Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 09:18 PM

11,085 posts, read 6,026,806 times

Advertisements

I know nothing about thyroid problems which seems to change the game plan a bit. First of all, cut out all sugar (fruits are OK but some are high in sugar). Research is now suggesting that grains are public enemy No2 (with sugar occupying No1 spot). Do the research on grains. They seem to do a lot of harm to one's health. It's been suggested that cellular carbs are OK. Carbs from vegetables, those are. But if you are going to eat grains then insist on whole grains.

I don't know about boiled spinach. I refuse to eat anything that's been boiled, including potatoes. I see no point since so much of the nutrients are lost in boiling. Steaming is the best way to cook vegetables. Boiling is used to destroy toxins in certain foods for what that is worth. But for thyroid problems, I suppose the game changes.

I would in any event recommend therapeutic supplements - the full range.

I would also suggest that it it better to get your calories from healthy fats than from carbs. Meats also provide calories but limit saturated animal fats (or any saturated fats). Fruits like avocado are wonderful foods and are high in unsaturated fats and very low in sugar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 09:36 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,100,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I do not think thyroid issues that can be corrected with medication are the cause of any weight problems. But it still tends to be an excuse for many.
Yes, but just because you can take medication for thyroid doesn't mean you are magically fixed either. Sometimes it's a struggle to find and maintain a balance. I have Hashimoto's as well, and I have yet to have any kind of consistency in my labs. I posted this thread 4yrs ago and I still go for labs every 6-8 weeks and I am still trying new meds and doses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousAngel View Post
Thank you for your response luckyd609! I am taking ultra woman sport performance vitamin and it does have 18mg of iron in it. I am going to stop taking it and see of that helps. I was not trying to use my thyroid as an excuse, I am just working really hard and I wanted the same results my husband is getting. Thanks again for your advice
Take your vitamins and other meds separately. I take my meds in the morning right after I've brushed my teeth and my vitamins at night right after I've brushed my teeth. It keeps me from forgetting to take them (well, most of the time anyway )

Old 01-05-2015, 09:51 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,838,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
Yes, but just because you can take medication for thyroid doesn't mean you are magically fixed either. Sometimes it's a struggle to find and maintain a balance. I have Hashimoto's as well, and I have yet to have any kind of consistency in my labs. I posted this thread 4yrs ago and I still go for labs every 6-8 weeks and I am still trying new meds and doses.

Take your vitamins and other meds separately. I take my meds in the morning right after I've brushed my teeth and my vitamins at night right after I've brushed my teeth. It keeps me from forgetting to take them (well, most of the time anyway )
Thats a drag about your thyroid. Do you go to an endocrinologist? Have you seen different doctors?

Old 01-05-2015, 06:55 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,100,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Thats a drag about your thyroid. Do you go to an endocrinologist? Have you seen different doctors?
Yup, this is the 2nd endo so far. 3rd different med....tried generic levo and then synthyroid and am now on Armour. Right now I go every 2 months for labs. I'm not sure what the numbers will show but I feel like garbage on Armour.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:05 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,944,289 times
Quote:
Yup, this is the 2nd endo so far. 3rd different med....tried generic levo and then synthyroid and am now on Armour. Right now I go every 2 months for labs. I'm not sure what the numbers will show but I feel like garbage on Armour.
I have been hit or miss true trying an endo next but it seems they are wildly popular around here. Would love to have my old energy levels back. I notice it most with small things. Ican be as active as I was. I need more recharge time. And some days stuff that should not be strenuous are exhausting.

Old 01-06-2015, 12:43 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,838,861 times
Quote:
Oh man. That really sucks. I hope you can find something that works for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss