Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 02:52 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,331,418 times

Advertisements

Has anyone tried or does anyone know anything about Alli? I have seen this product advertised on TV and in stores. I was thinking about trying it, but would like to hear from someone who knows something about it first. I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2007, 04:08 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,372,399 times
One of the drs at my work is reccomending it to some of the patients. It was a med that was only by prescription, and is the only FDA approved OTC weight loss med, unlike dexatrim, etc...

It does have side effects such as loose stools and gas....

Old 07-14-2007, 04:47 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,752,843 times
My husband and I are on the Alli pill now. We are almost through the first bottle and I have noticed my husband is losing weight. It does force you to really consider the fat content in what you are eating. We have been reducing the size of our portions and trying to eat whole grains/vegies and not fatty meats. So far we have stuck to it and with few of the side effects mentioned. You will notice within a short time if you have exceeded your fat allowance.

Old 07-15-2007, 06:34 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,191,100 times
There's a very good reason that it is suggested that you always carry extra clothes along. They even admit that it can cause "anal leakage"

If you don't digest 25% if the fat that you eat, guess where it goes!! So if you eat very, very little fat, you may have no problem at all.

It's cheaper to eat very, very little fat and skip the pills. It will take a little longer, but it's safer, less chance of socially unacceptable happenings.

Old 07-15-2007, 10:56 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,242,333 times
My father in law took this a few years ago. He had to change his clothes a couple of times a day! If you do not eliminate the fat from your diet you will embarrass yourself.

Old 07-15-2007, 11:09 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,242,333 times
My father in law took this a few years ago. He had to change his clothes a couple of times a day! If you do not eliminate the fat from your diet you will embarrass yourself.

Old 07-15-2007, 12:29 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,752,843 times
So far no need for Depends. I guess we have a low fat diet nailed down. If we have meetings to attend, we usually skip the pill that day. I am waiting for Larry the Cable Guy to make this pill part of his skit.

Old 07-15-2007, 05:20 PM

453 posts, read 2,101,566 times
i strongly recommend against using it. it basically forces you to eliminate fat in your diet, otherwise it will leak out of your butt. eliminating fat in your diet is not a good thing; it's a necessary nutrient and the right kinds of fat will aid in weight-loss.

just eat a healthy, balanced diet, exercise, and you will not need to use this stuff

Old 07-16-2007, 02:00 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,044,201 times
Alli is Orlistat, and it's the OTC version of Xenical. It is 1/2 the strength of Xenical. It's not billed as amazing. If you eat reasonably and take Alli, it's supposed to help you lose a little more weight than just dieting alone. People with high cholesterol could most likely benefit from Alli too. It forces your body to not absorb @ 25% of the fat eaten when you take the pills.

Most people have no problems taking Alli. A few people do have problems and some of the 'treatment effects' can be gruesome. Like the anal leakage someone mentioned. If you want to try it, I would start on a Friday after work and have the weekend to see if you have any of the bad effects they talk about.

Old 07-16-2007, 11:40 AM

3,401 posts, read 13,374,452 times
This is not a fat-burning get in shape boost your metabolism type of quick-fix that is most sought after these days.

This pill, comes with a book - for a reason. This is introducing a new way of life, not a miracle burining weight loss.

Alli blocks exactly 25% of the fat content in what you eat daily. So - skip the amount of money it costs you for the pill - and imagine cutting your lunch into 4 pieces - and only eat 3 of them... instead of all 4. Better yet, why not save your money...and just scare the crap outta someone by handing them a tic tac and saying - if you eat all those chicken nuggets, you are going to explode violently out your rear-end most painfully, and embarassingly. Feel like skipping lunch today? It is not a dramatic change in my opinion... the reason this was prescribed to the obese, and not the general public was for clear reasons....a slow acting, over-time adjusting-adaptaion to a healthier eating pattern. if you have a problem cutting down on the amount of food you eat - this does it for you. Not eating has never been a problem for me, but people's metabolism is what prevents average weight loss, as it does mine.

I lost 70 pounds a few summers back, and it took 3-4 months.... by eating one meal a day - and walking everywhere. Did I walk everywhere on purpose for weight loss? no.. I was just wanting to get out of the house. but it was the combination of both that worked together to kick my butt into shape. Did I gain at least 10 of it back? yup .... but I stopped walking.
the best results I have seen yet, are from the detoxifying pills that you take in weekly supplements. they rid your body of the harmful additives that can prevent the natural process your body goes through to shed those unsighly pounds. 79% of all adults chemical makeup have an all-time alkaline high, that prevents natural weight loss. so not only are you fighting the stomach pains, the hunger cravings, the lack of energy or time in your day to excersize.. but you are fighting an inbalance in your body, that without the proper knowledge - you would have known nothing about!

I have read many reviews that people are unhappy with the results of Alli. They not only fear for their lives with the possibility that what they eat may run down the side of their inner thigh disguised as an orange greasy stream not even 5 minutes later - but .... if the pill goes hand in hand with a book to promote general wellbeing as well as eating and diet plans to a healthier living, this is clearly encouraging a dramatic change of lifestyle - not a miracle quick-fix as I mentioned above.

I read a good post the other day explaining why some people lose weight - and some people go no where.

Everyday that you eat less, that you dont work your body harder - you are getting no where. Your body adjusts to your calorie intake... so if you want to make a drastic improvement in your appearance - whatever your eating habits may be - kick it up a notch, if you eat a light salad for lunch - bunker down and crank out 100 sit ups - or crunches. They work hand in hand to kick your body into gear. you can do one without the other - but it takes longer... oh so much longer. if you eat a thousand calories in a day, your body will work to consume those thousand calories in daily activities.. (hence, getting nowhere) if you eat 600 calories a day - and you make it a point to force your body (even if just for 10-20 minutes in the evening) to work harder - you just forced your body to use more energy than you had intake for the day. thus resulting in fat loss $$$

__________________________________________________ ____________

TIPS to remember!

Coffee - kicks up your metabolism. no, 4 cups of sugar + half an inch of coffee does not equal healthy. if you're going to drink, drink it sensibly.

The position of being upside-down - kicks your thyroid into gear. while most people do not have, or might not know even of a pre-existing condition of a thyriod, imbalances can greatly affect the way you gain and lose weight.
So hang half way off your bed while you cool off after excersising. not only does it disorient you, but you regulate a good quality "minute or two" of under the bed exploring & possibly cleaning! This is why so many yoga positions people are introducing have you upside down partially. + it gets your blood moving! And if you can DO the yoga position to get upside down... more power to ya!! I will stick to my under-the-bed exploring!

I don't care how hungry you are - don't eat anything after 7. it goes nowhere.

No one likes excersizing - so if you're not into it, don't sit there and crunch out sit ups or stomach crunches... but try this one on for size.
Lay on your back, with your feet up. you wanna look like a kink. lay on your back, bend at the knees, and rest your calves on a chair, or a bed, or something, so your thighs are straight up and down, and your calves and back are flat - and do your crunches that way. You will feel it burn your butt... lol. and this is good. it works your butt & your thigh muscles, as well as your abs and lower body (unlike regular crunches, that just focus on your abs and lower body) if I don't have the energy in the evening to punch out 100 or so - i'll do 10 - and then hold the position for 2-3 minutes. you will feel the pain - oh yes. sometimes it's even more cruel then just pumping out the crunches.. but with good reason. you will start shaking with the effort it takes to hold that position. whether it's up and holding it while going down, or down, and holding it while going up. Either way, if you wake up slightly sore and achey in the morning- yeah it may suck... but you're doing it right!! You can hurt yourself by straining in that position for too long - but nobody knows your body better than yourself. if you can only hold it for 10 seconds at a time. then start at 10, and work your way up.

My Tae Kwon Do instructor told me that if you're not sore in the morning - you didnt work hard enough!

PS - miracleburn has patented a new cream. let me de-frizzle the mystery. it is a lotion with a caffeene/coffee base to it. Did you know caffeene promotes weight loss? ...and not by drinking it this time, but by actually rubbing it on your "problem spots" ? This has yet to be determined...as I have not found the right timing for "feeling sticky and smelling like a Starbucks for the rest of the day" - but if anyone does try it out, inquiring minds want to know!!

PSS - MSNBC is coming out with the "Alli Cam". someone is making it their life's ambition to follow around new Alli users with a hidden video camera, to report just how "insignificant or otherwise" the side effects can be. yikes!

I would like to mention I am not a health professional, and I am always trying new things.. so after reading this take it with a grain of salt I'm just eliminating a lot of the fluff, and after 3 or 4 years of reading lots, trying lots, watching lots, failing and/or acheiving lots - I'm just passing along a bit of info I would consider valuable!

Good luck to you all & God bless!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss