Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 12:45 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,481,189 times

Advertisements

How do you curb your cravings and appetite when dieting during PMS? When I'm going thro this, I seem to practically inhale the fridge in my kitchen and of course, the only things that I want or taste good are junk food. How do you best convince your stomach that it's all in the mind or that healthy items are just as satisfying?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 01:21 PM

5,077 posts, read 14,653,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
How do you curb your cravings and appetite when dieting during PMS? When I'm going thro this, I seem to practically inhale the fridge in my kitchen and of course, the only things that I want or taste good are junk food. How do you best convince your stomach that it's all in the mind or that healthy items are just as satisfying?
I am down almost at the 40lb weight loss mark. The ONLY way to be successful in losing weight is to give in ONCE in awhile to your cravings. I have weekends especially during that time where I just eat what I want but I do it smartly - meaning, I don't eat a lot past say 6:00 pm, and if I do give in a little (because you need to), I do it in moderation. if you deprive yourself of your cravings, they will not go away and you will just do worse when you finally do cave (and you will).

Old 06-18-2010, 01:27 PM

17,422 posts, read 16,590,828 times
I crave starchy carbs around that time and I really have to watch myself. Otherwise, a side of cous cous can turn into a plate of cous cous pretty easily.

I've found that eating lots of spinach helps to minimize my cravings for some reason. And dark chocolate becomes particularly appealing so I have a few squares of that in the evening. Better that than a pie, I suppose...

Other than that, I just try to remind myself that these cravings will pass in a few days.

Old 06-19-2010, 05:42 AM

4,344 posts, read 5,804,375 times
After changing my lifestyle and cutting certain foods out, my cravings changed. I craved healthier foods or had no cravings at all. Its wierd when you crave deviled eggs (made with greek yogurt instead of mayo) instead of cookie dough. lol!
Since you are having them, the goal is to not go overboard with it. There is a time where you will have to walk away from it reguardless of how bad your wanting it. That was me this month because I'm getting back on track with my eating.

Old 06-19-2010, 11:32 AM

2,709 posts, read 6,320,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaspercheron View Post
if I do give in a little (because you need to), I do it in moderation. if you deprive yourself of your cravings, they will not go away and you will just do worse when you finally do cave (and you will).
I do much the same thing. I eat whatever I have the urge to eat when I have the urge to eat it, but always in the back of my mind, I'm keeping an eye on the calories and the portion sizes. And I try for some overall balance. If I've got a taste for starchy carbs suddenly in the afternoon, I'll eat them, but then for dinner I'll go for the leafy vegetables and protein.

I've also found that my cravings have really lessened and aren't that bad. Strawberries or apples can satisfy my sweet tooth. Brown rice with apples, craisins, and pecans can satisfy my carb-cravings.

Old 06-19-2010, 11:59 AM

2,652 posts, read 4,801,831 times
I crave chips. I get a 99 cent bag. Get half and give the other half away. I can consume the entire huge bag of "peanut chews". The entire bag.

Old 06-19-2010, 12:10 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,804,375 times
Speaking of chips, try the sunchips and the Tostino's yellow corn chips (they have 3 ingredients).

Old 06-19-2010, 01:04 PM

8,410 posts, read 39,282,719 times
I just factor in whatever I want calorie wise. Some of it is "diety" food and other is just portion control. If you are really munchy like that all the time look at the quality of your diet on the daily. Are you getting the tastes you want? Are you getting the nutrition you need?

Big factors to keep on track:
- take a multi-vitamin with a b complex. (if you are not on other meds. vitamins don't mix w/ certain meds)
- proper fiber
- proper protein
- healthy fat
- staying hydrated

And tell yourself when you want more junk after you hit your limit, you can have your reasonable portion tomorrow. If you eat that fake sugar stuff you may want to back off it. For some, the fake sugars cause cravings to be worse.

Old 06-20-2010, 02:01 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,320,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
If you eat that fake sugar stuff you may want to back off it. For some, the fake sugars cause cravings to be worse.
Oh my godfrey, YES!! I bought some sugar-free popsicles a month or so ago, and they set off all sorts of cravings. I couldn't eat just one. I had to eat 10. (And at 15 calories a pop, I didn't care that I was eating 10 of them.) And then I wanted OTHER food, especially carbs. They triggered all sorts of cravings for me. I finally had the clue that it might be the sugar-substitutes that were sending me off the rails.

Old 06-27-2010, 02:20 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,317,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
I have a problem where I crave salt, then after I eat the salty food I crave sugar.. then salt.. then sugar... and I could be snacking all day! I wish they had some artificial poop smelling thing that I can carry around to curb my appetite. So far I've settled for choosing flavor-dense healthy items which I usually have to cook by myself (i.e. indian or thai spices). It does satisfy more so I don't get the opposite salty-sweet cravings. Drinking a bunch of fiber fills the stomach too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss