Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 05:39 AM

1,638 posts, read 4,550,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Read up on the glycemic index for foods.
What you eat is important but how and when you eat is also very helpful.
A diabetes diet is not that difficult but combining it with foods that won't contribute to the cholestrel problem makes it a lot more limiting.
It's worth it to become educated .
Have you tried the newer sugar substitutes made from the plant Stevia?
The OP said they were on medication for the diabetes and the high cholesterol so not sure that they are looking for a diabetic diet to control blood sugars or cholesterol but to lose weight.

I would also suggest trying to follow a GI diet. There's lots of info out there and it's generally a healthy diet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 04:30 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
South Beach Diet worked to get my sugar levels somewhere near under control.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:46 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,469,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamarind View Post
I am insulin resistant and it takes a complete reworking and rethinking of your diet. I loooove pasta, potatoes and bread. But I've discovered that I'm a type of person that can't take much grain, even if they are "whole" or brown. If I eat rice I might as well eat lumps of sugar. A pasta dinner shows up on the scale 2 days later (and around my midsection as well). White potatoes as well so I have to limit it. Meats, vegetables, legumes, fruits and fats are what works best for me. Essentially a low simple-carb diet.
My husband's aunt is also resistant and she can't have any bad carbs. She eats nothing white or sugary. She lost 25lbs.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:19 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times
I had a horrible reaction a couple of weeks ago when I had a big sugar/bad carbo eating day. I felt like $hit and decided it was time to get my act together.

I've done lots of reading, Atkins, Dr. Oz, Diabetes cookbooks, etc. and what I've done is-

-stopped drinking alcohol.
-increased my lean proteins to that I'm eating one at every meal.
-snack on nuts, cheese, fruit, greek yogurt
-stopped eating all sugar (except fruit), all flour, rice, bread, pasta, etc.

Basically, I eat meat, chicken, eggs, fish, fruit (except bananas), vegetables (except carrots and potatoes) and nuts only. I drink soy or almond milk and water. I've dropped 5 lbs and feel GREAT!

Old 07-19-2010, 01:16 AM

14,767 posts, read 17,114,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Another vote for this book. I just started two days ago so I can't vouch for results, but it is a simple concept and an easy quick read. You can eat everything you want but you have to balance carbs with appropriate amounts of protein - - and of course you can't eat nearly as many carbs as you (or me ) may want to. I already feel more alert at work because eating as the book prescribes is balancing out my blood sugar throughout the day.
thanks
I'm going to check out this book.

i've also just been diagnosed with insulin resistence (as well as pcos, possibly thyroid issue amongst other things )

anyway, I've sat on it a few weeks, but am ready to start to rework my eating habits.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:48 PM

93 posts, read 358,453 times
Something someone on a forum said that really resonated with me: there are not just 2 types of diabetes- there are millions, because each diabetic is different.

What I ended up doing for my diet was to-
1. Track my blood sugars 5 times a day (before breakfast, before lunch, 2 hours after lunch, before dinner, and before bed). I have a log that I put it all in, religiously.

2. Focus on fats, meat, and veggies. My meals consist of veggies and meat and fat (usually mayo- yum). That's what works for me. I can't have ANY grain product, or any fruit other than 2-3 strawberries. I've been abusing my body for so long with crash diets and the rebound binges that I pretty much eat veggies in the morning and evening.

My typical day looks like this:
Breakfast: eggs, spinach, mayo, cheese. Microwaved into one little bowl of eggy goodness. Coffee, usually, made with SF coffee mate (about 2 table spoons), sometimes a packet of splenda (but not often)
Morning snack if hungry: 4 ounces cottage or 1 ounce cream cheese
Lunch: Slied turkey and cheese roll ups, a few pork rinds, and some times 2-3 strawberries
Afternoon snack: Beef jerky (1 individual stick), cream cheese, cottage cheese, or cheese stick (hey, I like cheese! It's the only dairy I can eat, besides butter).
Dinner: (99% of the time it's the same) Green beans, a 1/3 pound hamburger patty, slice of cheese, mayo. Sometimes a sugar free popsicle or a sugar free chocolate (the Russell Stover SF toffee squares are too good- they are no longer allowed in the house)
Bedtime: Cottage cheese (I really like the stuff!)
I drink water, crystal light, or diet dr. pepper. I am really sensitive to caffeine, so I have to stop it at noon. If I'm feeling rich or festive, I'll drink unsweetened almond milk or diet blueberry/pomegranate juice.

Things I used to love that just don't love me: ALL fruits, milk (I could easily drink 3 gallons a week myself), cereal (even the 'low-carb' kinds), breads. Before I was diagnosed as a diabetic, I was a vegetarian! A very strict one!

Now, I don't think everyone should eat like me. It's what works for me, keeps my sugars in a good place. I get really spacey and cranky if my sugars go above 150, so I have to keep tabs on things.

My best advice is to eat to your meter. Take your sugars before you eat, eat, take them 1 hour after, and then 2 hours after. In order to prevent complications (loss of limbs, blindness, dialysis), you want your sugars to be under 140.

I've lost 45 pounds since diagnosis without counting calories or carbs by eating to my meter.

Check out the website blood sugar 101- it is full of awesomeness for the newly diagnosed.

Many prayers and hugs for you. It really hard in the beginning, but, it gets better- or, easier to manage.

Old 08-17-2010, 06:53 PM

660 posts, read 1,397,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by follie View Post
Coffee, usually, made with SF coffee mate (about 2 table spoons),
I hate to break it to you, but any of the CoffeeMate products are bad for you (generic you). Have you looked at the ingredients on the packages? Corn Syrup and Partially Hydrogenated Oil. I know it says "O" for calories and sugar, but I just have to point that out when people think they're doing good by using it.

Old 08-20-2010, 05:48 PM

93 posts, read 358,453 times
Yeah, it is horrible. It's one of those trade offs I've made since I've taken such a drastic change to my diet. It's a treat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes