Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 06:50 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,618,997 times

Advertisements

He said why he knows my Kidneys are in good shape is from last test in May. I should get my test results back in a week and he has given me another pill called Lovastatin to take.

Thanks, John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 07:49 AM

I will going to another doctor in a week or could go to ER to make sure I don't have kidney problems because the smell is much stronger when I eat and my BG level is 180. The weird thing about this smell I never had it till I went on insulin. When I took pills during the day like 2000 mgs Metformin and one pill of Glyburide 5 mgs I never had a problem with this smell.

Thanks, John

Old 11-13-2009, 09:20 AM

1,057 posts, read 2,012,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
He said why he knows my Kidneys are in good shape is from last test in May. I should get my test results back in a week and he has given me another pill called Lovastatin to take.

Thanks, John
Your kidneys were in good shape back in May. That's part of the reason he's able to keep you on Metformin, if your kidneys were in bad shape, he would take you off of it.

Lovastatin in a statin drug similar to simvastatin or Lipitor. So he is being a bit more aggressive than I initially thought. Regardless, you need your labs checked every three months. HbgA1C checks your long-term glycemic control, BUN and creatinine look at kidney function, and you need liver function tests every three months at first while you're on the Lovastatin to be sure it's not harming your liver.

Did he give you any information about diet and exercise? A lot of doctors just assume that you know. You need to get some kind of exercise at least every day, even just 15 minutes of walking to start is better than nothing. Again, the ADA website is full of great information.

I don't think you need to go to the ER unless you're having other symptoms. Keep a close eye on your BG and don't hesitate to call his office if your glucose is not coming down with the new treatment regimen.

Old 11-13-2009, 09:59 AM

This doctor didn't give me any diet and exercise plan and all my other family doctors that had treated my diabetes in past never gave me a diet or exerise plan. Another thing is weird I don't eat anything and still have this strong smell sometimes.

Thanks, John

Old 11-13-2009, 02:58 PM

Well, here you're going to have to take the initiative and look at diet and exercise as your responsibility. American Diabetes Association Home Page - American Diabetes Association. It doesn't have to be complicated.

Make sure that you get a little lean protein with every meal : peanut butter, lean meat (turkey, chicken breast, low fat cheese), don't let your meals be all carbohydrates. Protein slows the absorption of carbs into your bloodstream.

Always eat breakfast. Oatmeal, yogurt, toast with peanut butter, whatever....

Don't drink your calories. if you drink regular soda, sweetened tea, juice, etc., STOP. Drink water, Crystal Light drink mix, diet soda only if you must have it.

You haven't answered my question as to whether you exercise. if you do, do a little more. If you don't, put on some sneakers and go for a fifteen minute walk every day. That's it. Everybody has fifteen minutes a day to spare. If you don't feel like doing it, put your shoes and socks on, then sit around on the couch, you will feel like an idiot.

Little changes can really add up. You don't need a whole rigid plan. Just start cutting out junk food if you eat it. If you eat fast food, cut it in half. seriously, if you go to Burger King twice a week and McDonalds twice, go to each one once. I can't believe how much fast food Americans eat...I haven't eaten in a fast food restaurant since I was a teenager....but that's another rant.

Baby steps. Your BMI is high, try to get it down a little. Don't focus on losing 20 pounds. Focus on losing one pound. Then focus on losing one more. Then one more.

Can you tell I was a diabetes educator in a previous life? Just because your doc hasn't given you a specific plan to follow, doesn't mean you can't do it on your own. If your insurance will cover it (and it should) ask for a referral to a nutritionist a dietitian. They can answer more specific questions.

Don't worry about the strong urine smell, unless your urine is very dark. Drink more water.

Old 11-13-2009, 03:14 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,336,629 times
John,

No doctor has ever talked to you about diet and diabetes? Were you never sent to a clinic for 8-12 hours total of diabetes education?

Your A1C and BG levels seem very high.

Please get to a doctor who specializes in diabetes. Please, please, please.

Old 11-13-2009, 03:57 PM

I drink now and have been for last three month water with Lemon or milk. Cut out all pop with sugar and don't even drink diet pop. I've never liked sugar in coffee and when I drink tea it unsweeten and also don't drink any juices.

Went to diabetes education right after the doctor found me with diabetes in 2003.

I did belong to the YMCA at one time for swimming which I loved but you know I got tired of it after a year. Now I do walk in a building with a track that's indoors. I go around four times to make a mile.

If I could find a job that requires walking that would be great.

John

Old 11-13-2009, 06:56 PM

Give up the milk. Lactose is the sugar in milk - will make your blood sugar rise and stay up. No grown person needs milk anyway. Also, are you exercising every day? Walking a mile is great, but maybe you should start going around one more time, make it a mile and a quarter, challenge yourself.

I had a patient recently who couldn't figure out why his BG was running so high. Turns out he was drinking a gallon of milk a day...

Old 11-14-2009, 05:14 AM

I mainly drink mik with cereal when I do eat breakfast. What about Lactose free milk?

I'm exercising about twice a week. I have bikecycle and I might start riding it.

John

Old 11-14-2009, 01:16 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,347,102 times
Maybe it's me, John, but I really think that you are better served by seeing a real flesh-and-blood provider who can actually examine you and review your history and results with you as well as consult with other members of the "team". There are other conditions that can cause a "fruity" odor to one's breath besides diabetes.

I am very leery of people on a forum offering healthcare advice to others, sight unseen. This is dangerous. Viral MD?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes