Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 05:35 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,666,358 times

Advertisements

Sweet breath that smells like nail polish remover. Been having off and on for months now. My BG is 249 which is considered low for me and still have the breath smell for some reason.

John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 06:12 PM

12,635 posts, read 32,123,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Sweet breath that smells like nail polish remover. Been having off and on for months now. My BG is 249 which is considered low for me and still have the breath smell for some reason.

John
Sounds like your Ketones are elevated. When is the last time that you had a urinalysis?

Old 11-09-2009, 06:23 PM

I've been testing with Keto-Diastix strips and so far it's been testing that I have a trace of Ketones. I wonder what the hospital does to treat this problem?

Thanks, John

Old 11-09-2009, 06:51 PM

22 posts, read 52,070 times
249 is way hi and that can do the fruity breath. Mine is a little better. It hung at 250 a long time and then when it went to 180-200 it felt like bottoming out to me. I am 49/female and been a type 2 diabetic since 1990. I feel many odd feelings being a diabetic. Email me and we will chat more on this. renmill@yahoo.com I am in Alabama

Old 11-09-2009, 06:54 PM

22 posts, read 52,070 times
. The keto strip always show a trace of protein,ketones etc. That aint too bad. Hosp only treat it if it is higher by giving u IV's for several days. My Dr pays no attention when ketones show up in urine, he says when they show up in blood tests that is the time to worry and get in hospital, that can lead to death.

Old 11-10-2009, 12:15 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,119,917 times
I have the same thing. I've had urinalysis and blood test done by my doctor, and both showed no abnormalities, and neither showed ketones.

I lost less than ten pounds in the past year, and my weight has been stable for the past 6 months, so I shouldn't be spilling ketones as a result of weight loss.

Old 11-10-2009, 03:20 PM

1,057 posts, read 2,014,419 times
John 1960, that acetone breath is a sign that your sugar is too high and your body is producing ketones. I understand that your blood sugar is "low for you" but 249 is still far too high! What was your last HgbA1C? I wouldn't tolerate BGs in the mid 200s for my patients. Are you type 1 or type 2 (have you had this since childhood/young adulthood?)? A lot of peoplethink type 1 means you use insulin... that's not exactly true...anyway, I would re-evaluate my meds with my doc if I were you. I realize I'm pretty tough on my diabetic patients but it's because I don't want them to have the microvascular complications.

Old 11-10-2009, 03:58 PM

65 posts, read 290,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post

John
You are smelling acetone (same ingredient in nail polish) which is a by-product of fatty acid breakdown. Because your body is unable to use glucose as fuel, it breaks down fat into fatty acids. The fatty acids are then oxidized to ketone bodies (ACETONE) by the liver and kidney. Fatty acids and ketone bodies are used as an inefficient energy source by the brain and heart becuase your body is not able to transport glucose into cells which is doen with insulin. The state of ketosis imbalances your body and can severely cause your body to become too acidotic and dehydrated. Since your body is clearly not getting enough glucose and burning fat, you should see your pcp to adjust your insulin/meds.

250 is NOT LOW at all and very concerning if I were your doctor. This puts you at very high risk for for micro/macrovascular complications in the future. From your history, I would expect your H1ac to be at least 9, which would is way above what I would like and I would likely change your medication/insulin regimen. Again, Please go see your pcp or maybe consult with an endocrinologist to help you gain control of your diabetes.

Old 11-10-2009, 04:07 PM

65 posts, read 290,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellfire View Post
I realize I'm pretty tough on my diabetic patients but it's because I don't want them to have the microvascular complications.
You are good doc to be tough. Diabetes is one of the most preventable causes of blindness, amputations, MIs. Becuase of its slow onset of serious complcations, diabetes is not taken seriously until an eye is lost or leg needs amputation.

Old 11-10-2009, 04:24 PM

Here is my last three month Blood test taken on 5/4/2009 I'm type 2 and have had diabete sence 2003.

A1c 12.3
Total Cholesterol 231
Triglyorides 194
HDL 55
Calculated LDL 137
Microalbumin 18

Other laoratory test were normal,

Urinalysis
Kidney Function
Liver Function
Potassium and other Minerals
Blood Protein
Calcium and other Bone Minerals.

Also I take two shots of insulin a day and each is 16 units of Novolog mix 70/30 flexpen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes