Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 11:15 PM

1 posts, read 2,339 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am new one of this forum, And happy to here for discuss my questions..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 06:03 AM

40 posts, read 62,170 times
It depends on the type of diabetes, type 1 or type 2.

1. for the type 1 diabetes mellitus which is often started from childhood or teenager. Of course sweet food or candies should be controlled like ice cream in case of severe emergency complication like DKA (diabetic kitoacidosis) which can sometimes cause patient coma to be lethal. The most effective treatment is always insulin therapy (needles).

2. For the type 2 DM, the treatments are stepwise. First, life style modification like food intake control, exercise, weight loss, change the sedate for long time,etc. Second, OAMs or OADs treatment , i.e. oral antidiabetic drugs or medications; Third, Basal insulin once daily , the most classic insulin analog for basal is glargine; Fourth, premixed insulin twice daily is alternative when basal once daily fails. the most commons premixed insulin analog is like HM 25/75 (Humalog mixture 25/75, Eli Lilly and Company of US) and BIAsp 30/70 (Norvono Disk Company, Denmark) which can sometimes have better control of both HbA1c or PPG (postprandial glucose level) although it might have minor increase of some complications like weight gain, 1 more needle per day leading to poor patient's adherence to treating protocol and minor hypoglycemia episode during the night. Last, the most powerful classical insulin treatment is BBT (basal-bolus therapy, e.g. Lispro thrice daily plus glargine once daily, four needles per day). However, there are clinical trials which showed that basal plus or premixed trice daily can be a good alternative for traditional BBT, with advantage of at least 1 needle less per day compared to BBT.

The diabetes is not scarring. The most serious problems are the short-term (DKA, diabetic kitoacidosis) or long-term diabetic complications (end-organ injuries like stroke, acute coronary syndrome, kidney dysfunction or failure, cataract or blindness, peripheral nerve disease,etc).

It is better to consult your endocrinologist for treating regimen because for everyone the treating regimen should be individulized.

Good luck to you.

Maggie Jun Li saying hello from Shanghai China.

Old 12-31-2013, 06:17 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,369,632 times
It basically comes down to strict adherence to diet and exercise, You'd do well to speak to your doctor/endocrinologist on the issue then get referred to a dietician familiar with a diabetic regime.

Plenty of online options for daily meal plans catering to the diabetic.EG; one of many.
http://www.eatingwell.com/nutrition_...=diabetes&pD=1

I'd also cut back on carbs especially those that are derived from wheat

Old 12-31-2013, 10:12 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,369,632 times
You also might want to learn about Glycemic index and try to avoid foods high in this category.
Glycemic index and glycemic load for 100+ foods - Harvard Health Publications

Old 01-06-2014, 10:19 AM

12 posts, read 24,614 times
The single thing that has kept my blood sugar stable during the day is low-carb.

Exercise lowers it a little (not always enough)...other factors do too. But NOTHING is reliable the way low-carbing is. At least for me.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:47 AM

295 posts, read 833,606 times
Lowering carb intake worked for me too. Also, "eat to your meter", meaning test your blood sugar at one and two hours after a meal. At one hour your reading should be 140 or less and at two hours it should be 120 or less, ideally.

It's good to eat foods that don't really spike or move your blood sugar too much. When I started out, I kept to about 30 carbs per day and as my blood glucose became lower and more stable I added a few carbs back into my diet.

Not everyone needs to go very low carb. Your blood sugar readings will indicate what foods you need to eliminate from your diet and which are best for your own particular body. Everyone is different in the amount of carbs we can eat and not increase our blood glucose. The pancreas works differently in all of us and it depends on how much insulin your pancreas is putting out and how and if your body is using or recognizing that insulin. That's why it's such an individual thing.

Exercise and esp walking helps but look to adjust your diet first and foremost.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-10-2014, 04:34 PM

15,948 posts, read 12,311,156 times
my pre-diabetes is pretty mild but the way to keep the disease from progressing is to simply eat things that don't spike one's blood sugar above 140 mg/dl after one hour... for me this includes black beans and blue bunny no sugar added ice cream has very low glycemic index as well... I avoid obviously foods like pasta and pizza.

An added bonus to avoiding the empty carbs is that weight does not go on as easily as when eating low glycemic foods.

There is some evidence that my pre-diabetes might have reversed itself through my dietary changes... gonna get an a1c test from wally-world to check this.. I could be wrong.. just going by blood sugar testing after eating higher carb items and I find it's only 120 mg/dl and it leaves me scratching my head....

Old 01-10-2014, 04:36 PM

72 posts, read 99,936 times
A raw diet. Mostly fruits and veggies. Most people already know that .. they just don't do it.

Old 01-10-2014, 05:29 PM

40 posts, read 62,170 times
Sorry, here I add more information here.

As per the clinical trial on premixed insulin analogues (e.g. Humalog [Lispro] mixture 25/75, LM 50/50] versus basal insulin analogue [Glargine, Detemire, Insulin Lispro Protamine Suspension], for patients with T2DM {type 2 diabetes mellitus), if patient's baseline HbA1c level at the diagnosis is more than >8.5% [old ADA guideline] or >9.0% [Chinese Guideline to Treat T2DM] especially with long disease course, then premixed insulin once or twice daily is strongly recommended because it covers both prandial and basal (inter-meal and night) insulin requirements by human body. If patient's baseline HbA1c level is <8.5% or 9.0%, then basal insulin (long acting, ultra-long acting or medium-acting) once is advised to be applied to patients. The pros and cons for premixed insulin vs. basal is as below:

a. Compared to basal, premixed insulin has better effects on postprandial hyperglycemia control or postprandial glucose excursion (2 hours PPG excursion) and better HbA1c improvement especially when patients diabetes are poorly controlled with relatively longer disease course. However, because premixed insulin is often started with twice per day (pre-breakfast and pre-dinner) with the coverage on both prandial and basal components of insulin secretion, the daily treating dose is much larger than basal insulin once daily only. With better hyperglycemia control effect, the side effects are also arising including more weight gain, the increased episodes and incidences of minor hypoglycemia,etc. However, the nocturnal and major hypoglycemia is comparable with basal only plus OADs. The more interesting phenomenon is that patients' adherence or persistence to premixed treating regimen is better than basal only plus OADs although premixed insulin is one more needle per day compared to basal once only, which suggests that patient's adherence is far more motivated by better hyperglycemia control effect than the times of needles (S/C, subcutaenous injection).

b) Basal insulin is far more effective in the control of increase in fasting blood sugar than premixed.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 01-10-2014 at 08:04 PM..

Old 01-10-2014, 05:39 PM

102,235 posts, read 108,110,164 times
People: I just finished a 1-year course of 3x/daily doses of an herb from the Amazon, called "insulin leaf" (hoja de insulina). The natives there use it when their blood sugar shows indications of getting high. (How do they tell? It's when their urine attracts ants. ) They boil up this herb and drink a concentrated tea of it 3x/day. I know one herbalist who imports it dried, and you can boil it yourself, and I know another guy who imports it as a bottled tincture, made by an American herbalist living in Ecuador.

I did the tincture. My blood sugar level went from 100 when I started (borderline or pre-diabetes stage) to 92 on my recent test! Because of other chronic health issues, I wasn't able to exercise during the year, and did an inconsistent low-carb diet, that is, just on and off, sporadically. So it wasn't the low-carb that got the results, imo.

This stuff is cool! But the guys who import it still have some bugs to work out in terms of being able to get a steady supply in enough quantity to serve even just a few regular patients.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes