Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 05:30 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,059,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
Hmm...I read some of that but I am still conditioned by the knowledge I grew up with, namely that you should not have more than 2 eggs a week.
Also, not in the evening because they are heavy.

I feel weird having eggs every day and almost feeling like i am doing something extremely unhealthy. On top of that, my husband has high cholesterol (250) and to use eggs as a staple in our house feels extremely unfair to him.

I HAVE used eggs but sparingly. Granted, my kids could certainly use more eggs.
It's already been mentioned, that misconception has been completely disproven plus a low carb/ketogenic diet done properly will drop cholesterol substantially.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Ok, here is what I do. I follow a MODIFIED CYCLIC KETOGENIC DIET. A Cyclic Ketogenic Diet is basically no/very low carb for 5 days...... then a full day of carbing up...... then back to no/low carb.

I follow a modification of the CKD. I will eat no/very low carbs (less than 20 grams) for between 1-4 days, then I will have A CARB UP MEAL OF MY CHOOSING, whatever I want (carb ups are supposed to be high carb/lower fat). I eat only 3 meals a day, NO SNACKS and no caloric beverages (black tea/coffe is ok). I only carb up when I start really carving carbs or my energy is going low.
This is what I do, except I do an initial 12 day low carb phase before going to a 5 on 2 off schedule. It's worked extremely well for me and allows me to satisfy my carb cravings on the weekends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 10:14 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,791,358 times
I've also been wondering how this is done in real life and though I love eggs I have no desire to eat them every day. My dad, who was type I diabetic, ate them every day though.

One breakfast that I just love, and would prefer to eat more often, is Fage whole milk yogurt with about a tablespoon of Polaner sugar-free high-fiber jam mixed in. It's not no carb, but it's low carb and it's much more delicious than any of those desserty concoctions that usually passes for yogurt.

Another thing I've found too, is the Carb Addicts diet--you eat low carb for breakfast and lunch, and then for supper you have equal portions of salad, protein, vegetable, and carb and you have to eat all within 1 hour of starting. This actually worked better for me than Atkins induction, but I didn't stick with that either and I'm still struggling with my weight.

The one thing I must do though, is to avoid sweets entirely. If I have a taste I can't stop and the weight will just pile back on. It doesn't get me where I want to go, but I've lost 20 lbs from when I stopped eating them and when I don't eat them, I don't crave as much food overall. I'm trying to eat more fermented veggies like sauerkraut b/c they're supposed to be better for your gut flora than acidophilus even. Good luck!

Old 03-13-2011, 12:51 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,283,220 times
I've done high protein in "real life" for a little over a decade.......it's very simple, choose protein over high glycemic carbs at most or every meal. Based on what I'm reading it sounds like some people might be better off on a system like the Zone. It teaches you to think in terms of blocks like the WW point system. A block of protein is 7 grams, for example. To make a 3 block meal you put 21 grams of protein with 3 blocks of carbs which is 27 grams then add a dash of fat from a monosaturated source such as olive oil. According to Sears and ime this should keep you "in the Zone" for 4-5 hours. This system, when I first discovered it in my late 20s, was totally revelatory. I could not believe how much my carb cravings were eliminated. It was almost like a religious experience. Because I was so grateful to be relieved of the burden of carb addiction, I never forgot that initial experience & went on to practice the Zone & lower carb lifestyle in general the entire next 10 years. Reducing carbs is one of the best things I've ever done for myself.

Old 03-13-2011, 06:56 PM

22,654 posts, read 24,581,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
It's already been mentioned, that misconception has been completely disproven plus a low carb/ketogenic diet done properly will drop cholesterol substantially.

This is what I do, except I do an initial 12 day low carb phase before going to a 5 on 2 off schedule. It's worked extremely well for me and allows me to satisfy my carb cravings on the weekends.

Right on, CKD is great. I do not establish a set time to do my carb up, greedy me would be getting too wrapped up in when/what my carb up meal would be. I kinda like pushing myself to see how long I can go with no/very low carbs, then trying to do a healthy carb up as in no Jumbo Jacks with fries.

Old 03-14-2011, 01:24 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,557,923 times
Quote:
I could never count calories, it seems terribly tedious to me.
Have you tried it? I dont find it that bad - my wife and i often do it together. For many foods we know the WW point values (we use those rather than calories, my wife is on WW) and when we dont, reading the nutrition labels is fun. To the extent it is annoying, its less so (FOR ME) than ruling out whole categories of foods I like.

But not everything is for everyone, of course.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:45 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,439,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Have you tried it? I dont find it that bad - my wife and i often do it together. For many foods we know the WW point values (we use those rather than calories, my wife is on WW) and when we dont, reading the nutrition labels is fun. To the extent it is annoying, its less so (FOR ME) than ruling out whole categories of foods I like.

But not everything is for everyone, of course.
Brooklynborndad,

"Dads from Brooklin" may have it differently, but let me tell you about "moms" from...ughh..well ...born overseas, somewhere:

I don't ever buy any shoes with laces (only have an old pair of sneakers) because the time I would waste tying up the laces would be a major luxury for me. By the time I have a few breather minutes, I prefer to collapse on the couch or just ramble a bit on City-Data. Counting calories looks like an insane time-waster from where I stand.

I go by the "eye" and the nutrition-related knowledge I have. No need to count calories to figure out that by the time I start having more than a few French fries, calories are starting to...seriously add up.
So if I really have to face some of those French fries or something similar, I know to stop very, very early or ideally, to try to not have any at all.

As someone was saying earlier, all calories are not created equal.

You can make 1000 calories out of French fries and 1000 out of a combination of healthy foods. The nutrition you placed in your body with each option will be dramatically different although calories will be the same.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:09 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Quote:
Brooklynborndad,

"Dads from Brooklin" may have it differently, but let me tell you about "moms" from...ughh..well ...born overseas, somewhere:

I don't ever buy any shoes with laces (only have an old pair of sneakers) because the time I would waste tying up the laces would be a major luxury for me. By the time I have a few breather minutes, I prefer to collapse on the couch or just ramble a bit on City-Data. Counting calories looks like an insane time-waster from where I stand.

I go by the "eye" and the nutrition-related knowledge I have. No need to count calories to figure out that by the time I start having more than a few French fries, calories are starting to...seriously add up.
So if I really have to face some of those French fries or something similar, I know to stop very, very early or ideally, to try to not have any at all.

As someone was saying earlier, all calories are not created equal.

You can make 1000 calories out of French fries and 1000 out of a combination of healthy foods. The nutrition you placed in your body with each option will be dramatically different although calories will be the same.
You could take the time you post on C-D and use it to enter your calories online. It doesn't take long and it's the best way to know what you're consuming.

Far from being an "insane time waster," counting calories, carbs, fat, protein and fiber online last fall allowed me to lose 10 pounds in 6 weeks and I've easily kept it off since then. I stopped counting calories after about 8 weeks because I keep a pretty good counter in my head now.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:44 AM

2,296 posts, read 6,283,220 times
French fries should be a once a week treat once you've lost the weight. But good luck trying to include high carb, high fat foods in to your diet at all.....

Old 03-15-2011, 01:17 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon&lime View Post
French fries should be a once a week treat once you've lost the weight. But good luck trying to include high carb, high fat foods in to your diet at all.....
I eat carbs in moderation (and I have type O blood) and it's never been a problem. When I realized I'd gained about 10 pounds in 10 years I started counting calories, cut back on fats and carbs, increased protein and fiber and dropped the weight.

Overall, I'm eating fewer carbs than I did before I lost the weight, but I certainly haven't cut them out and my weight has remained stable.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:47 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,557,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon&lime View Post
You'll never be thin unless you give up your love of eating....... food is fuel...... and nothing else!

the weight watchers approach is quite different. My wife and I will go out for sushi, we will make terrific salads or fish with herbs, or greek yogurt with fruit - we are as much foodies as ever, and are both losing weight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss