Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 11:10 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,953,056 times

Advertisements

Bette, it REALLY depends on what the specific food is you are talking about.

For me, I HATE cottage cheese. HATE IT!!! But, I know its good for me so I eat it. I do however ONLY eat the larger curd organic kind and ONLY after I put in almond slivers and craisins or blueberries. I also really dislike the taste of kidney beans. But, I do eat them mixed in with tuna or when they are in chili. I also think liver is one of the most godawful foods invented by man. But my favorite soup in the world is this blood/liver soup served in some Thai restaurants. The liver in these soups are delicious. So, really, it just depends on what the SPECIFIC food is you dont like and how it is to be prepared.

I look at food as fuel, so I can tolerate the nasty stuff if I know its good for me. But I know that if I were a foodie, I would never be able to eat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 01:56 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,673,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Pretty much any and every food taste can be enhanced and/or masked by tobasco and/or cayenne pepper.

The only food I can think of in the entire world that cannot be made to taste better is brussell sprouts.
I absolutley LOVE Brussels sprouts. You have Probably only had them cooked badly.

Old 10-24-2010, 02:48 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
Mostly fruit - any kind.
I agree the way it's prepared can make a huge difference, it can change the taste and texture completely.
Apples can be very finely chopped and added to tuna salad, or many other types of cold salad that you might put celery into, and you'll hardly notice it.
Cooked fruit? Pork chops, sausage or or ham with sauteed apples and onions. Poached pears, baked bananas, apple dumplings baked with brown sugar and raisins. Applesauce.
Frozen grapes or bananas are good during the hot months.
Dried fruit? Plums, apricots, apples.
Fruit Juice and fruit smoothies?

Old 10-28-2010, 12:17 AM

621 posts, read 3,206,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh2009 View Post
Bette, I feel your pain. I'm an extremely picky eater and hate most vegetables (other than carrots, lettuce, and starches). I like meat but I hate cooking it (and really cooking in general to be honest)...I find that what I love to eat are starches and dairy and sweets :/ And my problem is taste, texture, smell, appearance (yes, a lot is pyschological)....so I have no suggestions for you unfortunately because nothing really works for me.
Are you my long lost twin...haha. Seriously though, you sound exactly like me. I am also an extremely picky eater, hardly like any veggies, except the ones you mentioned, and it's all about the taste and texture. I wish there was a magic fix and I could poof love all these foods. It's a shame though, because my husband loves EVERYTHING and will eat anything put in front of him. I envy him so much.

Old 10-28-2010, 03:25 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Default Sometimes it's in the genes

Dislike of veggies is in the genes

Old 10-28-2010, 04:32 PM

1,731 posts, read 4,682,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
It's ALL about the chocolate.
Ah. But what if chocolate is a food you find gross?

I only have a few foods I just can't get used to eating and gag on. Those would be eggs and bananas. I do try a few times a year to eat them but so far no luck. I am determined however before I die to be able to actually swallow a bite of banana without horking it back up. Woe to anyone who sits across from me whenever I do try to eat some. Although usually the ones who do sit across from me and end up wearing banana are usually the ones who try and convince me I can eat them anyway so maybe they deserve it.

Old 10-28-2010, 08:15 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Bette, it REALLY depends on what the specific food is you are talking about.

For me, I HATE cottage cheese. HATE IT!!! But, I know its good for me so I eat it. I do however ONLY eat the larger curd organic kind and ONLY after I put in almond slivers and craisins or blueberries. I also really dislike the taste of kidney beans. But, I do eat them mixed in with tuna or when they are in chili. I also think liver is one of the most godawful foods invented by man. But my favorite soup in the world is this blood/liver soup served in some Thai restaurants. The liver in these soups are delicious. So, really, it just depends on what the SPECIFIC food is you dont like and how it is to be prepared.

I look at food as fuel, so I can tolerate the nasty stuff if I know its good for me. But I know that if I were a foodie, I would never be able to eat
You can live nicely without cottage cheese. It's not the most popular food in the market. It's great that you want to find a way to enjoy it though. Here's another idea (and I like only the large curd too, if it's cold):

Make some spinach linguine. Cook it til just slightly softer than al-dente. Drain the water out. Add cracked black pepper and a big wooden spoonful of cottage cheese. Mix well while it's still hot, so that the cheese melts. It's funny how people forget that this stuff really is CHEESE. Cold out of the container it's pretty bland, and has that odd consistency. But melted into pasta in the absolute simplest recipe, it's pretty awesome.

Old 10-28-2010, 08:17 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen1971 View Post
Ah. But what if chocolate is a food you find gross?

I only have a few foods I just can't get used to eating and gag on. Those would be eggs and bananas. I do try a few times a year to eat them but so far no luck. I am determined however before I die to be able to actually swallow a bite of banana without horking it back up. Woe to anyone who sits across from me whenever I do try to eat some. Although usually the ones who do sit across from me and end up wearing banana are usually the ones who try and convince me I can eat them anyway so maybe they deserve it.
If you consider chocolate gross, you might not be human. Also, banana slices dipped in chocolate fondue. Do it for your country!

Old 10-28-2010, 08:32 PM

1,731 posts, read 4,682,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
If you consider chocolate gross, you might not be human. Also, banana slices dipped in chocolate fondue. Do it for your country!

Eww lol. Where is that vomit icon when you need it? I love my country but not that much!! I guess the terrorists really do win lmao.

I know I am weird though when it comes to chocolate. I can handle a bite or two during that time of the month but honestly I just do not see the appeal at all. Now the rest of my family on the other hand? Yikes. Talk about chocolate gluttony. My dad alone can go through a whole bag on M&M's in one sitting. He is so lucky he is tiny and can get away with being a human garbage disposal. I have tried to get him to slow down with not only chocolate but food as a whole but so far no luck. I swear that even though he has made it to his 70's with never weighing more than 150lbs he is going to wake up one day looking like Jabba the Hut!

Old 10-30-2010, 10:31 PM

664 posts, read 855,484 times
i hated oatmeal so much. i mean i would gag when i ate it. i thought, since i love grits, i would cook them and season them like it do my grits (with oil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder). i will eat them with a sausage too. i don't like store bought flavored oatmeals. i like to make it my own way with milk, honey, and chopped up almonds. if oatmeal is not these two ways, i'm not eating it. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss