Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2011, 03:45 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,456,680 times

Advertisements

I am back on Atkins after trying Weight Watchers. Weight Watchers is a good program but it was slow progress for me. I tried Atkins 6 years ago after trying everything to lose weight. I lost 40lbs in 4 months and felt great! But since it has been 6 years, I need a refresher. I did download the New Atkins book from Amazon. Can anyone give me their favorite Atkins/low carb weight loss tip or recipe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 05:53 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,301,046 times
I am not actually doing Atkins, I am trying Dukan. My tip would be to stay stocked up on least 3 kinds of protein at all times--- eggs, red meat, salmon, cheese-- whatever works best for you. Also keep 2-3 bunches of celery & carrots on hand for snacks. You should be able to have carrots,later on. Also, I keep granny smith apples for snacks---1 Apple a day.

Old 02-27-2011, 01:19 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,749,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singlelady10 View Post
I am back on Atkins after trying Weight Watchers. Weight Watchers is a good program but it was slow progress for me. I tried Atkins 6 years ago after trying everything to lose weight. I lost 40lbs in 4 months and felt great! But since it has been 6 years, I need a refresher. I did download the New Atkins book from Amazon. Can anyone give me their favorite Atkins/low carb weight loss tip or recipe?
--WATER! If I don't drink at least eight 8-oz glasses of water/day, my weight loss stalls, or I see gains.

--definitely log your carbs. It's very easy to go over the induction levels if you're not careful.

--Fave Recipes:

CHICKEN OPORTO

1/4 C butter
1/4 lb mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 shallot, finely diced
3 chicken breast halves, skinned/de-boned*
1/2 to 1 t salt
1/8 t black pepper
1/8 t nutmeg
3/4 C heavy whipping cream
1/4 C white wine**

*can probably substitute any cut of chicken, with or without skin
**can probably substitute broth/stock

Cook mushrooms in butter over med-high heat, when they begin to brown, reduce the heat to medium and add the shallots. Stir often. When shallots are translucent, remove veggies to bowl and set aside.

Combine the spices in a cup, mix well and lightly sprinkle chicken on each side.

If needed, add enough additional butter to pan for adequate frying purposes, heat to Med-Hi. When pan is hot, add chicken to pan and let it do its thing undisturbed until the first side is nicely browned. Using tongs, turn each breast over and leave it also undisturbed while it browns. When the 2nd side is nicely browned, add the mushroom/shallot mix back to the pan, then mix the wine and cream together and pour over the chicken. At this point I also sprinkled in the remaining portion of the seasonings into the cream in the pan.

Heat to boiling, then cover tightly and reduce heat to low/med-low. Let simmer for 30-40 min or until done (check the thickest part of the largest chicken breast). Taste the sauce and adjust seasoning if desired.

Let the chicken rest about 5 min before serving.

Serves 3.

Per the stats on FitDay, this would yield 5.75 net carbs per serving IF all the sauce were eaten. I found there was about 6 oz left after we ate, and it was spectacular over poached eggs the next 2 days.

BREADED CHICKEN BREASTS WITH GARLIC ALFREDO

3 boneless/skinless chicken breast halves, each cut in half again
1/2 C finely crushed pork rinds
1/2 C parmesan (the finely ground type)
black pepper, garlic powder, dried basil - about 1/2 t each
olive oil
beaten egg

Preheat oven to 350 F.

Beat the egg well and set aside. Combine the crushed pork rinds, cheese, and spices, mix well and place on a plate for dredging. Heat a wide frying pan on med-hi heat, add a few tablespoons olive oil and coat the pan. When it is hot enough, dredge each piece of chicken in the egg, drain, and coat with the dry mix, then add to pan. Try to not disturb them until they are nicely brown, then turn and cook the other side. If they begin to get too dark too quickly, adjust the heat to about medium. When all are browned nicely on all sides, place on baking sheet and loosely drape with foil, then place in oven to continue cooking.

The Sauce:

1 stick butter
1-2 cloves garlic, crushed or minced
1 8-oz package full-fat cream cheese
1 C heavy cream
1/3 C parmesan
black pepper to taste

With heat on about med-low, lightly cook the crushed garlic in either a small amount of butter or olive oil in a medium saucepan, stirring frequently. Do not brown the garlic.

Add the butter and cream cheese (will melt faster if each is cut into chunks) and heat on medium until both are melted, stirring with a whisk. Add cream and parmesan, heat and stir until the parmesan is melted to your liking; adjust seasoning as desired.

Serves 3.

The sauce is sinfully rich (at least 6 servings for that one batch, around 4 g net carbs/serving), so don't go crazy with it.

Both meals were incredibly filling with or without a salad.

Last edited by rayneinspain; 02-27-2011 at 01:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss