Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 06:39 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,687,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I agree, and I'll add a couple more factors that I believe are important:

C. The perceived normality of one's environment. If your parents are overweight, and your neighbors are overweight, and your friends are overweight, you see that as normal. You probably all eat similarly, and you are not criticized for looking like everyone else. Likewise, if you live among people who are more active or athletic, you will feel the pressure to be like them.

D. What foods you were brought up eating. (I guess this is related to C.) I have family who turns up their nose at any vegetable besides iceberg lettuce or corn. Fresh fish? Gross! They'll eat frozen fish sticks with tartar sauce, though--never salmon or ahi. Some people are raised with particular tastes, not encouraged to try new things like calamari or hummus. They're just repulsed by it. Some other members of my family talk in half-joking-half-derision about our menu of "rabbit food," "hippie food," "California food," and "weed salad." My mom went to visit them lately, and they eat a few times a week at Wendy's and McDonald's. They just won't try the food I prepare. They're convinced it's gross and they'll hate it. Dinner tonight for us is brown rice, stir-fried vegetables and tofu. I think they'd rather starve.
Yes, I can certainly agree with this too.

(Must admit though, I'm not feeling what you're having for dinner either! )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2010, 07:54 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,403,338 times
When you are poor, and work on your feet all day long, the last thing you want to do after your two jobs, is go exercise. You are beat exhausted. And the only pleasure you have in your life is fried chicken, and ice cream sundae with whipped cream and hot fudge. Do you blame the poor for their weight? They are not going to be able to save for a vacation, or go any place when they work and live pay check to pay check...but they can afford some ice cream to eat after work, or a splurge on baklava...

Old 10-23-2010, 11:49 AM

1,678 posts, read 4,015,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
When you are poor, and work on your feet all day long, the last thing you want to do after your two jobs, is go exercise. You are beat exhausted.
I have worked two jobs before (one being a 12 hour shift, the other a part time job for 4 hours), and still found time to take care of ME. Its a matter of motivation, and while it does take extra work, YOU are the only one that can look out for you. Noone else can, or will.

Quote:
And the only pleasure you have in your life is fried chicken, and ice cream sundae with whipped cream and hot fudge.
Wow... sounds like they need to get a second hobby! If cooking is too much for you when you get off of work, you can make your meals ahead of time, and refrigerate them. Ever heard of a crock pot? They do wonders too! If you have a spouse, have them help out with meal preparation... get the kids involved if you can.

Quote:
Do you blame the poor for their weight? They are not going to be able to save for a vacation, or go any place when they work and live pay check to pay check...but they can afford some ice cream to eat after work, or a splurge on baklava...
They can use that money they are spending on the fried chicken/sundaes/whipped cream, and save it for a rainy day event. They are probably spending more money on that crap food than if they would plan accordingly and eat correctly. Think of the heaps of medical bills they will incur when their diabetes gets out of control, or heart disease takes over, or the triple bypass that will be coming up? Having to go to specialty stores just so they can buy a tent to fit their rotund bodies? Gee... I guess I do blame ANYONE who decides to make their lives like that... they are doing it to themselves. Rich or poor, makes no difference there.

Ian

Old 10-23-2010, 01:39 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,863,280 times
Much of the poor have less education thus they do not have the knowledge about proper nutrition nor do they have opportunity to have experienced eating food from other cultures which might be more healthy. Living in the South I see this every day, everything that is Southern food is fried or greasy. Even vegetables are slathered in butter. If I mention healthy eating to the majority of the locals I get a deer in the headlights look.

Much of the community here is very poor and they do not even shop at grocery stores. They get their food from Big Lots & the Dollar Store. Is there any wonder why they are the very same people who are grossly overweight and have diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss