carbs at one meal? Do you know how much protein to carbs in ounces you have to eat at each meal to keep your numbers stable? My husband is diabetic as well and he takes Januvia 100mg daily, his key food to raise his numbers is potatoes, any sort of potatoe no matter what form it comes in. His key food to keep him stable is Chicken no matter how it is cooked. When he does want potatoes I have to make sure he gets at least double the protein in ounces that he is having in the potatoe, so if he has 4 ounces of potato he HAS to have a minimum of 8 ounces of a protein and chicken is preferred to beef, pork or turkey since they do not have the same affect as the chicken does when it comes to carbs/starch. Another key food for him is green beans which he loves and asparagus. Apples for him is good, orange juice is limited unless it is pineapple/orange, it does not affect his numbers as much as straight orange juice. If you are interested I have a good pamphlet for your foods that is free for whomever wants it. It is published by NovoNordisk and I carry it with me all the time for reference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2012, 09:36 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,352,792 times
Yes, once your blood sugar are lower and stabilize, your vision will improve. Blood vessels in your eye are very fragile, high blood sugar affects them, and can cause bleeding, which can be stopped by an ophthalmologist doing laser treatment on your eyes, the disease is diabetic retinopathy. If you ever see a red film, or haze in your eye, go see an ophthalmologist immediately. You should have regualr eye exams, witha retinal scan to screen for diabetic retinopathy.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:02 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,397,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
How is your diet otherwise? Are you balancing all of what you need and not just the fruit/sugars? You need a specified amount of each food group daily within a specific calorie range to stay stable. Do you know what your key foods are? Those would be the ones that raise your blood sugar from just walking past them in the grocery store. What is your key food/foods to keep your levels stable even if you have too many carbs at one meal? Do you know how much protein to carbs in ounces you have to eat at each meal to keep your numbers stable? My husband is diabetic as well and he takes Januvia 100mg daily, his key food to raise his numbers is potatoes, any sort of potatoe no matter what form it comes in. His key food to keep him stable is Chicken no matter how it is cooked. When he does want potatoes I have to make sure he gets at least double the protein in ounces that he is having in the potatoe, so if he has 4 ounces of potato he HAS to have a minimum of 8 ounces of a protein and chicken is preferred to beef, pork or turkey since they do not have the same affect as the chicken does when it comes to carbs/starch. Another key food for him is green beans which he loves and asparagus. Apples for him is good, orange juice is limited unless it is pineapple/orange, it does not affect his numbers as much as straight orange juice. If you are interested I have a good pamphlet for your foods that is free for whomever wants it. It is published by NovoNordisk and I carry it with me all the time for reference.

Thanks for all the helpful information!

I am new at this, so low on the learning curve.Right now my doctor just said to test 2x day, but I've been testing 8-10 x day---I just bought extra strips. I don't intend to test that much all the time, but right now I want to see what's going on.

I have noticed white potatoes really made me jittery---and raise my BG way high! However, I can eat sweet potatoes, just make sure to balance it with some fat, protein, etc. I also loike chicken, so thanks for the tip! Apples make me hungry, to the point of the shakes. I would love a copy of the pamplet! Is it available online? I see my doc next Tuesday, hopefully things will get better!

Old 09-06-2012, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Yes, once your blood sugar are lower and stabilize, your vision will improve. Blood vessels in your eye are very fragile, high blood sugar affects them, and can cause bleeding, which can be stopped by an ophthalmologist doing laser treatment on your eyes, the disease is diabetic retinopathy. If you ever see a red film, or haze in your eye, go see an ophthalmologist immediately. You should have regualr eye exams, witha retinal scan to screen for diabetic retinopathy.

Thanks!

I've noticed my vision is more blurred as the day goes on. Yesterday afternoon, I needed a magnyfing glass to read my RX numbers. Today, early morning, I could read them fine. I've only been on my new medicine 3 days, but also been regulating diet, perhaps that's it? Also, my mouth isn't so dry. I mean, it was so dry, I once had to pry my tongue from the roof of my mouth with my fingers! Well, the mouth dryness made me drink lots of water, that probably helped a lot!

Old 09-06-2012, 04:27 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,352,792 times
If you get your medication from Wal-Mart, they have a device, called a "Scriptalk" that can read the pill bottles, you have to request this item. Special labels, with a radio tag, are coded, so people who have vision problems, won't mix up their meds.

But, yes, blood sugar definitely can affect your vision.

Old 09-06-2012, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
If you get your medication from Wal-Mart, they have a device, called a "Scriptalk" that can read the pill bottles, you have to request this item. Special labels, with a radio tag, are coded, so people who have vision problems, won't mix up their meds.

But, yes, blood sugar definitely can affect your vision.

I can read ok with my glasses, but this is good to know---and hopefully never to need!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes