Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 10:44 AM

834 posts, read 2,685,305 times

Advertisements

for a size 12-14 it sometimes hard to find a good fit. Stores catered to plus-sizes usually run big or don't fit right.

Can you mention the stores that you would recommend for shopping for clothes...contemporary clothes, casual, or for going out at night. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 02:19 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,993,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston_2010 View Post
for a size 12-14 it sometimes hard to find a good fit. Stores catered to plus-sizes usually run big or don't fit right.

Can you mention the stores that you would recommend for shopping for clothes...contemporary clothes, casual, or for going out at night. Thanks!
It depends on your age, probably... but as a 29 year old who wears a size 12 (have been between 8 and 16 all my adult life), my favorite stores are Ann Taylor Loft (it may just be called "Loft" now), New York & Company and White House Black Market. White House Black Market is my favorite because the clothes just seem to be the most flattering on, but they're the most expensive, of course.

It also really depends on your style. I have to wear business casual clothes for work, so I'm often wearing jackets with t-shirts under them, or collared, button up shirts. For bottoms, khakis, black pants, skirts. I wear pretty much the exact same things outside of work, but with jeans instead of khakis or whatever. My sisters have commented that I have more "formal" taste in my casual clothes. I don't know if I totally agree, but whatever. I definitely do not wear anything that people would consider to be more sporty or athletic (because, who are we kidding, at a size 12, I'm not athletic and won't be fooling anyone).

Old 07-20-2011, 02:23 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,993,259 times
Oh, I also shop at Limited, but not as much because there's not a Limited store near me. Whenever I go to the big malls though, I go in there and usually end up buying something.

I know what you mean about the plus size stores being too big and many others being too small... I've had the same issues most of my life. I love silver brand jeans, btw, which I buy online or at The Buckle (don't wear anything else from the Buckle though, it's just not my style). Silver jeans aren't cheap either, but on sale, they're a good deal because I wear them until they're falling apart. For work pants though, I can't get enough of White House Black Market... I just recently got these trouser leg white jeans from there (online for $29 on clearance) and I think they're just extremely flattering on. I feel very statuesque in them, which is something I've never before found in a pair of white pants.

Old 07-20-2011, 04:46 PM

834 posts, read 2,685,305 times
I like some styles from White House/Black Market. Some others from Banana Republic but sometimes even if it's well fitted for shoulders area it is too tight for tummy area...grrrr... and other times is plain simply odd looking.

Also, I have realized that for a good fit, I can't shop at inexpensive stores. My jeans are better if the are relaxed fit, but size 12 or 14, depending on where they fall on hips.

Thanks to all for your comments.

Old 07-20-2011, 06:34 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,259,447 times
I have my best luck at Dress Barn.

Old 07-20-2011, 06:51 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,793,178 times
No kidding., Salvation Army and Goodwill and places like that. Why? because you can buy ten dresses/pants for $5 each ($50) and increase the likelihood a couple will fit right. A lot less risk of buying something and not liking it and wasting money. I employ this process. I buy a bunch of jeans at $5 each and when I find one I really like, I can buy the new version online; Levis or dockers for example.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:03 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,749,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
No kidding., Salvation Army and Goodwill and places like that. Why? because you can buy ten dresses/pants for $5 each ($50) and increase the likelihood a couple will fit right. A lot less risk of buying something and not liking it and wasting money. I employ this process. I buy a bunch of jeans at $5 each and when I find one I really like, I can buy the new version online; Levis or dockers for example.
Charles - are you a crossdresser? Or are you buying for a wife?

Gee, size 12 to 14 is big. Used to be the sizes I bought when I was fat. Now I buy size 6 to 8. Use to buy size 4 but I gained weight.

Womens clothes are expensive. If you can buy thrift you'd save a lot of money. Try ebay too. Clothes on Craigslist are junk.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:10 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,265,891 times
Why is this thread on diet and weight loss rather than fashion and beauty?

Old 07-21-2011, 07:54 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,807,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post

Gee, size 12 to 14 is big. Used to be the sizes I bought when I was fat. Now I buy size 6 to 8. Use to buy size 4 but I gained weight.

Womens clothes are expensive. If you can buy thrift you'd save a lot of money. Try ebay too. Clothes on Craigslist are junk.
OK Jesse, that's the second time in 2 weeks that I've seen you post about how certain sizes make a woman a cow. 10-12-14--those are average sizes these days, whether they should be or not. Could you please try to be more diplomatic? And you're a guy, which doesn't exactly make you an expert about women's sizes even if you are a crossdresser-- after all, you can control the size of your boobs. I'm happy for you that you lost a lot of weight and have beat your own weight problems, but that doesn't give you leave to be insulting to those of us who haven't.

OP, my advice for you is to shop in stores that cater to your age range, and I think you'll find a better fit that way--I have no idea how old you are, but if you're still trying to shop in the same stores that you did 10 years ago, that may explain it. Or you might even want to try sewing some of your own stuff--it would be a great way for women with fitting problems to get something that fits well. Or when you find a pair of pants that fits well, make sure you keep buying that brand--at least until it doesn't fit you anymore, as your body shape changes with age.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:46 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,793,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post

Neither. Those are just simply suggestions for buying anything: guys clothes, chick clothes, pizza, computers, cars. Try it out first. You can buy clothes at goodwill and wear them and take your time. They're so cheap that even if you don't like them you don't lose much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss