Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2009, 10:34 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,841,201 times

Advertisements

One of my students (15yo boy) is diabetic and his mom is, unfortunately, rather uninvolved when it comes to meals. He often skips breakfast completely, and grabs a can of something to bring for lunch. (One day he had a 16 oz can of pineapple, and last week he had a similar-sized can of peas. <*sighs*>)

He tells me that his doctor says his insulin is WAY out of whack, and that he might actually be becoming insulin-resistent. Given the way he eats, I'm not surprised.

So, long story short, I want to get some food/snacks to keep in my classroom for him. I don't have a microwave or refrigerator, so stuff needs to be non-perishable, easy to eat, and palatable to a teenaged kid.

I already have a large jar of peanut butter and a big box of Ritzâ„¢ crackers that I keep for kids who don't have lunch money. Other suggestions I've received include things like nuts, Cheeriosâ„¢, apples, and protein bars (if they don't have too much sugar).

Any other ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 08:16 AM

5 posts, read 12,943 times
Glucerna makes meal bars and snack bars for diabetics. Glucerna - Products

Old 04-20-2009, 09:39 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,581,681 times
Does your school have free/reduced lunches? OR...Could you talk to the cafeteria manager, explain this boy's situatuion and see if they could fix him up?

I was a school cafeteria manager for 21 years and we always bent over backwards for kids like him. No one would miss a sandwich handed to him or a cup of fruit slipped out. Some parent have no business having kids!

Old 04-20-2009, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big joe p View Post
Glucerna makes meal bars and snack bars for diabetics. Glucerna - Products
Already got some of those -- thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura707 View Post
Does your school have free/reduced lunches? OR...Could you talk to the cafeteria manager, explain this boy's situatuion and see if they could fix him up?

I was a school cafeteria manager for 21 years and we always bent over backwards for kids like him. No one would miss a sandwich handed to him or a cup of fruit slipped out. Some parent have no business having kids!
I don't think it's a matter of money, more just insufficient involvement on mom's part. And if this were a rare occurrence I'm sure they'd be willing to help out, but it's pretty much daily.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:09 PM

2,178 posts, read 9,581,681 times
I bet if you told the cafeteria manger about this, she would be willing to at least give you peanutbutter and crackers for him, you may have to bring a container for the PB.. or a piece of fruit from time to time.. I have even encouraged kids to take food they didn't want and give to the ones who's parents were to lazy to pack them a lunch or fill out a free lunch form. Most were willing to do it..

Old 04-20-2009, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura707 View Post
I bet if you told the cafeteria manger about this, she would be willing to at least give you peanutbutter and crackers for him, you may have to bring a container for the PB.. or a piece of fruit from time to time.. I have even encouraged kids to take food they didn't want and give to the ones who's parents were to lazy to pack them a lunch or fill out a free lunch form. Most were willing to do it..
I already have "industrial-size" peanut butter and crackers in my room -- not just for this kid, but for some others who've sometimes been unable to buy lunch .....

Old 04-20-2009, 09:25 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,864,104 times
Have the school nurse give him some serious diabetes education. At his age, he needs to get his act together. You can't put the blame solely on the mother even though that can sometimes be the case. The real culprit is carbohydrates. He most definately needs to learn serving sizes, etc. A 16 oz can of pineapple or peas is not apprpriate for a diabetic. He needs to eat 3 balanced meals each day and take his insulin as directed. He also needs to exercise. I have been on this course for 52 years and counting carbs has been the best way to keep me healthy and feeling good. Once he gets his diabetes under control, he will feel no different than his peers. !5 was avery difficult time for me. I ended up in the hospital with high blood sugar. I promised myself that would never happened again and I have kept that promise. I had to take care of myself first so I could take care of my family down the road.

You are a wise teacher to be concerned. Educating yourself about diabetes could be the best help you can give him.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:16 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,496,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezeboxgal View Post
One of my students (15yo boy) is diabetic and his mom is, unfortunately, rather uninvolved when it comes to meals. He often skips breakfast completely, and grabs a can of something to bring for lunch. (One day he had a 16 oz can of pineapple, and last week he had a similar-sized can of peas. <*sighs*>)

He tells me that his doctor says his insulin is WAY out of whack, and that he might actually be becoming insulin-resistent. Given the way he eats, I'm not surprised.

So, long story short, I want to get some food/snacks to keep in my classroom for him. I don't have a microwave or refrigerator, so stuff needs to be non-perishable, easy to eat, and palatable to a teenaged kid.

I already have a large jar of peanut butter and a big box of Ritzâ„¢ crackers that I keep for kids who don't have lunch money. Other suggestions I've received include things like nuts, Cheeriosâ„¢, apples, and protein bars (if they don't have too much sugar).

Any other ideas?
Is strange what you are saying. It sounds like he has diabetes type 1, but then you said that he is becoming type 2 (insulin-resistant). You need to know which one is it. Because if it is type 1, he doesn't have any insulin and need regular injection of insulin, if he is not type 1 and he is type 2 that means he has insulin but the body is becoming resistant.
So if he has type 1, he doesn't have insulin so it cant be out of whack.
Usually diabetes in children or young adults are type 1, but because of obesity in children type 2 can be seen, but still rare.
You should ask his mother or him what type is he, if he doesn't know ask him if he need regular injections.
If he is type 1, he should avoid eating high carbohydrate food: Bread, rice, potato, pasta, but he cant avoid sugar, he actually need sugar also (but complex carbohydrate are better for him), hypoglycemia is very common, this happens when he injects to much insulin, is exercising, or eat very little carbohydrates.
So is not that easy, because what he needs depends on his blood sugar level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes