Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 01:04 PM

156 posts, read 441,220 times

Advertisements

My father has an upcoming doctors appointment where I know he'll either be diagnosed as pre-diabetic or will be told that he needs to keep an eye on his glucose and to change his diet. I saw his fasting blood results and the glucose was high (over the normal range).

Since I cook for him, I want to make sure he asks the doctor the right questions, so I thought I'd get some info here first.

Would it be better for my father to try to lower his glucose through diet by cutting out "white" foods (potatoes, crackers, pasta, etc.) or to cut back on sugar (in coffee and tea)? I would say he eats an average amount of white foods in that he eats the same thing my mom eats and she's ok. But he consumes a dreadful amount of sugar every day. I would say he consumes at least a 1/2 cup of sugar per day and up to 2 cups of sugar per day. It depends on his activity level.

He adds 1 cup of sugar to 3 quarts (96 oz.) of tea. I'm not sure how much sugar he puts in his coffee, but it's a lot. I've been warning him for well over a year about how I'm not going to cook special for him if he ends up with diabetes because of this.

I tried to be sneaky by making his tea myself and reducing the amount of sugar in it. I had it down to 3/4 cup, but he had caught on and ended up getting angry. It seems better (and easier) to just reduce the sugar in the tea and eat the same foods, then get tested again, later. I don't know why he's such a baby and can't just reduce the sugar in the tea. I cut way back on sugar, butter, and salt years ago due to GERD and while it sucks at first, you get used to it. Now, I can't stand sugary tea or lots of butter in my food.

I'd really like some opinions on what should be done here. Then we can talk to the doctor about it during the appointment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 01:09 PM

16,905 posts, read 16,138,779 times
I don't know what the heck "GERD" is but this post cannot be serious.
You cut the sugar, of course, for a start. Completely.

Old 10-28-2013, 04:23 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,851,628 times
Use Stevia for a start. It is seriously sweet, I can only use a 1/2 envelope for a cup of tea. Ask the doc for a referral to a diabetic educator - insurance normally pays for it - as they will advice the both of you on how he needs to eat. In short, carbohydrates are to be restricted. Learn to read labels.

Old 10-29-2013, 08:24 AM

139 posts, read 351,675 times
gerd= gastric esophageal reflux disease

Old 10-30-2013, 09:28 AM

1,787 posts, read 5,749,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mej1 View Post
Would it be better for my father to try to lower his glucose through diet by cutting out "white" foods (potatoes, crackers, pasta, etc.) or to cut back on sugar (in coffee and tea)? I would say he eats an average amount of white foods in that he eats the same thing my mom eats and she's ok. ......
Your father and mother may be eating the same things, but their bodies don't digest the foods the same. Your father needs to cut back or look for some alternatives for "white" foods, along with cutting back on sugar. "White" foods become sugar, too. (carbs become sugar) Would your father be open to speak to a nutritionist?

As SouthernBell suggested, use Stevia. Look for pure stevia with nothing else added.

Old 11-08-2013, 03:04 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,952,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mej1 View Post

I saw his fasting blood results and the glucose was high (over the normal range) ...
How high is "high"?

Do you know what his A1c number is?

Old 04-12-2014, 02:58 AM

47 posts, read 56,688 times
Drink more amount of water, liquids, lemon water, carbohydrate is also good for this conditions. It can be reduce our harmonic system.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:46 PM

22,665 posts, read 24,619,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndocter View Post
Drink more amount of water, liquids, lemon water, carbohydrate is also good for this conditions. It can be reduce our harmonic system.

THIS POST.....ummm, please help me!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-13-2014, 09:30 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,794,799 times
As a type 2 myself, I have had good results with the following:

more greens, fewer meats, burritos, hamburgers.
green drinks and blended fruit drinks from fresh fruits and vegetables (I love my vitamix!)
I eat a lot more salads and soups made of barely, lentils, split peas, vegetable broth, with some chopped up green veggies, and spiced the way I like it
better exercise. walking mostly
Nopal cactus, cinnamon and chromium picolinate

other stuff. good read is The Blood Sugar Solution by Dr Mark Hyman

My own blood sugar has dropped from 402 to 197 last checkup. I've lost 50 pounds. A1C dropped from 12 something to 7.9 All in the last 9 months

Now if I could just be rid of this blasted nerve pain and the related side effects

It is surprising how much can be done with just a few changes to diet and behaviour.

Best wishes to your Dad.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:31 AM

35 posts, read 56,504 times
It depends on what you eat.Change your eating habits.Vinegar helps to reduce your glucose level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes