Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2011, 04:33 PM

24,096 posts, read 32,443,737 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I put on fifteen lbs over the winter, and I want to lose those same pounds before Easter and for good!

I know what has worked best for me in the past - replacing 2 meal per day with Herbal life protein powder and adding a Lean Cuisine or other variety frozen dinner (or a similar home made dinner)When I reach my goal weight I simply replace lunch with a meal. I loved herbal life so much that I craved it!
Especially vanilla with a half cup of berries! The best!

The problem is that I am having no luck finding herbal life. The last time I found my self in this situation was about 10 yrs ago and herbal life worked for me.

Can anyone recommend a similar protein powder? Some inexpensive, store bought one such as Slim Fast seem to make me hungry.

My best guess is that they are too high in carbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 03:42 PM

24,096 posts, read 32,443,737 times
Any suggestions?

Old 03-21-2011, 04:00 PM

1,346 posts, read 3,074,947 times
super advanced whey protein, find it at Wal Mart. Low in carbs, high in protein, and very tasty. (I only use chocolate)

Old 03-22-2011, 01:51 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,057,740 times
EAS 100% whey protein. About $28 for a 5lb bag at Sam's Club.

Old 03-23-2011, 03:45 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,383,829 times
The EAS carb advantage drinks are much better. They don't taste all that great, but only 110 calories for 17 grams of protein and only one net carb. The powdered drinks have quite a few calories and you get even more from the milk (assuming you add milk instead of water). The super advanced mentioned earlier isn't bad if you insist on going that route, though. My personal favorite is the chocolate and I add a little bit of powdered peanut butter for flavor. Only problem is that stuff is pretty rare. I get it in the local commissary, but that's the only place I've ever seen it. All the good parts of peanut butter and only around 35 calories/serving if I remember right.

Old 03-23-2011, 03:59 PM

19,201 posts, read 16,679,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
The EAS carb advantage drinks are much better. They don't taste all that great, but only 110 calories for 17 grams of protein and only one net carb.

This is probably a dumb question but if they don't taste "all that great," why eat (or drink) it? Wouldn't it be better to lose the weight by eating regular healthy food that you can continue to eat after you lose the weight? I can't imagine eating or drinking something for the rest of my life that tastes bad (unless it was medicine). Just sayin'

Old 03-23-2011, 06:24 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,677,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
This is probably a dumb question but if they don't taste "all that great," why eat (or drink) it? Wouldn't it be better to lose the weight by eating regular healthy food that you can continue to eat after you lose the weight? I can't imagine eating or drinking something for the rest of my life that tastes bad (unless it was medicine). Just sayin'
well, id say that for the long term its better to use something that you enjoy. however, i know people that are happy to get the nutrition benefits and dont care about taste.

i think buying an rtd is a waste of money. buying powder is cheaper and at least equally as good (some believe better) than having an rtd. i see some people recommended some cheap whey concentrate. that may work, it also may cause some gas issues. one protein powder i drink is muscle milk. its the best tasting but its also got some extra calories from fat and carbs. if i wanted a decent quality powder that tasted already and was pretty pure, off the top of my head id probably say optimum gold. i went through a container of the caramel toffee fudge flavor and i liked it. if you are looking for something that has more vitamins thrown in then im not sure which of those to recommend.

Last edited by CaptainNJ; 03-23-2011 at 07:51 PM..

Old 03-23-2011, 08:40 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,768,804 times
If all you want is protein powder, find some dehydrated powdered egg white and mix a spoonful of it into fruit smoothies every day.

If you really want to revert back to that stuff you posted about in the OP, then find yourself an Herbalife dealer and buy some. You probably can't find it, because you're spelling their name wrong. It's not Herbal Life. It's Herbalife. It's an MLM that's been happily scamming people for decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss