Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 08:39 PM

6,885 posts, read 11,251,567 times

Advertisements

If you just detest certain foods and these are the ones that are good for you, what are some ways to overcome this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 08:49 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,026,255 times
What kind of foods are you speaking of? Need a bit more info, please!

Old 10-18-2010, 09:33 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,947,551 times
One thing to keep in mind is that there may be good reason as to why you don't like certain foods. Our subconscious protects us and the reason you may not like a food is because you have an allergy to it in certain amounts, or it could be a trigger for a migraine, etc. So, it is possible that your body could be protecting you by making certain foods unappealing. Granted, if you are talking about how you like Hostess Cupcakes and not celery or other healthy foods then it could be more of a mind over matter type of thing. There are so many different ways to fix foods that there are recipes out there that could make what used to be the most horrible food the yummiest ever.

There are many foods that I didn't like growing up that I now love.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:37 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,558,792 times
A lot of it is in the preparation. I grew up gagging on green beans because they were cooked to death with some form of ham in them.....when I grew up and discovered light steaming, I decided I loved them. Conversely for me brocolli needs to be cooked pretty well though my family likes it crunchy. ............. Experiment. And be open minded

Old 10-18-2010, 09:54 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,973,142 times
Pretty much any and every food taste can be enhanced and/or masked by tobasco and/or cayenne pepper.

The only food I can think of in the entire world that cannot be made to taste better is brussell sprouts.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:57 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,151,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
If you just detest certain foods and these are the ones that are good for you, what are some ways to overcome this?
Lots and lots of people say that many foods are "acquired tastes". This is somewhat true because there was a time when I did not like avocados and asparagus and shrimp, but I like them all very much now.

Also, I am told, that as you start eating better and clear all the junk out of your system, you start actually craving HEALTHY foods, that perhaps you did not like. I am still working on this.

I find that for foods that I do not like (but must eat), that camouflaging them works wonders. The blender is my biggest friend because you can blend up some broccoli and stick it in a meatloaf and never know the difference.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-18-2010, 09:59 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,151,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
A lot of it is in the preparation. I grew up gagging on green beans because they were cooked to death with some form of ham in them.
There you go! See? I could not stomach them until I found out that if you cook them to death with tons of bacon, slather them with brown gravy and eat them with mashed potatoes!

Different strokes!

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-18-2010, 11:03 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,290,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Pretty much any and every food taste can be enhanced and/or masked by tobasco and/or cayenne pepper.

The only food I can think of in the entire world that cannot be made to taste better is brussell sprouts.
Now, see, I think most hot peppers and hot sauces taste extremely bitter. Actually, most "sweet" peppers taste bitter to me, too. So your fix is not for me.

Brussels sprouts are delicious roasted with garlic and olive oil - even my husband loves them that way, and he had to struggle with himself to even try it.

Vive la difference!

Old 10-19-2010, 06:43 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,406,814 times
Are you talking about food neophobia? Or is your issue not as severe?

Old 10-19-2010, 08:47 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,724,515 times
I agree that sometimes preparing the food differently can make all the difference. For instance, if you don't like raw veggies, how about a vegetable soup or chunky spaghetti sauce? I dislike yellow squash very much, but everything is good in a minestrone soup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
I love brussel sprouts! Roasted in the oven, oh yes please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss