Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 06:45 AM

2,216 posts, read 4,539,934 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the sugar cube tip jambo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 01:29 PM

2,216 posts, read 4,539,934 times
blood sugar today....135. much better than the 498 a week ago.

Old 07-19-2012, 03:06 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,811,151 times
Yay! Good work.

Old 07-21-2012, 11:31 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,048,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatotex97 View Post
blood sugar today....135. much better than the 498 a week ago.
See I what I meant about it taking time? It did on me too. Good job, 135 is a lot better.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:28 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,397,515 times
I could NOT take metaformin, I kept throwing up. Its NOT just nausea. I read metaformin reduces stomach acids and secretions, essentially, the stomach dries up. I was also taking prevacid, which also reduces stomach secretions. the combination just shut my stomach down. I felt like something was rotten in my stomach, then a lot of gas, then, nausea.I kept telling my endocrinologist, she just snipped well, take the metaformin with food! How 'bout a Big Mac and large coke?

You'd think doctors would know more WTH they're doing, but, like anything else, you must educate yourself!

Old 09-04-2012, 09:37 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,352,792 times
Don't forget, high blood sugar can affect your near vision. A nasty side effect. As others said, lay low on the fruit. If you feel shaky, drink a glass of milk. The highs and lows of taking immediate sugar can crash you into feeling worse. The goal is staying within a range.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:17 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,746,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
I could NOT take metaformin, I kept throwing up. Its NOT just nausea. I read metaformin reduces stomach acids and secretions, essentially, the stomach dries up. I was also taking prevacid, which also reduces stomach secretions. the combination just shut my stomach down. I felt like something was rotten in my stomach, then a lot of gas, then, nausea.I kept telling my endocrinologist, she just snipped well, take the metaformin with food! How 'bout a Big Mac and large coke?

You'd think doctors would know more WTH they're doing, but, like anything else, you must educate yourself!
Have you tried taking Metformin without prevacid?

Old 09-05-2012, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
Have you tried taking Metformin without prevacid?

Yes, I did, and got the same reaction, albeit a lesser degree. I still could not tolerate it. After a few days of just metaformin, I got that "something rotten in my stomach" feeling, that would last about a day, then up would come just about everything solid I had eaten for the past few days.

Thanks for the suggestion, but t just didn't work for me.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Don't forget, high blood sugar can affect your near vision. A nasty side effect. As others said, lay low on the fruit. If you feel shaky, drink a glass of milk. The highs and lows of taking immediate sugar can crash you into feeling worse. The goal is staying within a range.

Does the vision get better with reduction in BS?

Old 09-05-2012, 09:20 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,913,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post

This is priceless info to me, since I've been dealing with some sort of oddball and very uncomfortable stomach upset for the past 1.5 yrs, and I've been diabetic for about 3 yrs (it started at the age of 62, and I've been on steroids for about 8 yrs for aggressive arthritis, and some loon doctor actually had me on oral Decadron!

Use of that particular steroid is like using a 12 g shotgun to kill a flea. It's only used in extreme trauma events, organ transplants or in other such cases, and short-term emergency applications, but this country yokel doctor in Indiana said to take 25 mg a week every week. From then on.

About 18 years later, when nothing was fitting my growing and worsening syndromes, the guys at the Mayo said "You've been taking WHAT, for HOW LONG?". My blood glucose has been quite variable, though it doesn't go too high (my highest ever has been about 240, and the lowest was the other night when I woke up in a real cold-sweat feeling, and not at all well, and my BS was 50! [I'd inadvertently taken an additional extra 20 unit dose of Novalog! Ooopppsss!!!]

So this digestive problem started about 2 yrs ago with very nasty "burps", almost fecal in their odor but more like rotting food. It then progresses into my intestines and eventually passes through, so to speak, but not without a lot of distress. No-one as of yet has diagnosed it. But your info about Metformin is very interesting. I've decided, absent any good diagnosis from my doctors, that my stomach has changed, and it's no longer digesting food properly. I seem to be suffering from some lack of proper nutrition as well.

I'll certainly note and mention this one with my doctor and see if he knows about it. Thanks again Marylee!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes