Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 08:44 PM

192 posts, read 250,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
in moderation like everything else
Not even omnivoes eat every food group.

Quote:
fruits had little sugar
This makes no sense. Humans need about 1500 calories from carbs. I barely make it on the so-called HIGH-suger diet I eat.

How do apes in jungles (un-touched by humans) get their calories?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2010, 09:09 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,681,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacman View Post

This makes no sense. Humans need about 1500 calories from carbs. I barely make it on the so-called HIGH-suger diet I eat.

By eating meat and insects along with the vegetable matter they consume. I think there are a lot of misconceptions going around in this thread, but carry on.

Old 08-28-2010, 10:17 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacman View Post

Chimpanzees hunt and eat meat. Apparently monkeys are on the list of preferred entrees, and chimps use tools to dig termites out of their nests and eat them. Gorillas don't hunt but get some animal protein from the insects that garnish their veggies.

Old 08-29-2010, 01:22 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,343,192 times
not sure if I'm buying this, and forgive me if the youtube videos aren't really convincing me. most of the fruits seen in supermarkets today are not native to the USA (and some fruits that are native here aren't so in other countries. and if you believe that life started out in Africa, there are even fewer choices of fruits there). then there's the issue of cold weather. I doubt the cavemen were into canning back then. I doubt fruit alone could sustain a person. the amount of fruit needed to meet the caloric need of an active cavemen back then would be very high and unlikely to be met in a small area (it's not as if they had a produce section to shop in). and let's not forget the issue of vitamin deficiencies. some vitamins can only be obtained from animal products and fruit isn't really high in calcium and other important vitamins/minerals

as for the egg situation, I find actually cooking the eggs to help out a lot.

Old 08-29-2010, 06:20 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,715,345 times
People in this part of the world have one million allergies and food hostilities. Something I have noticed - people in this country are not very immune. Maybe the blame has to be placed with the excesses of the processed food industry.

How many of you guys actually cook from the base vegetables and ingredients??

Old 08-29-2010, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Chimpanzees hunt and eat meat. Apparently monkeys are on the list of preferred entrees, and chimps use tools to dig termites out of their nests and eat them. Gorillas don't hunt but get some animal protein from the insects that garnish their veggies.
Gorillas' digestive tracts also manufacture essential amino acids and other vital nutrients...unlike human beings who can only get certain amino acids from animal proteins. So to say that a human being can get everything they need from a "gorilla diet" is frankly misleading.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Gorillas' digestive tracts also manufacture essential amino acids and other vital nutrients...unlike human beings who can only get certain amino acids from animal proteins. So to say that a human being can get everything they need from a "gorilla diet" is frankly misleading.
I said something about a "gorilla diet"?

All I said was that chimps and gorillas eat animal protein. This was in respose to a question about where wild apes get calories.

It is not true that humans need to eat meat to get all the essential amino acids. See here: How To Get Enough Protein In Your Vegetarian or Vegan Diet .

There are plant sources of vitamin B12, but getting enough can be tricky, so taking a B12 supplement is probably a good idea.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:51 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,794,697 times
The argument that finally convinced me that humans are meat eaters was the one that said: In the wild, animals either are the eater or the eaten. You're the predator or the prey. The most intelligent animals are the predators and they produce fewer offspring. Rabbits breed like rabbits so there will be plenty of food for the predators. Simple human vanity I know, but it was enough to set the pieces into place. And I used to be a vegetarian. I don't know that we need a lot of meat, but we need some. And fruit is good, but our modern fruit has a lot of sugar unless you buy it out of season. And sacman, what did you mean by this:
Quote:
What do you mean by "barely make it"?

And don't get me wrong here--most of us would benefit if we'd drop the junk food diets and move to eating more fruit, but here we are discussing an ideal diet for humans, which sadly enough I don't eat, but I strive for the 80/20 rule.

Old 08-29-2010, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I said something about a "gorilla diet"?
Nope, I was just kind of adding to your post.

Quote:
It is not true that humans need to eat meat to get all the essential amino acids. See here: How To Get Enough Protein In Your Vegetarian or Vegan Diet .
I didn't say humans need to eat meat, did I? I said they need animal protein. This could be eggs or dairy, or insects, or seafood, or actual animal flesh. Lacto-ovo vegetarians do just fine in terms of dietary intake, because they will eat eggs or dairy.

Quote:
There are plant sources of vitamin B12, but getting enough can be tricky, so taking a B12 supplement is probably a good idea.
If you need to take a supplement, then you're not eating correctly. And why take a man-made supplement, when you can get your dietary requirements as nature intended -- from food.

I'm not saying that people can't be successfully vegan or vegetarian, I'm just saying that many of them get fanatically bent about it, when the answers are quite simple. They're like proselytizers that come bang on your door, trying to convert you with threats of horrible things that will happen to you if you don't.

Old 08-29-2010, 10:00 AM

Mercury ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Nope, I was just kind of adding to your post.

I didn't say humans need to eat meat, did I? I said they need animal protein. This could be eggs or dairy, or insects, or seafood, or actual animal flesh. Lacto-ovo vegetarians do just fine in terms of dietary intake, because they will eat eggs or dairy.

But you can get enough protein without eating any animal products --- even insects.

If you need to take a supplement, then you're not eating correctly. And why take a man-made supplement, when you can get your dietary requirements as nature intended -- from food.

I did say you could get B12 from diet, but doing it requires deliberately taking it in such forms as nutritional yeast and other products fortified with it. Even here the key word is fortified, since you just can't reliably get enough B12 solely from plant sources. For many strict vegans, the easy way is a multivit with B12. If you read some of my other posts, you'll find that I think most supplements are unnecessary and a waste of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss