Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 12:01 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,059,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
ok, how many high fat intakers work out that intensely?
Quite a few, myself included. High fat/low carb diets are pretty much the norm in powerlifting and bodybuilding circles depending on which cycle they are on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
the bodys starvation response. Doesnt sound like a natural approach to eating to me.
Do you even know what ketosis is? Ketosis and starvation are on completely different ends of the diet spectrum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 12:13 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,557,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Do you even know what ketosis is? Ketosis and starvation are on completely different ends of the diet spectrum.

er no

starvation ketosis - Google Search

my wife had hyperemesis in pregnancy, and the docs were very worried about starvation ketosis.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
er no

starvation ketosis - Google Search

my wife had hyperemesis in pregnancy, and the docs were very worried about starvation ketosis.
Click the Wiki link that comes up first and read it. It explains it pretty thoroughly. Pay special attention to this part.

Quote:
The ketogenic diet is a high-fat, adequate-protein, low-carbohydrate diet that in medicine is used primarily to treat difficult-to-control (refractory) epilepsy in children. The diet mimics aspects of starvation by forcing the body to burn fats rather than carbohydrates. Normally, the carbohydrates contained in food are converted into glucose, which is then transported around the body and is particularly important in fuelling brain function. However, if there is very little carbohydrate in the diet, the liver converts fat into fatty acids and ketone bodies. The ketone bodies pass into the brain and replace glucose as an energy source. An elevated level of ketone bodies in the blood, a state known as ketosis, leads to a reduction in the frequency of epileptic seizures.[1]
Right there, it tells you that it "mimics aspects of starvation" to accomplish it's goal. That simply cannot be done if you are actually starving yourself and every ketogenic diet makes this very clear. Now you can get similar effects with starvation but we're pretty clearly not talking about doing that here.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Click the Wiki link that comes up first and read it. It explains it pretty thoroughly. Pay special attention to this part.

Right there, it tells you that it "mimics aspects of starvation" to accomplish it's goal. That simply cannot be done if you are actually starving yourself and every ketogenic diet makes this very clear. Now you can get similar effects with starvation but we're pretty clearly not talking about doing that here.
I said, originally, that ketosis is the body's response to starvation. Nothing you have said contradicts that.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
I said, originally, that ketosis is the body's response to starvation. Nothing you have said contradicts that.
I chose my words poorly as I assumed we were both talking about ketogenic diets, but that piece I posted points out very clearly that ketosis can be obtained without starvation and is thus the basis for every keto diet known to man.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:
I chose my words poorly as I assumed we were both talking about ketogenic diets, but that piece I posted points out very clearly that ketosis can be obtained without starvation and is thus the basis for every keto diet known to man.

and my point was that a keto diet works by eliciting the same response in the body as starvation does.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:
and my point was that a keto diet works by eliciting the same response in the body as starvation does.
You made it sound as if keto diet = starvation though. Obviously we can both agree that is false.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:45 PM

Quote:
You made it sound as if keto diet = starvation though. Obviously we can both agree that is false.

related effects though

ketosis effects - Google Search

Old 03-18-2011, 09:20 PM

22,654 posts, read 24,581,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
ok, how many high fat intakers work out that intensely? Just doesn't make sense to take in more than double the calories for the same portion size. I'd much rather feel full and take in food that will be utilized by the body immediately as energy.
Uh, what am I Lance Armstrong....work out...rah rah. No, I work out 5 days a week, 30 minutes a day....30 minutes hard with no break, no problems for me. I do a modified cyclic ketogenic diet....eat no carbs for days on end...then have a carb meal....works great.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:22 PM

22,654 posts, read 24,581,931 times
Quote:
the bodys starvation response. Doesnt sound like a natural approach to eating to me.

Partially right, you can also have ketone bodies present due to the fact that you are eating high levels of dietary fat with no/little carbs.....hardly starvation. Any time you are losing fat, that means you are burning fat for energy...does not sound too unnatural to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss