Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 03:45 PM

1,057 posts, read 2,015,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
Maybe it's me, John, but I really think that you are better served by seeing a real flesh-and-blood provider who can actually examine you and review your history and results with you as well as consult with other members of the "team". There are other conditions that can cause a "fruity" odor to one's breath besides diabetes.

I am very leery of people on a forum offering healthcare advice to others, sight unseen. This is dangerous. Viral MD?
If you read the entire thread, you'll see that he just went to his doctor who is an endocrinologist, this past week. I think he's just looking for a little reassurance or encouragement.

Actually, there aren't that many conditions that cause ketoacidosis and since we know he is a man with uncontrolled diabetes, that is the most likely culprit. Again, he just went to see his physician as we have all encouraged him to do.

John, twice a week isn't enough. At the very least you need to be exercising five days a week. Work up to it. Do one more day next week, etc. As long as you're not drinking tons of milk, it's ok that you're using it in cereal if it's skim milk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2009, 07:22 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,711,352 times
When I do drink milk it's only 2%. I know I should drink skim milk or 1%.

Thanks, John

Old 11-14-2009, 07:29 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,966,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renmill View Post
249 is way hi and that can do the fruity breath. Mine is a little better. It hung at 250 a long time and then when it went to 180-200 it felt like bottoming out to me. I am 49/female and been a type 2 diabetic since 1990. I feel many odd feelings being a diabetic. Email me and we will chat more on this. renmill@yahoo.com I am in Alabama
I am surprised your Doctor hasn't been more aggressive lowering your glucose. Your range should be 90-130 between meals and 160 two hours after a meal. Have you checked your hemoglobin A1c lately??? That should be under 7 for proper control.

Old 11-14-2009, 09:23 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,651,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Trails View Post
I am surprised your Doctor hasn't been more aggressive lowering your glucose. Your range should be 90-130 between meals and 160 two hours after a meal. Have you checked your hemoglobin A1c lately??? That should be under 7 for proper control.

Agreed! These are the exact ranges my doctor has me in. Anything higher and you are headed for serious trouble.

Old 11-14-2009, 10:34 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,966,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
Agreed! These are the exact ranges my doctor has me in. Anything higher and you are headed for serious trouble.
It is the high glucose that gets you every time!

Old 11-15-2009, 12:10 PM

Thanks for all the help and I don't mind at all for the helpfull infromation. My doctor desn't have the time to answer questions like you all do. The doctor looks at it, Your time is nothing but the doctor's time is everything.

Thanks, John

Old 11-15-2009, 07:19 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,363,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellfire View Post
If you read the entire thread, you'll see that he just went to his doctor who is an endocrinologist, this past week. I think he's just looking for a little reassurance or encouragement...Actually, there aren't that many conditions that cause ketoacidosis and since we know he is a man with uncontrolled diabetes, that is the most likely culprit. Again, he just went to see his physician as we have all encouraged him to do....
How do you know it's ketoacidosis? I did read the entire thread and he actually has seen 2 providers, one of which is an endocrinologist. Hopefully he'll be changing to another very soon, but in the meantime, you're coming way close to offering alot of advice.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:34 PM

I wonder what other health problems could cause ketoacidosis other then Diabetes? I tried to find it on the internet without any luck.

I sure it's because of my diabetes because all this smell came ownly after starting insulin for some reason. The weird thing is it has started to go away after I started eatting more food for some reason.

What is this insulin called Lantus and I'm taking 22 units at night before I go to bed.

Thanks, John

Old 11-16-2009, 08:16 AM

1,057 posts, read 2,015,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
How do you know it's ketoacidosis? I did read the entire thread and he actually has seen 2 providers, one of which is an endocrinologist. Hopefully he'll be changing to another very soon, but in the meantime, you're coming way close to offering alot of advice.
I wrote that it is the most likely culprit since his diabetes is out of control. The first thing I asked him was had he seen his doctor and was he seeing an endocrinologist. I didn't recommend any specific treatment or drug. I did not suggest he stop any current treatment or medication. I did direct him to the America Diabetes Association website which is a great resource for people with diabetes and their families.

Again, I did not make a diagnosis. I never would online. I just looked at the lab values that he posted and offered my opinion, again suggesting that perhaps his physician wasn't being aggressive enough. I think it's appropriate to encourage someone with diabetes to see their doctor, follow approved diet recommendations, and exercise a bit everyday.

I am a healthcare professional and prior to having a practice I was a diabetes educator. That is a CDE, it requires it lot of education and is not an easy certification to obtain.

If you would please reread my posts I did offer the possibility of other conditions that cause fruity, acetone breath. They are unlikely given this gentleman's scenario. If you think my advice was inappropriate, then please disregard it, but please be assured that the very first thing I (and others) did was encourage the poster to see his own doctor.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:39 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,864,849 times
Check your Ketones. Sweet breath can be found even with a blood sugar just slightly elevated but it normally means the sugar level has been raised. Do you do daily blood sugars?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes